Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help the wife and I decide between the 70D or the 85!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Frunk is bigger on the ordinary version, much smaller on the D version. If that makes a difference to you.

To put that into numbers, The main frunk space in RWD version is about 25" front-to-back, D versions only 17", plus there is a narrower "microwave" space in the RWD frunk that extends the middle back even further. All told, there is about double usable stowage space in RWD vs D frunk.

- - - Updated - - -

I believe only the rear motor contributes to regen, but I don't know for certain. Also Tesla controls the amount of regen through software and limits it to 60 kW because that is what the battery pack can accept.

So so while a dual drive car conceivably could regen harder than a single drive car it is limited by the battery. So no extra stopping power there really.

What they could do is divide the regen force between front and rear and therefore maybe reduce tire wear and improve grip. But as I said I don't know if they do it.

According to my local service center, regen occurs on both motors equally.

@Turdbol... this is the same discussion (70d vs 85) that my wife and I are having. What'd ya decide on and why?

Most responses here compare the technical aspects. When spouse acceptance factor is involved the best thing to do is to make her (or him but mostly it's her on these issues) take a test drive; multiple ones if necessary. I was originally going for a non-D version, possibly S85 but once my wife drove the D, she was sold on it right away. She loved the acceleration, drove it longer than I did and even said I was test driving like a little girl :). Problem solved!

Now all I have to do is stop her from test driving model X in the future :).

Another thing that influenced my wife was a video review by a woman (can't find it anymore but will post if I do). The reviewer talked about how she felt the inside space was not enough and how she was managing it. She also discussed kids, storage aspects and other things. She 'spoke' to my wife's concerns and my wife was much more receptive to that video than my spreadsheet with finances, the promise of not having to spend on gas and other arguments.