Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help thinking through new Model 3 charging options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks guys! I’m sure I’ll settle into my own pattern - human nature and all.

Coincidentally, I got my L14-30 adapter in the mail today, AND got an email saying my Red Model 3 LR has arrived at the Knoxville Delivery Center and is ready to be picked up. A surprise because my most recent EDD was 2/19-3/19. Will have to scramble a bit to get things lined up, but hopefully can get over there for delivery in the next few days. Yay!

Reactions: Braumin and bedoig
Update…

Have had our Model 3 LR since picking it up Saturday. First evening I used my L14-30 adapter to top off to 80%. This is the setup:

51867807786_88712ab38b_z.jpg

We also tried using the J1772 connector to make sure it worked at the nearby free charging at a TVA dam:

51866516173_f1542351da_z.jpg

We’ve also tried out a nearby Supercharger station, again, just to be sure it worked as well. Tomorrow I may verify the 14-50 adapter I have works with one of our RV pedestals, and the 120v adapter plugged into a standard outlet.

I think my bases are covered. Most of the time I’ll be using the L14-30 receptacle that also powers my hangar door. If there’s real concern about the wear from plugging and unplugging every few days to charge, I may take preventive action and replace the receptacle that has been in service for 2 years with a new one. Then maybe repeat every year or two.

Anyway, enjoying the car so far and thanks for all the advice.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Update…

Have had our Model 3 LR since picking it up Saturday. First evening I used my L14-30 adapter to top off to 80%. This is the setup:

51867807786_88712ab38b_z.jpg

We also tried using the J1772 connector to make sure it worked at the nearby free charging at a TVA dam:

51866516173_f1542351da_z.jpg

We’ve also tried out a nearby Supercharger station, again, just to be sure it worked as well. Tomorrow I may verify the 14-50 adapter I have works with one of our RV pedestals, and the 120v adapter plugged into a standard outlet.

I think my bases are covered. Most of the time I’ll be using the L14-30 receptacle that also powers my hangar door. If there’s real concern about the wear from plugging and unplugging every few days to charge, I may take preventive action and replace the receptacle that has been in service for 2 years with a new one. Then maybe repeat every year or two.

Anyway, enjoying the car so far and thanks for all the advice.
You are going to love the car. That's fantastic it arrived early!

There's a sticky thread which I'm sure you saw with lots of information on receptacles. I put in a 14-30R and I bought the regular one at Home Depot (leviton brand) and then saw all the horror stories of them melting so I swapped out to a Hubbell.

If you are going to be unplugging and plugging in the mobile connector you should maybe switch to that brand (depending on what you have now of course - there are some other good brands as well in the sticky thread) as it is WAY better built. The weight difference between my Leviton and the Hubbell was dramatic.

But not a huge rush. First enjoy the new ride!

Reactions: Rocky_H
You are going to love the car. That's fantastic it arrived early!

There's a sticky thread which I'm sure you saw with lots of information on receptacles. I put in a 14-30R and I bought the regular one at Home Depot (leviton brand) and then saw all the horror stories of them melting so I swapped out to a Hubbell.

If you are going to be unplugging and plugging in the mobile connector you should maybe switch to that brand (depending on what you have now of course - there are some other good brands as well in the sticky thread) as it is WAY better built. The weight difference between my Leviton and the Hubbell was dramatic.

But not a huge rush. First enjoy the new ride!

That seems like excellent advice. Pretty sure I got my L14-30 at the local Home Depot, so it was probably a Leviton or equivalent cheapie. The plug for my adapter cable as well. $75 or so for a better receptacle, maybe even every couple of years, seems like money well spent.

As far as melting, had it happen once to one of my 14-50 receptacles:

50432552582_3a715a517f.jpg

The problem was easily traced to a loose wire in the plug I had wired:

50437263642_159249a907.jpg

Leaving a terminal screw so loose the wire could pull free is simply not something I would typically do. But somehow it seems I must have. As my wife would say, Party Foul! And something to check periodically regardless.

Reactions: Rocky_H and Braumin
Leaving a terminal screw so loose the wire could pull free is simply not something I would typically do. But somehow it seems I must have.
These things with melting outlets are almost always a loose connection like that. One of the main things about the Leviton ones versus those other brands are how those screw terminals are built, with the shape of the wire receiving slots and the shape and type of screws. The Cooper and Hubbel, etc. have better structured parts that make it less likely to have those mistakes that lead to a loose wire. Leviton ones can be done OK, but it takes extra care to really get it right.

Thanks for all the input - much appreciated.

In the end, I installed the Hubbell L14-30R piggybacked onto my original.

51898592405_546160bbd6_z.jpg

Actually, the Hubbell is in the lower position, with my old receptacle piggybacked onto it.

And here in action…

51898276329_27cc0f31d9_z.jpg

I took the advice against constant plugging and unplugging to heart. In this setup, I wll only have to unplug my hangar door in the event of a power failure, in order to plug it into my generator. The Tesla EVSE would only very rarely need to be unplugged at all, and even then I could always just unplug the EVSE from its adapter.

I realize this is certainly not “to code”, but I think it’s safe enough for our personal use, and needing to charge at more than 20 mrph will be a very rare case.

Thanks for all the input - much appreciated.

51898592405_546160bbd6_z.jpg

Actually, the Hubbell is in the lower position, with my old receptacle piggybacked onto it.

And here in action…

I took the advice against constant plugging and unplugging to heart. In this setup, I wll only have to unplug my hangar door in the event of a power failure, in order to plug it into my generator. The Tesla EVSE would only very rarely need to be unplugged at all, and even then I could always just unplug the EVSE from its adapter.

I realize this is certainly not “to code”, but I think it’s safe enough for our personal use, and needing to charge at more than 20 mrph will be a very rare case.
This is definitely NOT to code. And you have both the door and the Tesla plugged in at the same time. Please don't do this.

Reactions: davewill

Wouldn't using the door while the car is charging overload the circuit and pop the breaker?