Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HELP!!! Toronto to Tobermory Overnight "Camping"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Yoona

NEWBIE Trader
May 3, 2017
Canada
Thinking of a quick roundtrip weekend travel from Toronto to Tobermory via 401W/400N, mainly to:

1) have a short walk/hike around the area upon arrival (weather permitting)
2) experience "camping" on my 75 S and "see the stars"
3) do some shopping if there is time left (to keep wife happy)

Haven't been there. So the questions are:

1) I know it's only approx 110km from the Owen Sound supercharger to Tobermory. If I do the overnight "camping" on the S (camper mode using only aircon mainly), will I have enough juice to return to Owen Sound? I don't plan to charge anywhere else in Tobermory but I'll bring the charging adapter just in case. Obviously, range anxiety is a concern getting back to OS if aircon is on all night and I need to drive around for hike/shop.
2) Any suggestions on where to park to "see the stars"?
3) Any suggestions on a good place for light hiking?
3) Any suggestions on a good place for shopping or flea market, etc?

Thanks!

In theory yes.
Bear in mind I have an X 100D, but based on some quick math I think it should work.

110 km one way means 220 km round trip. I don’t think that should be much more than 50% of your battery, but let’s use 60% for sake of argument.
Running my X’s ac for 8 solid hours was about 8% of my battery, so I’ll round that up to 10%, or 10kwh of battery usage.
40% of a 75 kWh pack comes out to about 30 kWh that’s not being used in getting too and from your start and end points. Even if I’m still a little low on how much battery it takes to get you to and fro, that’s still a good margin of battery for this trip.

Anyone have more concrete numbers for this? This is my educated guess, but I could always be wrong somewhere.

Range anxiety is tough the first time, but you should be fine. I have a model X 75D and took it to the Kawartha Lakes from the Barrie supercharger which was about 100kms each way for a long weekend. I actually got 379kms at 100% from the supercharger.

Even with the rated 350kms minus 220kms there and back leaves you with 130kms to burn for some A/C and puttering around. Sleeping at night, you won’t need the A\C up there :). Just remember to turn on energy saver mode so it’s not always trying to check in and find a cell signal.

Reactions: Yoona