TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Help: Trip planner woes

Discussion in 'Model S' started by apacheguy, Oct 11, 2015.

1. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

Events unfolding quickly. Left. Harris Ranch 30 min ago and headed S to Tejon. Nav abruptly rerouted at this point back to Harris. No message to slow down or charging required to destination. Just abrupt U turn required.

reset Nav to Tejon and removed all chargers. Says we will make it with 11% so I'm thinking fine no problem. Then it abruptly rerouted us back to Harris again. What the hell is going on? Making me very nervous.

avg 346 w/mi. Left Harris with 30% buffer. Still have substantial rated range buffer.

2. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Don't worry about it. These are the crappy nav issues that have been discussed before. The Trip Planning stuff does this a lot; I've had the same experience when doing the jump between Harris and Tejon - the software insists on making you go back.

3. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

+1 to what GG said, I had the exact same thing, and I left with a healthy reserve, but for some reason it kept telling me to turn around and go back.

4. apacheguy

Ok. Awesome. Looks like we're in the clear. Thanks guys.

5. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

I've had this happen to me in similar circumstances.
    The nav system needs a lot of work.

6. Forty Creek

Forty Creek Member

It's been a long time since the trip planner was pushed out (to eliminate range anxiety) and I wonder when we will see it fixed?

7. apacheguy

FWIW, ended up arriving with 29 miles. So not even a close call.

8. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

I arrived with 56 miles when it was telling me to go back to Harris ranch, I was really nervous since it was my first road trip.
    First and last time using teslas nav when on a road trip

9. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Tesla Nav = pretty darn bad. Unfortunate. A phone is better. Hope they up the game soon.

10. kort677

kort677 Active Member

at this point in ownership and having taken many long distance trips I know my car's capabilities and limits and I never use the nav trip planner, ever. The only time I ever came close to not making the next SC was weather and a poor decision.

11. svp6

svp6 Member

This is a known issue. Current version routes you through superchargers every time you will have less than 20% at destination (if I remember correctly). You have to tap on the trip panel then "remove all charging stops" from the trip. After that will you will have a fairly accurate estimate of the charge remaining. You will only have to turn on the energy app and watch on the trip panel how well you are doing, then adjust your speed if needed.

First time I had this, the Nav was trying to take me to the supercharger in Albert Lea when I was in front of my destination in Rochester. It also told me I will not be able to make it :tongue:

12. Sparky

Sparky Member

I had the same issue over the same route. But like others here, I knew the route well and knew how many miles of rated range was enough. What's unfortunate is the trip planner signals your phone app that you have enough charge to reach your next stop along your route and then freaks out 10 minutes down the road and tells you to turn around.
    On this same trip, after I ignored the warning and the "%charge remaining at my destination" crept into positive territory, the nav correctly routed me off I-5 for a short distance to avoid a long stretch of "red" where construction had severely slowed traffic.
    So, I haven't stopped using it completely. It's like having a friend navigating when they've fallen off their meds. Hardly the "end of range anxiety" but manageable when you've got things calibrated.

13. jhs_7645

jhs_7645 VIN: #3305

^^This (I can’t emphasis this enough.. it’s very helpful)

The trip planner will also have difficulty getting an accurate usage projection at the beginning of each leg of the trip, but that usually settles down once you’re on the freeway for 5-10 minutes.

14. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

I agree. I usually set my destination to the next charging stop and use the "Remove all charging stops" option. Then the Trip Planner energy graph gives me a very accurate estimate of my energy use and I can adjust my speed if necessary to make it to the charger. The Trip Planner graph is very accurate and makes continuous adjustments as you drive. It usually starts out a bit conservative but quickly adjusts to your speed, terrain, temperature, etc. I like to have about 10% left at the end of my trip as a buffer.

15. jsimon77

jsimon77 Member

I recently did a route and it has been charge for 15 minutes at one SC and then another 27min at the next SC.

Not sure why it just didn't have me charge for 42 min at one or the other.

16. artsci

artsci Sponsor

The trip planner is still a beta is it not? I turn it off as it's still very fubar. It's no good for planning trips:)

17. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

That's rather odd behavior even for trip planner.

I'm used to the re-routing back to where I just charged from. But, I'm not used to it doing it after I've removed all chargers.

If it did what it did to the OP to me I'd turn trip planner off.

18. Jeddi

Jeddi Member

Same issue here. First time doing that route so it was annoying. I cruise controlled the whole way @ 75mph, but if I would have known better I would have gone faster. BTW the whole way it was telling me to cross over to Fremont SC (30 minutes out of my way) which was really really annoying.

19. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I have found the same.

"The trip planner will also have difficulty getting an accurate usage projection at the beginning of each leg of the trip, but that usually settles down once you’re on the freeway for 5-10 minutes."