TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

HELP! Trip to the Miami Cruise Port

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by digitalboi, Aug 28, 2017.

1. digitalboi

digitalboi Member

HI TMC! In 20 days we will be taking a cruise out of the Miami Cruise port. We live in Orlando so we will drive the MS down of course! My problem is, the parking lots at the cruise ports do not have any EV charging stations. A quick look at PlugShare show a lot of options around; my question is, Has anyone done this before? What is the best place to park for a week that won't cost me a small fortune and let me keep my MS plugged in and charged up for my drive home?
    Thanks for the suggestions!

• Like x 1
  2. kort677

kort677 Active Member

the one time I cruised out of miami I was certain to charge up prior to parking because as you noted there are no chargers at the garage and I couldn't even find a 110 outlet to use. the garage is most convenient for parking and for me remote parking wasn't an option, so just park the car with at least 200 miles and upon return you could stop at the plantation SpC for a top off.

• Informative x 1
  3. Shaz

Shaz Member

I too would like to hear peoples experiences as I will also be taking the same trip next year.

4. digitalboi

digitalboi Member

Thanks @kort677 for the suggestion. I am trying to avoid stopping twice if possible. Using trip planner I can make it there and back with only one 20 min stop in Fort Drum SC which is fine. If I can find a place to keep it plugged in while we are gone I don't have to worry about stopping at the Plantation SC at all. If not I'll have to stop there on the way into Miami to charge up before I let the car sit for a week (I'm only expected to arrive with 20% and I am afraid thats not enough of a buffer to leave it for a week.
    I called around and every garage was either $25 or $35 a day just to park the car :-(

5. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

By next year you'll almost certainly have Superchargers in Brickell, Wynwood, Aventura and Coral Gables. Thus you can charge locally before and after if you wish. In the meantime there are other solutions...

• Like x 1
  6. kort677

kort677 Active Member

I believe that the costs to park at the cruise terminal was $15 per day however I couldn't find any outlets inside the garage. I would try to have at least a 50% charge when parking. enjoy.

7. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

There are no places where you can leave it for a week plugged in that I know of. However, there is a Tesla HPWC and three J1772 at the Hampton Inn in Brickell where the parking is $3.00 per hour (I don't know daily rate). There are lots of decent places around there to pass a couple of hours while you collect your buffer.

The City of Coral Gables has J1772 in most city lots where 24 hour parking is $12, and level 2 charging is free. You cannot leave the car charging there but you can charge before and after. There are lots of local restaurants and shopping near any of the garages. An Uber to the port from there is, out of rush hour, $25 or so and about 20 minutes.

8. digitalboi

digitalboi Member

Thanks @jbcarioca & @kort677 for the info and advice! I figured I need 13% to drive back to the Plantation SC and 28% for degradation for the 6 days we will be gone... SO if I arrive to the port with 45% that would give me just enough to get back to the Plantation SC... 50% for some extra buffer. EVTripping is showing me only needing to charge for 17 min at the Plantation SC to arrive with 50% so it seems very do-able.
    Only 13 days to go before we test this out, I will be sure to post and let you know how it all goes!

• Like x 1