TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

HELP: Trying not to destroy my antenna removing my dash cam mount

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by MajesticSound, Jun 27, 2014.

1. MajesticSound

MajesticSound Up is LOUDER

I got a dash cam (E-Prance Mini0801) it worked great for 2 weeks and then the video had issues. Decided to upgrade to the BlackVue Wi-Fi DR500GW.

I attached the mount on the front windshield to the right of the rear view mirror with the double stick tape on the antenna raised dots. Anybody have any ideas how to safely remove this without scraping the dots off?

2. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Soften it with a hairdryer, peel off carefully.

3. MajesticSound

Won't that soften up the dots also?

4. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Shouldn't do. Those dots stand up to really hot FL sunshine perfectly even after 18 months without going soft.

5. GaryREM

GaryREM Member

Those dots have nothing to do with antennas. Just provide nice transition between solid black area and clear glass and also block out sun.

6. MoeMistry

MoeMistry Local Vendor - SoCal

The dots are extremely hard to remove....you won't do anything to them by removing the dashcam. You couldn't remove them even if you tried...I believe they're in the glass. I'll double-check...I know the matrix on edge of windshield is in the glass itself...you cannot feel it

7. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Member

I also had the 801 mounted and then removed it. Once you get the corner of the mount up with a razor blade, you can usually "pop" the rest of the mount/adhesive off.

8. MajesticSound

Thanks for all the help, used the hair dryer and dental floss (Techmoan - Techmoan) he reviews dash cams so he's always taking them off. Everyones comments were appreciated.

9. Zroiron

Zroiron Poodle Pack Leader

The wife and I are planning to be in Ft Lauderdale in early August. Is there any chance we could meet you and see your setup? We want to install a dash cam in our car also.

10. MajesticSound

No problem at all. PM me with your info and I will do the same