Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help understanding software version numbering

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I note people here and YouTube talking about the features of the new 2020.40.x update. I got an update for my Model 3 last night that is numbered 2020.36.x. I assume the .40 is the more rapid “advanced” update path, which I currently do not have enabled.

Long story short, I want to understand the scheme for version numbers. I have not found one as most of the search hits are discussions of a specific version vs. another version. Is there a reference for the overall scheme somewhere?

The version number for mainline releases is YYYY.WW.B xxxx

YYYY - Year
WW - Week (e. g. 36 is forked in the 36th week of the year)
B - Build
xxxx - commit hash

For example, the version my 3 has is: 2020.36.11 ccacdb18f16, so it was forked on the 36th week of 2020, and is the 11th build on that branch.

Betas, limited-release, and early-access builds have different version numbering schemes that do not fully correlate with this pattern.

Its very easy and has been discussed many times. Tesla uses Year.WeekofYear.Build in the publicly visible build numbering scheme.

The initial interest will soon wear off. V11 will come and go, EAP/NoA/FSD and other features will be fixed or broken, refixed, rebroken, added, removed etc. Not much changes in terms of how the car drives.

Reactions: holmgang
Its very easy and has been discussed many times. Tesla uses Year.WeekofYear.Build in the publicly visible build numbering scheme.

The initial interest will soon wear off. V11 will come and go, EAP/NoA/FSD and other features will be fixed or broken, refixed, rebroken, added, removed etc. Not much changes in terms of how the car drives.

How does “V11” or “V10” mesh with the date-build-based numbering?

The version number for mainline releases is YYYY.WW.B xxxx

YYYY - Year
WW - Week (e. g. 36 is forked in the 36th week of the year)
B - Build
xxxx - commit hash

For example, the version my 3 has is: 2020.36.11 ccacdb18f16, so it was forked on the 36th week of 2020, and is the 11th build on that branch.

Betas, limited-release, and early-access builds have different version numbering schemes that do not fully correlate with this pattern.

OK, sounds reasonable. How do I know what version is “advanced”? Do we only find out when they are available?

How does “V11” or “V10” mesh with the date-build-based numbering?
VXX is kinda like the master UI change or extensive update that changes many parameters. It is indirectly related to the Year.Week.Bulid.Patch (2020.40.2.1) nomenclature. Also you can see different version available but can't do anything about when you get it, other than selecting the semi placebo Advanced switch.

Tesla Software Updates - Not a Tesla App

Vehicle Software Updates | Teslascope

• Helpful
Reactions: Phlier and adayley
For me, the major releases were as follows:

v9.0 - version 2018.39.7 installed on 2018-10-13
v10.0 - version 2019.32.11 installed on 2019-09-29
v10.2 - version 2019.40.50.1 installed on 2019-12-24

v11 software will come at some point and the only indication that it's v11 and not another v10.2 release will be a message in the release notes and possibly a "V11 IS COMING SOON!!!!!!" message in the Tesla app on your phone.

I personally equate the Advanced button to the Door Close button in an elevator. It doesn't really do anything, but it gives you a little feeling of power.

I've had the car since May 31, 2018 and have received 46 software updates since then. That's 2-3 weeks on average between updates. Some came very quick (shortest gap between updates was 2 days), but some have come after 6+ week delays. If you received a software update in the last 8 weeks, all is good. At some point, the Tesla servers will pick your vehicle for a software update and it will be made available for you to download.

TeslaFi has a page for firmware stats of cars it tracks (over 12k)
TeslaFi.com Firmware Tracker

At the moment 62% of cars on 2020.36.11 and 19% on 36.10.

Very few cars at the moment on the newer 2020.40 branch - for some reason rollout of this has been a lot slower than recent branches.
And in recent days a very small number of cars have received a 36.15 version, which might just be AvB testing a few features.

Even within Advanced it's a random rollout and some people in Advanced will get a new version up to a week before others - some distributions also seem to target various geographic regions.

From what I understand if on Standard you will typically get a version slightly later, but also won't receive as many sub versions along the way.

• Helpful
Reactions: adayley
OK, sounds reasonable. How do I know what version is “advanced”? Do we only find out when they are available?
You might be mixed up with that "Advanced" toggle in software update screen. That does not mean you are getting more advanced version of the software. It just means you are opting in to get new version updates as soon as possible instead of waiting for a more stable version with less bug.

Very few cars at the moment on the newer 2020.40 branch - for some reason rollout of this has been a lot slower than recent branches.
This simultaneously makes sense and is puzzling.

It makes sense as it's a new "FSD" behavior and is rightly being rigorously tested to make sure it doesn't need to be held back.

It's puzzling as it's essentially a reversion to the behavior we had before stop light / stop sign control, where the car would just keep rolling if there's a path forward.

You might be mixed up with that "Advanced" toggle in software update screen. That does not mean you are getting more advanced version of the software. It just means you are opting in to get new version updates as soon as possible instead of waiting for a more stable version with less bug.
I'm quoting this post just to help ensure the OP sees it. Pretty important distinction to be made here.

TeslaFi has a page for firmware stats of cars it tracks (over 12k)
TeslaFi.com Firmware Tracker

At the moment 62% of cars on 2020.36.11 and 19% on 36.10.

Very few cars at the moment on the newer 2020.40 branch - ...

It’s funny to me that YouTube Tesla channels and Tesla or electric vehicle websites explode with feature demos and descriptions of 2020.40 and yet, very few cars have 2020.40 branch. Not that I don’t believe the data from TeslaFi.

TeslaFi (and similar sites) have only a relatively small number of users compared to all Teslas on the road but can be argued to be a reasonable statistical sample of "the fleet", but are only a sample and are subject to statistical error when showing these data.

• Informative
It’s funny to me that YouTube Tesla channels and Tesla or electric vehicle websites explode with feature demos and descriptions of 2020.40 and yet, very few cars have 2020.40 branch. Not that I don’t believe the data from TeslaFi.

I mean most people on here don't have .40.x yet. It's not really that hard to believe. I'm on 36.11 like a lot of people and have the advance option chosen.

• Informative
This ^ plus believe me, it doesnt really matter. All these 'tick' updates are fairly meh and introduce as many bugs as they fix, or break some functionality AP/EAP/FSD users (read - unpaid beta testers) got use to with each 'tock'... just to fix it on the next 'tick'.

Eventually AP2.5 and then 3.0 cars will not get many updates at all, if any. Maybe cosmetic GUI changes if their MCUs are deemed able to handle it. This is where AP1/2.0 cars are now.