Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help understanding the numerous trims so I can purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So here is my experience now, I went to Tesla's store in San Diego yesterday to test drive the Model S LR+ , P and 3 LR.

I first drove the 3 LR

The car is nice, It's small but once I adjusted my seats it was ok, I drove it city and highway, it's fast, I didn't like that it didn't beep where there were cars next to me on the highway but I am assuming that's a feature you enable somewhere ( blind sport alert ), the car is noisy, I was surprised with the road noise on the highway but that's probably because of the lack on insulation under the panoramic roof, when flooring the car, it's very light not very stable, doesn't stick on the road like German cars does and the braking power was ok, that 3 stuff were cons to me.

Now we move on the Model S Performance, the lady explained to me that the standard mode is LR+ and Ludicrous+ is Performance, lets start with what I liked, the car is faaaaaast, my balls got stuck to my A$$ when I floored the car from a stop, I've never been in anything fast and powerful like this, it's freaking awesome, I think I can go to track and humiliate everyone all day :)), more pros to me? it looks very nice and that's about it, I am not impressed by the technology because I am not a big fan of it, I'd rather have Tesla give me performance and take away all autopilot capabilities for less $$.
I was disappointed big time by Model S, I drove the Performance model with all the bells and whistles, performance brakes, better suspension, etc... the noise inside the car was surprisingly similar to the M3, the same car with more space, handles better but when comparing handling this is Performance VS LR+ so must handles better, the braking power felt similar to me and surprisingly that center console was a pain in my butt, I stretch my legs and my right knee was hitting the end of the center console where it gaps with the lower part, my left knee hit the door handles, it was uncomfortable in all ways, the only way to make it work is to sit in an equally uncomfortable position.

The noise part really pissed me off in both cars, driving Beemers, Benz, Porsches, that's never an issue, certainly, an Avalon has tons better isolation than a Model S, a Panamera or a 5 series, E series has way better isolation and I couldn't understand how $48K M3 has same noise like $92K Model S, 7 series feel much better than 3 series.

Now I know this review is very harsh and will piss a lot here but that's my personal experience, I guess I had very high expectation as I thought high $$$$$ mean everything good, the fun factor on both cars is 0, yes you get bragging rights about summon mode or the very fast 0-60 but to me as a cars guy who daily drive a grand sport corvette, my car is a blast to drive, It will be a big commitment to give the amazing traction, handling, engine sound, shifting gears to a car that requires 0 skills to drive.

My final outcome, I can not justify spending money on the Model S, M3 does the job and saves you tons of money, I understand the fastest I can do is 3.1 VS 2.3 but that's ok, I love speed but to go 0.8 seconds less and spend $37000 is not worth it, the LR+ 4.2 felt faster than the S 3.7.

They don't have M3 Performance here in San Diego, so I'll decide once I drive it, after all those cons that I mentioned, I still lean towards Tesla with the LR+ and the $2K software boost in mind, to be fair, the car has a panoramic roof, big screen, good Nav, SPEED and great gas savings and I like those features.

If I can find the Stealth at a good saving I'll get it over performance because I wasn't impressed with the Model S performance package so I'll safely assume the M3 will be the same.

I'll keep you posted with any further updates, I am very thankful for all your comments here, It clarified everything and answered all my questions.

Now I know this review is very harsh and will piss a lot here
Doesn't piss me off. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on what they like/don't like.

Hope you're able to find one that checks all the boxes for you.

BTW, the Performance Model 3 suspension is pretty nice. It handles like a go-cart. Go check out the skid pad numbers on it. ;) If I didn't have a bad back, I'd have it.

Doesn't piss me off. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on what they like/don't like.

Hope you're able to find one that checks all the boxes for you.

BTW, the Performance Model 3 suspension is pretty nice. It handles like a go-cart. Go check out the skid pad numbers on it. ;) If I didn't have a bad back, I'd have it.

I didn't get the chance to drive one yet, looking forward to, what do you think of the 2018 M3 Performance models? I am found one with low mileage at $44k, it's $11.5K below 2021 M3 with the same color and interior options factoring the $1500 CA clean air incentive, anything I am missing between the two? this is Performance not stealth.
Fast and Fuel savings make this little thing makes sense, a 3.5 0-60 car won't get you anything better than 15mpg the way I drive :D

Last edited:
what do you think of the 2018 M3 Performance models?
I think that if you're looking to get a really fast car at a bargain, you're doing the right thing by looking at 2018's. They're now old enough that they're finally taking a depreciation hit, and are a great price/performance deal.

Where else are you going to get mid 3 second 0-60 and 1g skid pad for under $50k? That would be a tall order to fill, yet the 2018 Performance Model 3 manages to tick both boxes.

That's a good find. I hope you're able to arrange a test drive soon!

Reactions: MoparGuy
If road noise is an issue for you then you are better off with the 18” wheels on the M3. The 20” wheels on the Performance are significantly noisier with the ultra-low profile rubber. An M3 Performance stealth or LR AWD with accel boost are probably your best bets overall.

I am finding those at $50K-$52K, a M3 P, is $53.5K from Tesla, not worth buying one at least at those prices.
Perhaps only for me, the Stealth configuration has greater value than the “+” variant due simply to the fact that it maintains all that I want (power, quickness, 18/19” (lighter) wheels, standard (lighter) brakes, no spoiler) and came at a mere $2000 premium (same as the acceleration boost of today) over a LR AWD. I used the $7000 in savings to add a proper MPP coilover suspension dialed to the perfect ride height/performance/comfort balance (for a daily driver) and then took the car to Chicago Auto Pros for full-body paint correction, front PPF and full ceramic coating. In the end, I’m into the car for the full price of a + variant, however, in my opinion, I have a car that is so much more. No spoiler (sorry, not my bag), no brakes that merely add weight but do nothing for on-road performance but do limit wheel options, no 20s (high tire wear, heavy, damage-prone, noisy but good looking) and no compromises. IMO, there’s a reason why Stealths trade at the prices they do. There is no one-size fits all, and we all clearly have different needs/wants/expectations so the opinions expressed above are merely my own and may not reflective of others’ experiences. Good luck and stay safe.

Reactions: BetterSlowDown
I'll keep you posted with any further updates, I am very thankful for all your comments here, It clarified everything and answered all my questions.

Based on your review, sounds like you should test drive the Mach E before pulling the trigger on a Tesla. It will likely give you enough daily driver performance for your needs, with a more refined ride. Tesla stinks at suspension, which is why I was compelled to replace the suspension on my Model 3.

You'll get the $7500 rebate with the Mach E, which will put you closer to the price of a used high-spec Model 3.

Honestly, after reading your personal review, I am surprised you're even still considering a Tesla.

Thank you, I've noticed the price difference isn't much but there are some deals, I found 2018 AWD LR with 15K miles, Red, for $40K, it's $7K below 2021, not much but considering how slow Tesla depreciates, it's not bad.
I wouldn't say Teslas are "slow" to depreciate e.g., a 2018 M3 Performance with standard paint and interior, EAP/FSD would've retailed new for around $73k or $66k after factoring in federal tax credit available at the time. That same car today on the retail used market can be had for less than $48k (see: https://www.tesla.com/used/5YJ3E1EB6JF106549) and wholesale/trade value would be thousands less than that.

Depreciation on other Teslas like the MS and MKX have been even worse.

IMO, there’s a reason why Stealths trade at the prices they do.
You and I got lucky; we bought our cars back when they were a mere $2k premium over the LR AWD. That's not the case anymore.

For a while during 2020, you could actually order a "stealth" Performance Model 3 right off of Tesla's configurator. But it was the exact same price as the full Performance version, it was no longer $2k over the LR AWD. Since then, they've completely removed it from the configurator, and the few new Stealths that have popped up new carry the full Performance price tag.

IMO, that is why they are selling used for the prices we're currently seeing. But really it boils down to supply and demand. And it's pretty apparent that our unicorns are still in pretty high demand.

I'd love to sell my car and get a new "refreshed" Performance Model 3, but unfortunately the Performance suspension is a no-go for me. With 8 levels of my spine fused and associated nerve damage in my back, even the standard suspension is a bit on the firm side for this old man. :(

I guess I could go ahead and do it, then soften up the suspension, but the divorce proceedings would drive the cost up too much; my wife loves our Tesla more than me. And ya know... I'm OK with that. :D

You and I got lucky; we bought our cars back when they were a mere $2k premium over the LR AWD. That's not the case anymore.

For a while during 2020, you could actually order a "stealth" Performance Model 3 right off of Tesla's configurator. But it was the exact same price as the full Performance version, it was no longer $2k over the LR AWD. Since then, they've completely removed it from the configurator, and the few new Stealths that have popped up new carry the full Performance price tag.

IMO, that is why they are selling used for the prices we're currently seeing. But really it boils down to supply and demand. And it's pretty apparent that our unicorns are still in pretty high demand.

I'd love to sell my car and get a new "refreshed" Performance Model 3, but unfortunately the Performance suspension is a no-go for me. With 8 levels of my spine fused and associated nerve damage in my back, even the standard suspension is a bit on the firm side for this old man. :(

I guess I could go ahead and do it, then soften up the suspension, but the divorce proceedings would drive the cost up too much; my wife loves our Tesla more than me. And ya know... I'm OK with that. :D

The LR AWD with boost gives you pretty much the same end result as the original stealth for pretty much the same price.

For those not all that bothered about accel from a standstill, the standard LR AWD has identical acceleration to the P above around 50 mph.

Also worth noting that 0-60 times for the P are quoted with roll out, while all the other models are not. I think a standard LR AWD is 3.9 vs 3.1 using the same measurement protocol. So a boosted LR would be around 3.4 vs 3.1 for a P.

They are all very quick cars! The P and LR boost models just have that extra snap off the line if that matters to you. Once rolling they are all pretty much the same as multiple tests have demonstrated.

For me personally the LR has enough power off the line. It’s at the top end where all these cars start to feel more mundane and the P offers zero advantage there other than a higher maximum speed if you can make use of it.

The LR AWD with boost gives you pretty much the same end result as the original stealth for pretty much the same price.

Two “pretty much” statements do not make a right statement.

A “pre-thrashed” stealth P would be less attractive used

Any evidence that a Stealth is any more “pre-thrashed” than an P+ or an AWD+ on the used market? In my case, it’s exactly the opposite—I baby my rare and irreplaceable Stealth! YMMV

Reactions: Phlier and MoparGuy
Any evidence that a Stealth is any more “pre-thrashed” than an P+ or an AWD+ on the used market? In my case, it’s exactly the opposite—I baby my rare and irreplaceable Stealth! YMMV

That's why I said I would buy a used standard AWD and then add the boost afterward. Then you know for sure it hasn't been repeatedly hammered off the line.

I think that if you're looking to get a really fast car at a bargain, you're doing the right thing by looking at 2018's. They're now old enough that they're finally taking a depreciation hit, and are a great price/performance deal.

Where else are you going to get mid 3 second 0-60 and 1g skid pad for under $50k? That would be a tall order to fill, yet the 2018 Performance Model 3 manages to tick both boxes.

That's a good find. I hope you're able to arrange a test drive soon!

That's why I am here, great performance and I am finding the 2018s at $45K on average, which is hard deal to beat, I change cars every year so that's why I always buy used, getting mid 3 seconds and not spend tons on money on gas is really what brought me here.

Reactions: MJP.P3D-
If road noise is an issue for you then you are better off with the 18” wheels on the M3. The 20” wheels on the Performance are significantly noisier with the ultra-low profile rubber. An M3 Performance stealth or LR AWD with accel boost are probably your best bets overall.

I'll keep that in mind regarding the tires, I am shopping around, I'll take my time, I usually take my time to get a great deal, if I end with LR AWD then I am purchasing the boost same day.

Perhaps only for me, the Stealth configuration has greater value than the “+” variant due simply to the fact that it maintains all that I want (power, quickness, 18/19” (lighter) wheels, standard (lighter) brakes, no spoiler) and came at a mere $2000 premium (same as the acceleration boost of today) over a LR AWD. I used the $7000 in savings to add a proper MPP coilover suspension dialed to the perfect ride height/performance/comfort balance (for a daily driver) and then took the car to Chicago Auto Pros for full-body paint correction, front PPF and full ceramic coating. In the end, I’m into the car for the full price of a + variant, however, in my opinion, I have a car that is so much more. No spoiler (sorry, not my bag), no brakes that merely add weight but do nothing for on-road performance but do limit wheel options, no 20s (high tire wear, heavy, damage-prone, noisy but good looking) and no compromises. IMO, there’s a reason why Stealths trade at the prices they do. There is no one-size fits all, and we all clearly have different needs/wants/expectations so the opinions expressed above are merely my own and may not reflective of others’ experiences. Good luck and stay safe.

I like the stealth but the prices are high, 2021 Performance is $53.5K, stealth is like $50K with some miles and one year less of warranty however I am looking, I'll take my time, can you elaborate more about the suspension modification you did, did you do it for more comfort of for track days?

Based on your review, sounds like you should test drive the Mach E before pulling the trigger on a Tesla. It will likely give you enough daily driver performance for your needs, with a more refined ride. Tesla stinks at suspension, which is why I was compelled to replace the suspension on my Model 3.

You'll get the $7500 rebate with the Mach E, which will put you closer to the price of a used high-spec Model 3.

Honestly, after reading your personal review, I am surprised you're even still considering a Tesla.

not a fan of small SUVs, I like big bulky boxes like Navigator, Yukon, those smaller ones aren't really my type.

I wouldn't say Teslas are "slow" to depreciate e.g., a 2018 M3 Performance with standard paint and interior, EAP/FSD would've retailed new for around $73k or $66k after factoring in federal tax credit available at the time. That same car today on the retail used market can be had for less than $48k (see: https://www.tesla.com/used/5YJ3E1EB6JF106549) and wholesale/trade value would be thousands less than that.

Depreciation on other Teslas like the MS and MKX have been even worse.

I believe the depreciation here is more of Tesla screwing the owners, after spending couple of hours here at the for sale forum I am surprised to see those$ 130 K, $140K window stickers of model S Teslas when today you can get the Performance for $91K same goes with M3 P, now I can get it for $53.5K in CA, VS back it was $66K like you said for pretty much the same car unless I am missing something, I highly doubt the $53.5K car will be offered at a cheaper price in the future but I could be wrong.

For those not all that bothered about accel from a standstill, the standard LR AWD has identical acceleration to the P above around 50 mph.

Also worth noting that 0-60 times for the P are quoted with roll out, while all the other models are not. I think a standard LR AWD is 3.9 vs 3.1 using the same measurement protocol. So a boosted LR would be around 3.4 vs 3.1 for a P.

This is interesting, thanks.

Did anyone else notice that "MoparGuy" drives a Vette GS? :D:)

Mopars, I love Mopars, waiting for the new Charger assuming Dodge will refresh it at some point, it's long due.
I sold my V8 Charger and bought the Vette but I still love Mopars, will always do, I co-founded the Chargers Club in Iraq 8 years ago, today we have 419,000 members in our group on FB, most of them own/owned/will own one, very hard to meet because thousands show to our club events, our challenge is to find a place that could fit us all, I left my country 5.5 years ago though.

Reactions: HankLloydRight