TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

help w/ pack rats in Model S

Discussion in 'Model S' started by George S. Bower, Aug 11, 2018.

1. George S. Bower

They can easily get into the front trunk area (below actually) but above all the plates on the bottom of the car. Great place for nest.

Question:

If I want to make an inspection of that area of the car in the front (Like where A/C comp is and stuff)

Should I go in from the frunk area or the bottom of the car /skid plate area??????

Thx,
    George

2. David.85D

David.85D Member

It’s real easy to remove the frunk liner. From memory...

Remove all your stuff from the frunk

Disconnect the light and emergency release button (they pull out, then disconnect)

Remove the gasket

Remove the trim panels to the left and right and rear of the frunk (think it’s just the funny rubber topped screw on the left and right - turn it with your fingers. Rear clips in)

Remove the carpet.

Push the rubber plug that seals the light wire through.

Remove the two bolts at the back and two nuts at the front of the frunk hard liner.

Lift out, wiggling those two wires through and loose.

Really just a 5 minute job. 2 minutes the second time.

3. David.85D

David.85D Member

My recollection is for the smaller frunk on D models and newer cars.

4. George S. Bower

Thx,
    If I need to inspect the rear motor can I do the same and pull out plastic in back trunk area?

5. Lasttoy

Lasttoy Member

There are youtube videos

6. David.85D

David.85D Member

To see the rear motor you would have to take the plastic panels off from under the car. Just a bunch of plastic rivets and a few screws. Much easier with the rear wheels on ramps. It’s the first step in removing the rear bumper cover if you want to look for videos.

When you get it loose, expect a bunch of sand and road debris to fall on you. Wear goggles...

7. unbelievable

unbelievable Member

#7 unbelievable, Aug 11, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    For my D with smaller frunk, I followed the YouTube videos and everything went fine until I'd undone the bolts. When I tried to remove the frunk, I realised I have a large plastic tray with two rubber hoses attached to it, just under the windscreen and attached to the frunk. (None of the videos I watched included this tray). The lower, loose ends of the rubber hoses have clips on, and to this day I don't know if they need to be attached to anything important. I assumed the tray's function is to channel rain and standing water away and clipped the hoses in a way that allowed the hoses to drain water out the bottom of the car.

8. George S. Bower

Thanks all for the help. Going on vacation for a week. I'll dig into the frunk when I get back.

9. SKRGO

SKRGO Member

You need to call Joseph Carter The Mink Man to clean-out the Pack Rats

VIEWER DISCRETION ADVISED!