Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Help] What's my Model 3 SR+ range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

I'm planning a longer trip and I need your help in figuring out the range of my Model 3 SR+.

Facts:
- battery charged at 90% - 327km range
- I enter a destination 200km away -> the navigator tells me I will reach there with 10%
- 10% = approx 30-35km

How is this possible? There is around 100km missing in range for this trip.
I attached some screenshots with these facts, plus also the historical consumption of the car + the average consumption in the last 50km.

Is the difference based only on the fact that the car will consume more on the highway?
Is there something I am missing here?

I appreciate the help.
Cheers!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-10-24 at 00.37.29.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-10-24 at 00.37.29.jpeg
    313.7 KB · Views: 94
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-10-24 at 00.37.52.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-10-24 at 00.37.52.jpeg
    125.2 KB · Views: 82
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-10-24 at 00.38.11.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-10-24 at 00.38.11.jpeg
    303.2 KB · Views: 87
Hi everyone,

I'm planning a longer trip and I need your help in figuring out the range of my Model 3 SR+.

Facts:
- battery charged at 90% - 327km range
- I enter a destination 200km away -> the navigator tells me I will reach there with 10%
- 10% = approx 30-35km

How is this possible? There is around 100km missing in range for this trip.
I attached some screenshots with these facts, plus also the historical consumption of the car + the average consumption in the last 50km.

Is the difference based only on the fact that the car will consume more on the highway?
Is there something I am missing here?

I appreciate the help.
Cheers!

As i understand it, the official range is calculated using city and freeway driving combination, city driving involves slowing and braking which cause regeneration, when you are only freeway non stop, the regeneration is very minimal, hence the car not getting the range you expect

...There is around 100km missing in range for this trip...

It's about right.

If I drive conservatively in good weather without HVAC, I would lose at least 50 miles or 80 km.

Most don't drive conservatively and can't live without the HVAC so the missing 100km in your case is right on point.

By the way, on the consumption screen, there are two tabs:

1) Consumption which is shown in your picture

and

2) Trip: This would show how its graph depending on elevations and other factors.

As i understand it, the official range is calculated using city and freeway driving combination, city driving involves slowing and braking which cause regeneration, when you are only freeway non stop, the regeneration is very minimal, hence the car not getting the range you expect
At 55-60 mph (90-95 kph) on 2 lane back roads I click off 1 mile of range for every mile I travel in my Model Y. I have not really had the chance to drive a long distance at 70mph on the highway. That being said, I can tell you that it does not take may jumps on the peddle, Seeing how quickly I can go from 0 to Speed Limit, can and does suck range up quickly.

The car will guesstimate your range based on past driving, which is affected by your driving habits and external factors like elevation changes, wind, rain, temperature, etc. Your wh/km average seems good. If there were days when you used more wh/km for any of those reasons, it may be affecting the guesstimation. The only way to truly find your range is to drive from 100%-0% at a constant speed on a nice day on a flat road. Short of that, what I did was drive nicely for over an hour on a flat highway on a nice day, noting the % battery when I started and when I stopped to charge (I measured supercharger to supercharger and the TezLab app gave me those percentages). Then I took the miles I drove (again listed in the app), divided it by the percentage of battery used, and multiplied by 100 to get the full range - it was much better than the car regularly predicts. I was at a constant-ish speed (60-65 mph) so no bursts of speed to throw off the range. I bought my car used (April 2019 build and I bought it July 2020) - TezLab's assessment of my range went from 304 to 307 in the first 12 weeks of owning. Now that I'm trying to just enjoy the car and not worry about range, I'm sure that assessment will fall again. Ha!