Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help: Where to Buy Desiccant Bag?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, as I posted yesterday, screwed up my cooling system, yadda yadda.

ANYWAY

I found everything I need online except for the damn desiccant bag 1007717-00-A
My local service center can't sell parts, closest one that can (if they will) is 6 hours away.

Does anyone happen to know where I could buy this thing otherwise, or have a service center close to them that will sell them one and ship it to me? (obviously I'd pay for everything)

1007717-00-A desiccant bag, I bought mine on eBay for $28 with free shipping.

Air conditioning refrigerant (systems using R134a) 1.70 lb (1.66 lb minimum, 1.74 lb maximum) 770 g (750 g minimum, 790 g maximum)
POE ND-11 Air conditioning oil 5.3 oz (weight) 150 g (non-condutive)

do not use traditional PAG ac oil, it is conductive and will cause HVIL errors (High Voltage Isolation Fault) this is true for all hybrid and electric vehicles.

• Informative
Reactions: Art VandeIay
I just asked the extremely helpful member M0rpH3x that exact question over in the thread Salvage Car Owners Support Group. He posted about recharging his AC system himself a few years ago and I'd like to get more details and do the same to my car.

Rooter wrote: "The desiccant bag is in the right (supercool) condenser, in a vertical manifold. There's a screw cap on the bottom. You can save a couple bucks on eBay, or just buy one from Tesla."

Air-conditioning dos and don’ts: Refrigerants and the law.

Nevertheless, repeat after me: It is illegal to vent refrigerant. Don’t do it. As I’ve said, R12 is a nasty ozone-destroying chemical and should never be released to the environment under any circumstances, so in addition to being illegal to vent it, you have a moral obligation not to vent it. R134a is not an ozone-destroying agent, but it is a greenhouse gas, and is illegal to vent as well. If you’re resurrecting the A/C in a vintage car, the vast majority of the time the refrigerant has long since leaked out, but if your car has refrigerant in it, and you need to open up the A/C system to work on it, spend a little money and take the car to an A/C shop. Stay on the right side of the law, the environment, and your conscience, and don’t vent refrigerant.

FYI, having this done again tomorrow as I’m about to hit 150,000 miles, it’s hot as balls here, and I’ve started to notice some decreased AC performance and occasionally getting the “cabin cooling reduced” message where the car diverts as much cooling as possible to the battery.

Total cost in 2022: $340. $10 parts, $330 labor. 😆

3F99A423-5EE0-419A-8DBE-BEF960F136D6.jpeg

Reactions: Bart57266
@ucmndd Have you checked in front of your condensers? I was surprised to find a bunch of leaves, dirt etc blocking 1/3 of mine, on the outside edges. Crank your AC to max while parked (might even need to be supercharging), so that your front louvers open, and peak inside.

The desiccant was easy to change (after recovering the hfc134), just unscrew the bumper bolt from passenger side, pull the bumper out a little bit, and you get access to the desiccant bolt right up from the bottom, without having to removing the condenser.