Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help! White vs Midnight Silver, and what wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's the skinny, I grew up in So Cal and had all the modded cars one could imagine, Turbo Integra in high school, E46 BMW dropped on 19s, tv, etc. in college, and also had a Chevy truck on the ground and lifted on 35s, so I was a "car guy" all through college. 15 years ago I moved to the midwest for work, and haven't modded a thing since. I'm ~40 and do outside sales for a consulting firm, my clients are older, educated, wealthy and rather conservative. So the last thing I need is a flashy car or a car that looks like its owned by the 22 year-old version of me!

I ordered a M3 the other day, and have to finalize my colors tomorrow to ensure 6/30 delivery and tax credit. Need to decide on:

1) Color - I love silver but without that I don't love any other colors. I am debating on white/white which I think shows the lines of the car best, really shows how moden/advanced the design is, very clean looking, but afraid it will look too japanese (ie my white turbo integra), or too young, or too feminine. Keep in mind I'm in a suit and tie taking clients out every day. Other option is the midnight silver, which looks rich, masculine, more sophisticated, but I just find it to be a ugly gray (my current car is a true charcoal, this obviously has a lot more blue/purple in it).

2) Wheels - I ordered the 19s because the 18s to me are simply not an option, hideous, but for the cost of the 19s plus the value of the 18s I'd forgo, I could easily get a nice pair of aftermarket 19s or 20s. Similar to my color concern, I want the car to look nice but not really look "modded" or too unprofessional. Weight is an issue since i drive ~800 miles a week so want to try and maximize range. Ive seen a lot of opinions, some say the 5-6 weight increase on the 20s is huge, others say its more the tires. I don't need racing tires, I'd be happy with a firmer tire built for range over performance. How impactful are wheels with less sticky tires that weight more?

This is all due tomorrow and would appreciate insight from others? Thanks in advance guys!

given the need for a "adult" car, i would go with gray. i went with gray because i hate black and the other colors were vetoed by my wife lol that said, i've had quite a few gray cars now. consider going with the aero wheels and taking the caps off. looks pretty good on the gray car. use the funds saved for a set of summer wheels and tires. its snows a good amount where you live. thats what im doing with mine.

Reactions: MOD220
given the need for a "adult" car, i would go with gray. i went with gray because i hate black and the other colors were vetoed by my wife lol that said, i've had quite a few gray cars now. consider going with the aero wheels and taking the caps off. looks pretty good on the gray car. use the funds saved for a set of summer wheels and tires. its snows a good amount where you live. thats what im doing with mine.

As much as I detest the 18s, given the mileage I drive (still not sure this car will work, I have days I drive 3-400 miles and hate to spend time at a SC mid day and hear its not good for battery long term), in the winter I may be forced to use 18s as by winter I'll start seeing degradation and the cold will chip away on range as well. at least that will cut down on annual tire costs! (but damn I hate those wheels and never been a fan of black wheels)

At your mileage level, I would certainly recommend the 18's. Take the ugly covers off when you want "decent" looks, and put them on when you do travel your 400 mile days. At the very least, they can become your winter wheels and you can get some sharp looking, and light, 20s to look decent.

At your mileage level, I would certainly recommend the 18's. Take the ugly covers off when you want "decent" looks, and put them on when you do travel your 400 mile days. At the very least, they can become your winter wheels and you can get some sharp looking, and light, 20s to look decent.

I wish I could grab an S and leave it stock, but the 50% cost premium over M3 is hard to justify, that said, the unlimited battery warranty is appealing. what do you think of color scenario?

Have you seem them all in person?
I was leaning towards blue or white from pictures, but after seeing them all in person I went with the MSM, which I think looks far better in real life than it does in pictures.
Again, it's too subjective for anyone to really give you advice. Go check them all out, and see which one makes your heart beat a little faster.

Starting to reconsider the S, I drive 40k miles a year so the unlimited warranty and unlimited super charging help close the cost gap vs model 3. I also think the S looks much more “grown up” even with 21s. That said the “outdated technology” scares me a bit...

The difference between the S and the 3 is crazy. IMO, the 3 is much more of a drivers car with a minimalist interior. The S interior seemed outdated to me. I ordered the M3P with MSM and black/white interior and couldn’t love this car any more. I am also in my early 40s in a professional role and this car is just incredible. Plus you won’t find the V3 computer in any MS.

side note - at what point does the cold really impact the car, at what temperature? Ohio is not as bitter cold as upper midwest states, but trying to calculate now many months/miles I'll be impacted by the noticeable loss of range...

Any time you need the heater impacts the range. More heat the more impact.

As far as efficient tires check this out

Afraid of loosing Aero efficiency vs Cool looking Wheels?

Here's the skinny, I grew up in So Cal and had all the modded cars one could imagine, Turbo Integra in high school, E46 BMW dropped on 19s, tv, etc. in college, and also had a Chevy truck on the ground and lifted on 35s, so I was a "car guy" all through college. 15 years ago I moved to the midwest for work, and haven't modded a thing since. I'm ~40 and do outside sales for a consulting firm, my clients are older, educated, wealthy and rather conservative. So the last thing I need is a flashy car or a car that looks like its owned by the 22 year-old version of me!

I ordered a M3 the other day, and have to finalize my colors tomorrow to ensure 6/30 delivery and tax credit. Need to decide on:

1) Color - I love silver but without that I don't love any other colors. I am debating on white/white which I think shows the lines of the car best, really shows how moden/advanced the design is, very clean looking, but afraid it will look too japanese (ie my white turbo integra), or too young, or too feminine. Keep in mind I'm in a suit and tie taking clients out every day. Other option is the midnight silver, which looks rich, masculine, more sophisticated, but I just find it to be a ugly gray (my current car is a true charcoal, this obviously has a lot more blue/purple in it).

2) Wheels - I ordered the 19s because the 18s to me are simply not an option, hideous, but for the cost of the 19s plus the value of the 18s I'd forgo, I could easily get a nice pair of aftermarket 19s or 20s. Similar to my color concern, I want the car to look nice but not really look "modded" or too unprofessional. Weight is an issue since i drive ~800 miles a week so want to try and maximize range. Ive seen a lot of opinions, some say the 5-6 weight increase on the 20s is huge, others say its more the tires. I don't need racing tires, I'd be happy with a firmer tire built for range over performance. How impactful are wheels with less sticky tires that weight more?

This is all due tomorrow and would appreciate insight from others? Thanks in advance guys!

Do White on white, and then pickup some white TE37 with some square tire setup with a set of Eibach springs.