Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help: Wichita <-> Independence range anxiety?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've done the Texas <-> Michigan trip in my pre-AP P85 a few times now, and turning this corner has presented an issue every time in that I cannot seem to make it without charging at Topeka although the onboard trip planner and EVTripPlanner both seem to think that it's possible (with range charges at either end, of course).

To set the stage -- I'm not that driver who takes delight in arriving with a 1% charge, and I like to drive speed limit (SL+ 5 mph when I can). I'm also a SuperCharger kind of guy with a single charger, so I'm not too inclined to hang out charging for 1-2 hours.

Even if I spent an hour charging in Wichita, drive the speed limit (70) and the planner initially says that my next stop is Independence -- I start falling below the trip usage plot almost immediately and get re-directed to Topeka before I'm half-way to Emporia. Even coming back the other way *from Topeka*, an initial range of 210 miles (with a predicted 20% arrival energy) quickly turned to single digits and I was forced to complete the trip to Wichita at 60 mph and with range mode turned on (arriving with 9%).

Looking at posts like the following, some folks seem to have better success on this leg... am I doing something "wrong", or is it just that I'm too range sensitive and should just plan to stop in Topeka no matter what? It does seem that westbound is going uphill most of the time, and into a pretty strong wind -- but I had the impression that the onboard planner attempted to at least take the "uphill" part of the charging requirements into account...

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/1089655/

snellenr,

It looks like only 16 miles longer to stop at the Topeka supercharger on the way. Maybe that will be best for you, at least until you trade for a new 100D. :)

The other option is to hypermile, and be prepared with L2 backup just in case. Assuming your P85 has 21" tires, consider looking for a used set of the new aerodynamic "slipstream" 19" wheels and a good set of LLR tires. That may be enough to make it easy to do Wichita to Independence directly. You probably can get a good price on the 19" slipstreams form someone getting a new car and putting aftermarket wheels on it.

Also, consider just setting your cruise at 65 mph and camping out in the right lane for this segment. Try to keep the A/C off or on low. Keep the heat off, but use heated seats as much as you like. It is best to start out conservative, then speed up or use more HVAC later, if it looks like you will have extra energy on arrival.

The hypermiling option is not for everyone, and it is not necessary. Just stop in Topeka, or buy that 100D. ;) However, hypermiling can be fun and rewarding for people with the temperament to do it.

Good Luck,

GSP

• Informative
Reactions: snellenr
Wichita to Independence is easy in a P85. I recently went from Catoosa, OK to Independence in a P85+. I stopped in Nevada, MO to get a little extra range, In retrospect, I could have made it without the extra stop. Catoosa to Independence is farther than Wichita to Independence.