Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help! Windshield cracked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a small star out of sight at the bottom of my front windshield on my 2017 X100d. I parked the car at the Arcata airport for 11 days, during which temps reached record lows, and returned to find a 3 foot crack along the bottom of the windshield. I called Rocklin, my service center and made an appointment. Then everything went to hell. After a week they emailed me that Tesla no longer does windshield replacements, but now Safelite takes care of it. Ah! Safelite has a shop in Medford, Oregon, much closer to me here in Crescent City. They called after a week, and said, no, they can't get the windshields.

So I started an email saga with Tesla. The first several received no response whatsoever, and then Monday, got a "suggestion" that I needed to go to a Tesla approved body shop in Seattle! That's a 10 hour drive, without charging stops. And this with a dangerous cracked front windshield. I've asked that the matter be escalated, but no response.

I'm desperate. If I get stopped by the CHP, they could tow the car as unsafe. Any suggestions?

As long as the crack is not in your line of sight, it should be fine (at least according to what I've heard here in Ontario). The worst thing that could happen while driving is for the crack to get worse, at which point you'd have to stop if it's affecting your visibility, but your windshield should not break while driving.

darn...same situation for me. i had a rock hit and a crack about the size of a dollar bill and safelite "filled it" with epoxy. then when it got cold it went straight across the whole windshield.

unlike you though, tesla gave me a price of about $900 for the windshield and $400 labor for a total of around $1300-$1400 replaced for the windshield.

in fact i've attached the quote.

windshield quote.JPG

darn...same situation for me. i had a rock hit and a crack about the size of a dollar bill and safelite "filled it" with epoxy. then when it got cold it went straight across the whole windshield.

unlike you though, tesla gave me a price of about $900 for the windshield and $400 labor for a total of around $1300-$1400 replaced for the windshield.

View attachment 381570
I had a small chip filled by Safelite. I think they have some sort of guarantee I thought, but I could be mistaken.

That is really cheap for that massive window.

A rock cracked the windshield on my BMW X3. $1,700 at Safelite, 3 weeks to get an appointment in SF Bay Area, 2 days to fix.

Price probably effected by HUD. Still it is 1/3 the size of a Model X windshield.

• Informative
Reactions: GWord

View attachment 381570
There's no date on your invoice. I wonder if Tesla is still doing it at some of the service locations. I was told by Rocklin that they don't replace windshields any more.

There's no date on your invoice. I wonder if Tesla is still doing it at some of the service locations. I was told by Rocklin that they don't replace windshields any more.
you're right, i didn't want to give away to much info about my car and didn't feel like upgrading my acrobat account just so i could redact some items. :)

the quote was from June 28th 2018.

...aannddd i just tried to call the local tesla service center and got the run around with the automated phone lady who claimed to not understand my input (pressing a #) which meant that i had to call back and press 3 for sales which i got to and they said i'd have to call back and press 2. i explained it didn't work as the computer didn't recognize my input after i had pressed 2 then they decided to transfer me to the service department (why not just do that in the first place?) which then meant that the phone rang off the hook and i hung up after 6 rings...yeah tesla customer service is in the freaking toilet and we've all been here with their stupid phone system.

sooooo, what i'm trying to say is that i can't get you an update from the Ohio center if they will still do these. haha

tommie - call Safelite and see if they are in your area. They were super awesome and work with your insurance. Luckily I did not require a replacement and they put epoxy in mine. Their mobile service was great cuz they come to you!

I just ran a quick quote for a ZIP code in Crescent City, CA and it looks like 1329.99. BTW this is an online quote. I read you tried calling to one in Oregon.. perhaps luck might be better online

SAFELITE.PNG

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: DelPhonic1 and Tam
Tommie,
Sorry to hear about your experience, it's never fun having to replace a windshield. One thing I'd recommend to other owners who are concerned about windshield damage is a product from Madico called Clearplex. It's a transparent film that we install on customers' vehicles to protect the windshield from rocks and other debris.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert

View attachment 381570

Interesting. I tried to get some very small chips repaired once and the guy was very hinky about them because they were larger than a quarter (or some other coin). They filled yours which was the size of a dollar bill? Wow!

I had three cracks develop on my windshield from using the defroster full blast the first time on a freezing cold day. I was presented with a $1500 bill and I asked why. Instead of an answer, I got it free, charged to "good will". In my case there was no chip, just the stress from the cold and heat. Now I have a water leak when driving in heavy rains. It seems to gather somewhere inside the overhead and comes out on my friend when I turn corners.

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
you're right, i didn't want to give away to much info about my car and didn't feel like upgrading my acrobat account just so i could redact some items. :)

Quick comment. Don't use Acrobat. There are plenty of other PDF readers out there that work better and easier. Second, don't assume your PDF redaction stops anyone from reading the text. I found that after covering up the text with a box, I could still find the text in the source file. Once you do the artwork on it, you need to output it as an image. Then all text is gone and you get what you see.

• Informative
Reactions: GraemeS and Fiddler
Was at my local dealer today and noticed an X on the lot with a crack running dash to roof about 200mm in from the door pillar. Is this a common issue.

I wouldn't call it "common", but it is not unheard of. Bjørn Nyland in Norway documented this, but I seem to recall he had a small stone chip on his. Mine cracked in three places (all from the dash running upward maybe 18 inches) just a few months from buying it. I'm pretty sure I didn't have any stone chips at all.

Tommie,
Sorry to hear about your experience, it's never fun having to replace a windshield. One thing I'd recommend to other owners who are concerned about windshield damage is a product from Madico called Clearplex. It's a transparent film that we install on customers' vehicles to protect the windshield from rocks and other debris.
I just had my Model X ClearPlex installation. Prior to this, I had a small star rock impact, that started to grow, then took it to a place who drilled & filled with epoxy. Now I can quit watching for what the SF bay area roads throw up at my windshield.

old |v2019.15.11|AP2,MCU1,PUP|
new |v2019.20.1 9973c22|AP2,MCU1,PUP|