Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HELP! Windshield Replacement Advice Needed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Daniellane

The Tesla Guy
Supporting Member
HELP!
Any advice on what to require or beware of/avoid in this process would be greatly appreciated.
The Windshield on my 2018 Model S 100D was just hit hard by what I assume was a rock while driving ~70 mph. It damaged it right in front of my sight line. (See pics)
I just got off the phone with Travelers Insurance. They said my deductible is only $100 for windshield replacement which would be waved if I chose to have it repaired instead. Seems like a no-brainer to get it replaced. They said repair was not recommended anyway since it is in my line of sight.
It seems like the layers of glass were separated from the impact creating a halo effect.
Are there non-OEM replacements they may try to substitute?
My thought is to have the Tesla Service Center handle it if possible.
Anybody who has experience with this, please chime in. Lead times? Issues?
6840E193-A708-4EB5-9C4A-5E8547513920.jpeg

893AD389-F074-49A2-90A9-EA71B1253D4A.jpeg

...my line of sight...

I don't think there's any non-OEM who has made a Tesla-compatible windshield just yet.

The crack is too small so if it was not right on my face, I would have it repaired.

Since it's right into my face, I would have it replaced.

In the early days, Tesla would do windshield replacements but later on, they prefer owners to go to third party and they'll order one from Tesla for you.

If you have autopilot activated, you might have to go back to a Service Center for recalibration after the windshield replacement is done by a third party.

So, if you can do all at once in Service Center, it's more convenient that way.

I would definitely see if it can be repaired before it spiders and requires replacement. Temp changes could do this automagically. I definitely never want a new windshield heading into plow and gravel winter season. o_O

Edit: Reread your post. If a replacement was available immediately I’d probably go that route given what you said about it only being $100. That said I’ve seen repairs that are effectively invisible. And they are quite cheap in my experience so I might try it - even if out of pocket anyway. Especially if it will be weeks for a new replacement.

Last edited:
Since it is in your sightline you probably should do a full replacement.

We just replaced our 3's windshield. A very small chip that immediately (still on the way home) turned into a long crack across half the windshield on the passenger side. Tesla glass but third-party installer through our insurance company. Seemed like a good job to me. Installer said he'd already repaired every piece of glass in the Model 3, so no lack of experience already.

While he was here I had him fix a chip in my X windshield, low on the passenger side, that was probably a little smaller than OP's. I was wondering if he could get epoxy into it (if that's what it is). It came out great. I think they used a device that pressurized the filler and forced it into the chip. Now, instead of seeing it all the time, I have forgotten all about it. It is actually tough to find, even knowing where it is.

It cost much less than $100 for the chip repair, and I think it would have sufficed even if it had been on the driver's side. But for $100 I'd get the whole thing replaced with less worry about the repair.

Quick quick quick get it repaired or as @ThisIsTrue recommends at least do the DIY job. The reason I say this is that it takes a couple of months for the replacement to come in. Mine had spread almost all the way across before I patched mine and the crack stopped spreading immediately.

I had an estimate from Safelite after doing their online estimate tool and coming out about $400 less than Tesla. The REAL price was only about $100 cheaper, so had it done at SODO. (although I'm sure they just sent it to Safelite)

The only issue was that they put a protective cling plastic clear cover over the camera, and forgot to take it off. AP was a little upset about that.

As @Tam says above, Tesla has to realign the camera. I was quoted $125 for that, so add that into any 3rd party estimate.

I paid for it myself rather than have the insurance company finance it for me.

Reactions: ThisIsTrue
OP here,
Thanks for the feedback so far..
Sounds like the consensus so far is to both repair at my expense ASAP as a safety precaution and get the replacement process started utilizing my insurance as it could take a very long time for order fulfillment...
Seems like a good ide, especially since I’ll be taking a 2200 mile round trip road trip.

Reactions: ThisIsTrue
Just two days ago I talked to my service ranger about windshields since mine got sandblasted by a dust devil. He said they source the glass and didn't think there were aftermarket options yet. He said the AP2.5 cars (yours is one for sure) windshield is readily available. AP1 cars are hard to come by. Here they secure the glass and farm out the actual replacement to a local shop they have had good results with.

Just two days ago I talked to my service ranger about windshields since mine got sandblasted by a dust devil. He said they source the glass and didn't think there were aftermarket options yet. He said the AP2.5 cars (yours is one for sure) windshield is readily available. AP1 cars are hard to come by. Here they secure the glass and farm out the actual replacement to a local shop they have had good results with.
Thank You.
Very useful info.

For a little one like that, I'd use a glass repair kit and see how it goes. (Available at auto parts store.) Otherwise, it could well spread into a BIG crack: mine went from side to side (also a Model S MC Red).

Here's my experience: Windshield Replacement
Oddly,
There doesn’t appear to be any cracks, basically a volcano hole and the separation of layers:
071A8A4A-6AA0-4363-A2A4-44ABE95FB21F.jpeg

In previous cars I’ve had ”stars” or “spider webs” that enlarged over time like these:
DF0AA235-6690-4EF6-8FD6-B4C7740AE7A6.jpeg

Good info here! Mine that took a long time to get the glass is an AP1 car, so there you go.

OP here again,
Everything is set in motion!
I thought I’d update the thread with some things I learned and the results...

Fantastic service from my insurance company (Travelers) and my Tesla SC.
The SC uses a preferred local third party to install the glass (not Safelite) and provided me with their contact to get the process started.
Here’s the process.
The 3rd party orders the windshield through my Service Center. They schedule an appointment at my SC for me based on lead time and my schedule. They go to the SC and install it. The SC completes the processes required for integration (I assume calibration of cameras...). The SC bills the 3rd party and the 3rd party gets paid by my insurance and my $100 deductible.
Apparently it takes at least a half day in the shop. I was told to plan for full day. Also not to expect a loaner from Tesla.
The 3rd party has already gotten approval from Travelers! (I gave them my ckaim# & called Travelers to authorize them)
The glass company ordered the windshield from the SC! & Scheduled an appointment at the SC for the date I requested! All squared away in less than an hour!

One interesting side note on the damage
I sent photos to the glass company at their request. I was informed that it was what they referred to as a “bullseye” which is not repairable & is not likely to grow like “spiders” do if left as is. Any attempt to repair it is likely to expand it. Something to do with the separation of the layers of glass.

OP here again,
Everything is set in motion!
I thought I’d update the thread with some things I learned and the results...

Fantastic service from my insurance company (Travelers) and my Tesla SC.
The SC uses a preferred local third party to install the glass (not Safelite) and provided me with their contact to get the process started.
Here’s the process.
The 3rd party orders the windshield through my Service Center. They schedule an appointment at my SC for me based on lead time and my schedule. They go to the SC and install it. The SC completes the processes required for integration (I assume calibration of cameras...). The SC bills the 3rd party and the 3rd party gets paid by my insurance and my $100 deductible.
Apparently it takes at least a half day in the shop. I was told to plan for full day. Also not to expect a loaner from Tesla.
The 3rd party has already gotten approval from Travelers! (I gave them my ckaim# & called Travelers to authorize them)
The glass company ordered the windshield from the SC! & Scheduled an appointment at the SC for the date I requested! All squared away in less than an hour!

One interesting side note on the damage
I sent photos to the glass company at their request. I was informed that it was what they referred to as a “bullseye” which is not repairable & is not likely to grow like “spiders” do if left as is. Any attempt to repair it is likely to expand it. Something to do with the separation of the layers of glass.
Dah! How unfortunately timely for me. I got a bullseye ding this past weekend on the drive back from Seattle. Smaller and not as deep as yours so ordered a repair kit from Amazon yesterday. Will inspect the ding closely when I leave work today. Good to know that a new windshield doesn’t have a huge delay if I need one.

I’ve had 3 of these repaired so far on my MS - two in the windshield and one on the all glass roof. All came out great and have held firm. Two are almost completely invisible. The third, by far the worst impact, is still relatively visible but has not spread. At $40/pop through the local glass company it’s been money well spent to avoid a claim.

I’ve had 3 of these repaired so far on my MS - two in the windshield and one on the all glass roof. All came out great and have held firm. Two are almost completely invisible. The third, by far the worst impact, is still relatively visible but has not spread. At $40/pop through the local glass company it’s been money well spent to avoid a claim.
I would love to have been able to have mine repaired. Unfortunately the hit was right on the unprotected side edge of the glass. Immediate crack to the edge, so not repairable.

My AP1 windshield developed a crack on the 1st cold-weather day of the season last year, 3 days after delivery. I have glass coverage with no deductible, from which a claim doesn't impact coverage rates. That was the easy part.

Safelite would not accept the job due to being unable to source the part. I ended up getting it done at the Service Center, who put me in a loaner while they waited for the part. Took approximately 3 weeks. I did have to pay out of pocket and file for reimbursement, as Tesla didn't have the ability to direct-bill the insurance company. YMMV