Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help with 128gb microSD card and reader please, not mounting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After trying many times with 2 different cards and two different readers I always get a warning that my card is unmountable and should be removed.
If I then I go to Safety & Security to have the car format my card it says below:

"Plug in only one USB device to format"

I'm only plugging in one device so I don't understand what the issue is. I'm on a Mac and I've tried formatting it to exFat 32 as well as MS-DOS(FAT32) and still the same issue.
I'm trying with a Sabrent reader, a Vanja reader, a Samsung Pro Endurance and Samsung Pro Plus.

I have a Samsung Bar Plus 32gb and that works perfectly. I know this isn't rocket science but I'd really appreciate some input here, thank you.

Reactions: Jamezam
Hi @Scottpol ,

Try with only one combination to simplify things...
Samsung Pro Endurance card and your choice of reader...

Format the card to exFat - I don't know what exFat 32 is, so make sure it is formatted
to exFat.

Add a single folder named TeslaCam to the card.
Plug it into the car

Under Safety and Security - You should see "Format USB"
If it is active and not greyed out - The card is properly formatted...

I use the same Pro Endurance 128 GB in my TeslaCam...
I use 2 different Kinston readers but they all should work.

Try to view the files after a few recordings to be sure it is working properly...

Good luck,

Shawn

PS - OMG first post! Welcome to TMC! It is a great place to be...

Hi Shawn- Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, I'm only using one reader and one card at a time, that's why I'm confused about the warning I'm receiving and the formatting option is grayed out.

I'm familiar with the setup procedure and have followed every step but it just won't work with the cards. As I've mentioned, the usb drive I'm using works fine otherwise.

Hi Shawn- Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, I'm only using one reader and one card at a time, that's why I'm confused about the warning I'm receiving and the formatting option is grayed out.

I'm familiar with the setup procedure and have followed every step but it just won't work with the cards. As I've mentioned, the usb drive I'm using works fine otherwise.

My SD card for some reason stopped working so I reformatted it on the computer and plugged it in hoping to have the car format the card for use but I kept getting the error "Plug in only one USB device to format", it seems that the car can't or won't format some sd cards and in this situation I created the folder TeslaCam and it worked like it did before.

Much prefer the SD card over USB for speed.

Last edited:
I had something similar happen recently. Using an SDXC card with a Sabrent USB adapter. The adapter had slots for both the SDXC card and an SD card. When plugging it into the Tesla, I also got "plug in only one device at a time". I'm wondering if it has anything to do with having more than one slot on the device. (Though I was having trouble with it in my computer, too, so maybe the adapter went bad)
I replaced it with a SanDisk adapter and so far it's been fine (it's been a whole week...)

Reactions: Jamezam
Folks over in this thread:
seem to think there's some recent software issues