Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help with an inventory model

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dear All,

Many thanks for all you do in this forum. This has enabled newbies like me to find most of the answers we need to make an informed decision.
I have done my research, have overcome my doubts about EVs and decided go with a Tesla. The local Tesla store in Zurich, Switzerland has offered an attractive lease rate and a good price on one of their inventory 90D models. The final price of this is coming to approximately 15k USD below the 100D model.

My question is, if I go for the 90D instead of the 100D, do you think 3 years down the line, my resale value would be worse than 15K compared to a 100D model? I know these things are subjective and nothing is guaranteed in life but I wanted to get your opinion on this.

Also, the 90D has a all black interior, standard audio and a sunroof whereas, ideally, I would like to have a cream interior and a panoramic roof. Not sure about the sound though, not an audiophile.

Any input is appreciated.

Cheers

You really want to pick the car that you want and that you are most comfortable with now. Saving money on an inventory 90D is certainly a good thing. But it's hard to tell about resale values, especially not knowing how the Model 3 will eventually impact Model S resale values. There are some who think they will significantly impact the Model S resale values. At least with the inventory 90D, you are starting at a lower value, so you don't have as much to fall. But again, make sure you're comfortable with what you are driving for the next 3 years first - and who knows, you may wish to keep it for a longer time period. And if you are leasing instead of buying, you walk away at the end of your lease and start the process all over again with a new car!

You really want to pick the car that you want and that you are most comfortable with now. Saving money on an inventory 90D is certainly a good thing. But it's hard to tell about resale values, especially not knowing how the Model 3 will eventually impact Model S resale values. There are some who think they will significantly impact the Model S resale values. At least with the inventory 90D, you are starting at a lower value, so you don't have as much to fall. But again, make sure you're comfortable with what you are driving for the next 3 years first - and who knows, you may wish to keep it for a longer time period. And if you are leasing instead of buying, you walk away at the end of your lease and start the process all over again with a new car!
Thank you. The extra range that the 100D offers is definitely a temptation but given my current driving habits, the 90D should serve the purpose. Just one of those "want the latest toy" instincts kicking in I guess.

My experience has been more temperature-impacted than anything else. I typically charge to 90% which yields around 268 miles. I have a mostly highway commute of 68 miles each way. When the temperature is in the 70s, I'm getting great range - averaging 70-75 miles per hour and I'm using around 70 miles of range to drive those 68 miles (so just a bit more than one rated mile used per mile driven). When it's cold and the temperature is in the 20s-30s, I'm using about 30% more power, meaning I use 90-95 miles of range to do the drive at highway speed. Slower speeds and higher temperatures yield less battery usage. Faster speeds and colder temperatures mean you are depleting your battery at a faster pace. At almost 300 rated miles, the 90D is more than sufficient for me.

Feel free to private message me if you have any questions.

Indeed. Thanks for that. I see that you are driving a 90D from your signature. Can you tell me what is the typical range you are getting for highway driving?
Happy to. But you don't want to know my experience. Check my profile again. I'm in Hawaii. Our island is only 50+ miles long. Not a lot of room to run a 90 battery down here. Only twice in four months have I driven all day and run the battery down to 99 miles or remaining range. I go sometimes a week between charges and my UMC is 4 feet from the car.

Your question has been asked many times over the last couple of years. Should I get the 60 or 75. Should I get the 85 or 90. The general censuses has always been - get the biggest battery you can afford. When it comes to range, you can't get too much. There's no changing your mind after you take delivery. And think about it, these are people that already have their car. Some got the smaller battery and wished they got the larger. Those that got the larger are happy they did. I've never seen a post where someone said, "gee, I should have picked the smaller battery".

Last edited: