TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Help with buying from a Dealer with no warranty

Discussion in 'Tesla for Sale' started by Glenn Dickerson, Aug 6, 2016.

1. Glenn Dickerson

Hoping you guys can help me.

I am looking to buy a 2013 Model S that has 46k miles on it from a BMW dealer. The car is near its 50k warranty expiration and the dealer nor Tesla is offering a warranty on the car. I cannot find a 3rd party warranty. So it seems if I buy, I would be without a warranty once I eclipse 50k miles soon. I called Tesla to ask if there 's anyway they would cover the car and they said no. They only offer warranties on the CPO Teslas.

Does anyone have a third party warranty group that I haven't heard of? Any other ideas?

2. Syclone

Syclone Member

My 2 cents.

I'd opt for CPO supported car, unless its a significant bargain. Your Tesla Pre-owned Sales Advisor can find you a 2013 Model S 85s with around that mileage @ $45k.

• Like x 1
  3. Glenn Dickerson

Thanks. The car I am looking at is a 2013 Models P85+ with 46k miles. It is pretty much loaded. They are at $54k which seems like a "good" deal but not a steal. The car is very clean with no issues. Looks like no one sat in any of the seats other than the driver's seat.

4. DougH

DougH Active Member

#4 DougH, Aug 6, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
    I wouldnt do it. I'd get a cpo car or a private party car with an extended warranty. Plus models need Maintenace with the added suspension parts.

• Like x 2
  5. kort677

kort677 Active Member

IMHO that's not so much of a good deal, you should search for a tesla cpo

6. Boourns

Boourns Member

I agree with the others. I don't think that car is necessarily a bad deal, but you won't pay that much more for a CPO, which will have a brand spanking new 4/50k warranty.

• Like x 2
  7. Moneesh

Moneesh Member

CPO is the way to go. They've got lots of inventory these days.

• Like x 1
  8. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

Run far away from a ICE dealer wanting to sell a used Tesla

• Like x 4
  9. Camera-Cruiser

Camera-Cruiser Fully Charged

#9 Camera-Cruiser, Aug 6, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
    Glen, I was where you are at now about a year ago. You are fortunate that you found this forum first. I didn't know about it until after I bought my CPO. I think the CPO site went live right about the time I started looking, but I was not educated. I looked at dealers, private parties etc.

From my point of view at the time, Tesla's were fault free (no oil/gas/transmission/etc), and we're really just iPhones with tires. I was ignorant.

Fortunately Tesla opened a sales service center near me, and one of the sales advisors adopted me (although 25 years my junior) and educated me over more than a month until I found the right Tesla.

Getting a CPO with a warranty is the best thing I ever did. The car looked amazing, clean, and drove well, everything was perfect. I was sure that I wouldn't see the service center until the annual inspection. Three days later, it was back in service for 10 days for a faulty passenger side air bag. Then a few weeks later, it went back for tire pressure monitor faults, they replaced all of them. It has gone back a total, of 6 times since November 2015 and I have not paid a dime for anything and the service people have been great.

Other than the items I mentioned, it was all noise and fit issues, so I wouldn't really worry about the car's reliability, but I can't imagine owning it without the warranty.

This is the long way of saying don't buy that Tesla. Hook up with a service advisor, since they can see inventory that isn't on the national system, let them know what you want, your serious.

It will get it done. You will then have your iPhone with wheels. They're great!

• Informative x 3
  10. Glenn Dickerson

Thanks for all the replies. I didn't buy from the dealer. Instead I bought a CPO yesterday. 2013 MS 85 Kwh...Pumped!

• Like x 8
  11. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

What? No autopilot? Kidding. Congrats for finding a CPO that makes sense. That 50,000 mile warranty does do wonders for the peace of mind.

By the time the Model 3 arrives, there will be many more juicy (with apologies to Patton Oswalt) choices both within the CPO and the private party markets. The latter with ESAs as applicable, preferably.

Attractive deals in the $30Ks and $40Ks will abound. And finally, anyone who have a long commute will have financial parity or better, combined with hopefully still-available cheap money. 1.29% from a credit union for used was one of the better recent deals. And the 1.49% Alliant deal is becoming a mainstay.

12. Electric700

Electric700 Member

You could get a Tesla Extended Service Agreement that will cover the vehicle for another 4 years / 50,000 miles: Service plans.

I see though that you already decided on getting a CPO car instead, so congrats!

13. Camera-Cruiser

Camera-Cruiser Fully Charged

Awesome!

14. bart513

bart513 Member

Congrats on making the smart decision!!! Enjoy the ride:)

15. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Active Member

Tesla won't sell an extended warranty to a second owner. That was the issue with the car - no warranty available at all, even 3rd party.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  16. GFORCED

GFORCED Member

Great story and happy ending. Congrats Glenn!

17. texascanuck

texascanuck New Member

Congrats. I am in Houston too and saw that car online too as well the S85 for $49K but am thinking CPO is the way to go too. So what did you end up paying for the CPO? Twin/dual chargers? Parking sensors?

18. cman8

cman8 Member

19. Glenn Dickerson

Hey everyone...just wanna say I am driving the cpo that I purchased and sooooooooo thrilled with the car (in spoite of some delivery issues that I am working through)...I can say there is no way I would buy a non cpo without warranty now that I have the warranty...no way...I'm glad everyone advised me against doing so...mssg me if you are in the same position I was in and I;ll talk you out of it! I pad $53k for a s85 with 27k miles with pano roof, and lots of other goodies...I'll take pics soon.

• Like x 1
  20. mrtian97

mrtian97 Member

congrats, I may do the same when my BMW lease expires next yr. Can't wait