Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help with buying from a Dealer with no warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hoping you guys can help me.

I am looking to buy a 2013 Model S that has 46k miles on it from a BMW dealer. The car is near its 50k warranty expiration and the dealer nor Tesla is offering a warranty on the car. I cannot find a 3rd party warranty. So it seems if I buy, I would be without a warranty once I eclipse 50k miles soon. I called Tesla to ask if there 's anyway they would cover the car and they said no. They only offer warranties on the CPO Teslas.

Does anyone have a third party warranty group that I haven't heard of? Any other ideas?

Thanks. The car I am looking at is a 2013 Models P85+ with 46k miles. It is pretty much loaded. They are at $54k which seems like a "good" deal but not a steal. The car is very clean with no issues. Looks like no one sat in any of the seats other than the driver's seat.

Glen, I was where you are at now about a year ago. You are fortunate that you found this forum first. I didn't know about it until after I bought my CPO. I think the CPO site went live right about the time I started looking, but I was not educated. I looked at dealers, private parties etc.

From my point of view at the time, Tesla's were fault free (no oil/gas/transmission/etc), and we're really just iPhones with tires. I was ignorant.

Fortunately Tesla opened a sales service center near me, and one of the sales advisors adopted me (although 25 years my junior) and educated me over more than a month until I found the right Tesla.

Getting a CPO with a warranty is the best thing I ever did. The car looked amazing, clean, and drove well, everything was perfect. I was sure that I wouldn't see the service center until the annual inspection. Three days later, it was back in service for 10 days for a faulty passenger side air bag. Then a few weeks later, it went back for tire pressure monitor faults, they replaced all of them. It has gone back a total, of 6 times since November 2015 and I have not paid a dime for anything and the service people have been great.

Other than the items I mentioned, it was all noise and fit issues, so I wouldn't really worry about the car's reliability, but I can't imagine owning it without the warranty.

This is the long way of saying don't buy that Tesla. Hook up with a service advisor, since they can see inventory that isn't on the national system, let them know what you want, your serious.

It will get it done. You will then have your iPhone with wheels. They're great!

Last edited:
What? No autopilot? Kidding. Congrats for finding a CPO that makes sense. That 50,000 mile warranty does do wonders for the peace of mind.

By the time the Model 3 arrives, there will be many more juicy (with apologies to Patton Oswalt) choices both within the CPO and the private party markets. The latter with ESAs as applicable, preferably.

Attractive deals in the $30Ks and $40Ks will abound. And finally, anyone who have a long commute will have financial parity or better, combined with hopefully still-available cheap money. 1.29% from a credit union for used was one of the better recent deals. And the 1.49% Alliant deal is becoming a mainstay.

• Informative
Reactions: Olds442
Hoping you guys can help me.

I am looking to buy a 2013 Model S that has 46k miles on it from a BMW dealer. The car is near its 50k warranty expiration and the dealer nor Tesla is offering a warranty on the car. I cannot find a 3rd party warranty. So it seems if I buy, I would be without a warranty once I eclipse 50k miles soon. I called Tesla to ask if there 's anyway they would cover the car and they said no. They only offer warranties on the CPO Teslas.

Does anyone have a third party warranty group that I haven't heard of? Any other ideas?

You could get a Tesla Extended Service Agreement that will cover the vehicle for another 4 years / 50,000 miles: Service plans.

I see though that you already decided on getting a CPO car instead, so congrats!

Hey everyone...just wanna say I am driving the cpo that I purchased and sooooooooo thrilled with the car (in spoite of some delivery issues that I am working through)...I can say there is no way I would buy a non cpo without warranty now that I have the warranty...no way...I'm glad everyone advised me against doing so...mssg me if you are in the same position I was in and I;ll talk you out of it! I pad $53k for a s85 with 27k miles with pano roof, and lots of other goodies...I'll take pics soon.

Reactions: GFORCED