Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help With Cables for use in UK ( On French M3)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm hoping the combined wisdom of this forum might be able to assist.
I am (Covid permitting) bringing my car over to the UK for visits in September. I understand all the Tesla supercharge options but I am staying in a few hotels which have EV charging as well. I presume that they will mostly be offering connection to their 240v domestic supply which is fine as I have the unit I use here in France so can use an adapter on that.
I also have an as yet unopened blue cable in the trunk. This is what it looks like:

https://www.amazon.fr/Mennekes-3621...C8Y506S0WVS&psc=1&refRID=42M11P2QDC8Y506S0WVS

I'm guessing it is for 32A French 'Blue plugs' only. Should I be buying another cable for non Tesla UK chargers just in case or are the chargers like Tesla superchargers ie already cabled?

I presume that they will mostly be offering connection to their 240v domestic supply which is fine as I have the unit I use here in France so can use an adapter on that.

If you are talking about the Tesla UMC then a standard adapter from French to UK plug would not be suitable as it could result in the UMC thinking it can draw 16amps instead of the limit of 10amps here for granny charging EVs on standard sockets.

The Menekes cable is a Type 2 so is standard here. However double check your cable that one end does not look like this (that would be a problem):
type_3C.jpg

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Roy W. and Sparkeur
That's a type 2 cable, so you'll need a proper EV charger to connect it to (but if you have access to one, then your cable will be fine). If you have only access to regular domestic outlets, then you'll need a UK "13A" 3 pin plug (but the UMC will limit it to 10A).

For standard domestic charging when away from home, I have a cable reel with a 16A "commando" plug on the end and then two short adapters to convert it to either a UK 13A plug, or when I'm in Europe to the standard Shotzky connector.

15975100547274809391511605705506.jpg

On the cable reel there is a UK 13A socket and the UMC attaches to that. The UMC knows to limit the current to 10A when using the UK plug.

Last edited:
If you’re at a hotel many have Type 2 /CCS charging either tethered or your blue cable. Just check zap-map.com. Filter for CCS or Type 2.

Between Supercharging and that you’ll probably be fine. Might not even need your UMC.

As a backup could get the UK adapter for your UMC. Can probably be bought from your local SC for EUR 50. Couldn’t see it in the online shop. If not, UK Adapter for Tesla Model S/X/3 Gen 2 – EVSE Adapters

Reactions: Sparkeur
Hope you don't mind this question.Do you have a UK or a French passport ?

Reason for asking is that I would like to bring my French reg car over to UK for a quick visit, but I am told this is illegal if the driver only has a UK passport.

Note, This question has nothing to do with Covid19

Hope you don't mind this question.Do you have a UK or a French passport ?

Reason for asking is that I would like to bring my French reg car over to UK for a quick visit, but I am told this is illegal if the driver only has a UK passport.

If that question is posed to me, I have Irish and British citizenship with French residency. Your question is not to do with nationality, it is to do with residence. If you are a resident of France and your vehicle is registered in France, then you are still free to visit wherever you like in the EU and after Brexit, the same rule will apply to the UK whatever passport you hold. Whether you have a French or British licence, the same applies.

Just to clarify, what you are not allowed to do (apart from for a couple of months if relocating) is be resident in the UK and drive a French registered car in the UK - or vice versa.

Last edited:
I knew I’d seen the parts manual somewhere.
https://epc.tesla.com

UK 3-pin plug adapter official part no. is 1455440-00-C

Anyone know if this is usually in stock at Tesla Service Centres, or if needs to be preordered?
Does anyone know the Price?

I tried to order from my local Service centre here in Norway, but they were not able to get the UK adapter for me here unfortunately.
I know there is a local Tesla Service centre close to my relatives in UK at London Brooklands, and was hoping to be able to preorder, and pick up next time i come over, hopefully some time summer 2021

Just a quick update if anyone are interested.

I am sure [email protected] is Teslas preferred choice.
But I found the email address directly to the London Brooklands SC, and got fantastic help right away.

They needed my VIN, and told me they had lots in stock, so no problem.

They could send me the adapter, or my family could pick it up anytime.
My relatives picked it up today, and I got the receipt immediately in my Tesla app under the Service tab.

The price was £43 incl VAT

So now I have the adapter waiting for me next time I come over to UK

Thanks for great info and help related to this.