Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help with Car insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently have my model 3 covered by Geico, but feel I got the bare minimum. Here is my current coverage:

Bodily Injury Liability: $50k/$100k
Property Damage Liability: $50k
Comprehensive: $1500 deductible
Collision: $1500 deductible

Preimium: $598 for 6 months

Anything I should upgrade on? I'm willing to pay a little more if that means I get safer coverage. What do you guys have and think I shouldnt skimp out on?

Presume you are sued. What can you lose in assets and wage garnishment ?

If you have no savings, are unemployed and live in a trailer I'd say your choices are fine.
Uh oh, well i do have some money to lose... but not many assets (dont own a house, nor anything valueable except my golf clubs and my model 3 lol). Is there any recommendations you can give me in where I should upgrade my coverage?

I currently have my model 3 covered by Geico, but feel I got the bare minimum. Here is my current coverage:

Anything I should upgrade on? I'm willing to pay a little more if that means I get safer coverage. What do you guys have and think I shouldnt skimp out on?

It’s all up to your personal situation but personally I carry much higher limits. This was a consideration I made and chose the higher cost associated with such high coverage for the additional peace of mind it offers to know I’m well protected in the event of the unthinkable

Reactions: TQCLove
I recommend max uninsured and underinsured protection. You might be a great driver, however you’re potentially at the mercy of others life choices if/when a really bad accident occurs.

Luckily, my collision coverage covers uninsured motorist accidents. It will not allow me to have collision coverage and uninsured motorist coverage at the same time (some stupid law in california).

Watch out, there was a totaled one on here. Insurance gave him half the street price. Its called fair market value. Not
I called usaa , got a rider. Adds 25% to value paid out for total. My car has 112k miles, 2013, you know a kid appraiser will put 25k for value.
No way i can replace for that. 50k would be minimum to repkace.

I agree with the others here to raise your limits. Consider that you will probably be getting Model Ss as loaner cars which will be covered under your own insurance while you drive them, so I would up property damage to 100k just in case.

In the end, it’s all about the bodily injury coverage tho. If you get into an accident with an uninsured (or minimally insured) driver and get injured, you are going to end up relying on your coverage limits for that. I had a coworker who was hit by a drunk driver and ended up in the hospital for weeks getting put back together. Drunk only had state minimums and coworker only had 25k bodily injury. Coworker was limited to 25k from his insurance and had more medical costs than that (he is still having follow on surgeries 2 years later). He is trying to sue drunk driver directly now, but who knows how that will pan out.

I have been in two accidents in this state, and neither person who hit me had insurance. The dude who totaled my car got to have my insurance come after him directly for the $48k they paid me out on my 2013 Model S. It is doubtful any normal person carries enough insurance to cover totaling a Tesla, so it is good piece of mind when you know at least your policy is good.

I personally have 250/500 bodily injury (don’t remember what the property limit is) and a 1 million umbrella policy. But I have a house and a 401k, etc. Lots to lose. Once you jump up to the 100k coverage level, it isn’t that expensive to go higher. And umbrella policies are stupidly cheap, they just require the higher minimums on your auto/homeowner/renters.

Reactions: SD_Engnr
I agree with the others here to raise your limits. Consider that you will probably be getting Model Ss as loaner cars which will be covered under your own insurance while you drive them, so I would up property damage to 100k just in case. . .

I personally have 250/500 bodily injury (don’t remember what the property limit is) and a 1 million umbrella policy. But I have a house and a 401k, etc. Lots to lose. Once you jump up to the 100k coverage level, it isn’t that expensive to go higher. And umbrella policies are stupidly cheap, they just require the higher minimums on your auto/homeowner/renters.

The other real value (in addition to the higher limits) of an umbrella policy is that it highly motivates your insurance company to retain the best lawyers they can find to help defend you in an accident. They would rather pay their preferred legal counsel than pay a plaintiff.

I agree with the others here to raise your limits. Consider that you will probably be getting Model Ss as loaner cars which will be covered under your own insurance while you drive them, so I would up property damage to 100k just in case.

In the end, it’s all about the bodily injury coverage tho. If you get into an accident with an uninsured (or minimally insured) driver and get injured, you are going to end up relying on your coverage limits for that. I had a coworker who was hit by a drunk driver and ended up in the hospital for weeks getting put back together. Drunk only had state minimums and coworker only had 25k bodily injury. Coworker was limited to 25k from his insurance and had more medical costs than that (he is still having follow on surgeries 2 years later). He is trying to sue drunk driver directly now, but who knows how that will pan out.

I have been in two accidents in this state, and neither person who hit me had insurance. The dude who totaled my car got to have my insurance come after him directly for the $48k they paid me out on my 2013 Model S. It is doubtful any normal person carries enough insurance to cover totaling a Tesla, so it is good piece of mind when you know at least your policy is good.

Wow, this was incredibly helpful, thank you. I increased my bodily to $100k/200k and my property to $100k. Now, I'm not sure what an umbrella policy is, couldn't find an option for that on my quote configuration..

Wow, this was incredibly helpful, thank you. I increased my bodily to $100k/200k and my property to $100k. Now, I'm not sure what an umbrella policy is, couldn't find an option for that on my quote configuration..

Usually you have to call and ask about umbrella policies. Some insurer websites will mention them, but they don’t quote online for them. I think because they have to ask about your auto and your home/rental coverage plus a bunch of other stuff. When I did mine I was asked if my house had a pool, if I owned pit bulls, if I had rental properties, etc.

• Informative
Reactions: lee619
before I got my model 3 I learned from early owners hereon TMC that Allstate was brutal with model 3 and my agent told me I'll know when I get my VIN. Turned out it was real -I called all the others and finally settled on AMICA-imagine paying $189.00 PM with Allstate & $82.00 PM (just the model 3) for comprehensive with same coverage. Then I added my second car, home, paid for one whole year, enrolled in epay and dropped to $60.00 PM-go to AMICA INSURANCE.

Reactions: SageBrush
The bottom line is, how much do you trust your insurance agent/company? If you trust them, take their advice on insurance levels based on your personal situation. If you do not trust them, you should not be buying your insurance from them.

before I got my model 3 I learned from early owners hereon TMC that Allstate was brutal with model 3 and my agent told me I'll know when I get my VIN. Turned out it was real -I called all the others and finally settled on AMICA-imagine paying $189.00 PM with Allstate & $82.00 PM (just the model 3) for comprehensive with same coverage. Then I added my second car, home, paid for one whole year, enrolled in epay and dropped to $60.00 PM-go to AMICA INSURANCE.
I'm also happy with Amica but they are picky who they insure.