Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help with Charging in Manhattan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep - I already got a no way from the Manhattan store. They offered to look up a charging location for me... Really? I can use ReCargo or PlugShare just as well as they can... I can always detour to the Short Hills Store I suppose but it is a bit out of my way. I managed to get up there with no traffic on Sunday using up almost 90 miles of range. I figure if I budget 130 each way, best case scenario is that I get there with 160 left on the battery and get 4-5 hours charging while I do work stuff, I get full battery to go back. Worst case, I still have the 160 and make it home and use up my own juice. SuperCharger would make it a no brainer to stop right on the way there...

Sam,

Might want to recon the nearby Tesla locations (SC's/sales) for a charge in case you need something...

/Ed

I drive from south jersey (atco) to manhattan daily - 100.1 miles door to door each way. probably about the same distance as coming from philly. I charge while I am up there and as well as from home, but you can easily do this on a single range charge no problem.

Well, I am happy to report all went well today! Left the house with 259 miles of charge, got to Manhattan with 180. After a bit of a circle around 11th and 57th-59th streets found the Roosevelt Hospital garage. The first one I tried (there are two right next to each other) I was told that they have one charger and it is in use and they sort of seemed very shady. The one next door though was very nice! They had a "Juice Bar" which was two spots marked for EV charging and a single charger. There was a plug-in Prius parked there when I arrived, and I took the second spot. They plugged me in and off I went to work! I came back 5 hours later to find my Tesla joined by a Tesla Friend! I saw that he was ready to charge with the charge port open and the adapter already in... I was topped up to 253 so I plugged him in before heading out for dinner and drinks. When I came back a couple of hours later to drive home, he was still there charging up. Made it home with 155 on the battery. Definitely a happy camper. Driving the NJTP and US1 with the Tesla is a whole different experience!

photo 1.jpg

Well, I am happy to report all went well today! Left the house with 259 miles of charge, got to Manhattan with 180. After a bit of a circle around 11th and 57th-59th streets found the Roosevelt Hospital garage. The first one I tried (there are two right next to each other) I was told that they have one charger and it is in use and they sort of seemed very shady. The one next door though was very nice! They had a "Juice Bar" which was two spots marked for EV charging and a single charger. There was a plug-in Prius parked there when I arrived, and I took the second spot. They plugged me in and off I went to work! I came back 5 hours later to find my Tesla joined by a Tesla Friend! I saw that he was ready to charge with the charge port open and the adapter already in... I was topped up to 253 so I plugged him in before heading out for dinner and drinks. When I came back a couple of hours later to drive home, he was still there charging up. Made it home with 155 on the battery. Definitely a happy camper. Driving the NJTP and US1 with the Tesla is a whole different experience!

Sweet!

Yeah driving on the NJT can be pretty fun at times, as per my avg Wh/mi yesterday morning :) it's a good thing NJ doesn't have an automated system for calculating avg speed between entry and exit and sending speeding violation tickets lol though my wife did get me an automated red light ticket a few weeks ago. Perhaps I should re-register her car to her name. :p

qavehera.jpg

Just found out my daily garage installed 2 HPWCs and a J1772. The manager says they are fully operational but they haven't heard how to charge yet from their central office. If you are worried about dings or scratches, don't. The guys here are real professionals. I have been parking daily in Manhattan for 17 years and this is by far the best crew. Not one incident in the past 5 years with these guys.

I already put the info on Plugshare.

Garage charges (480x640).jpg
Garage Address (480x640).jpg
Garage HPWC1 (480x640).jpg
Garage HPWC2.jpg

Just found out my daily garage installed 2 HPWCs and a J1772. The manager says they are fully operational but they haven't heard how to charge yet from their central office. If you are worried about dings or scratches, don't. The guys here are real professionals. I have been parking daily in Manhattan for 17 years and this is by far the best crew. Not one incident in the past 5 years with these guys.

I already put the info on Plugshare.

View attachment 83089View attachment 83090View attachment 83091View attachment 83092

Wow at $823/month (assuming they DONT look at it as an exotic or oversized vehicle which some garages do since it's longer than 181" and that would make the cost even higher), that puts this garage as one of the most expensive in NYC. Great that they have HPWC but I'd never pay those rates. There are much cheaper garages with free chargepoints around.

Why has Tesla has completely ignored the need for superchargers in NY and other major US cities? I recognize the stated vision for the superchargers was to allow long distance travel but getting proper charging in a city is a real hassle as a visitor or resident. Many residents are in apartments and getting the building owner to install chargers is at best a hassle and often impossible. As a visitor, I have had to take my chances on plugshare to find a J1772 in a cramped garage that may or may not be blocked, in-use or even broken when I find it. Contrast this with major cities in Asia and Japan and Europe:
London 8 superchargers
Tokyo 3
Shanghai 7
Beijing 6
Hong Kong 5

There are very few major US cities in the US with Superchargers or on the coming soon list.
I believe this is a lost opportunity for sales to people who live in cities in the US.

I was born and educated in Brooklyn through medical school. When I left NYC I was impressed by how much easier it seemed to be to do the routine everyday tasks. I conceptualized the additional effort that had to be expended in order to live in NYC as the, "Crap Quotient". Reading through this thread seems to confirm that the concept is still valid.

I was born and educated in Brooklyn through medical school. When I left NYC I was impressed by how much easier it seemed to be to do the routine everyday tasks. I conceptualized the additional effort that had to be expended in order to live in NYC as the, "Crap Quotient". Reading through this thread seems to confirm that the concept is still valid.

Confirmed. 16 years in the city and I've had one battle after another in becoming a home owner and raising two children in Manhattan. There are offsets to the PITA obstacle stuff and I love my lifestyle; it's worth it me, but I totally appreciate the sentiment. I'm getting ready to order an MS and the insane insurance rates and how to charge are just the latest challenges.

I'm blessed with a phenomenal parking plan. I have no desire to engender garage envy from fellow Manhattanites so I'll skip the details but suffice to say it's a killer deal for our building residents. But unfortunately we don't have a HPWC (yet...in negotiations with the garage owner.)

So for now it's slow L2 charging (I'll be fighting several LEAF and Smart owners over the two units) or pay $0.49 kWH for L3 on the CHAdeMO. Maybe I'll pick up some public charging while grocery shopping; 1-2 hours max per week. If I leave the city, I'll run smack into a SC on my way to the in-laws, the east end, VT or points south.

But how to get through the week? Completely unknown at this point. Thankfully I won't need to use the car daily.

Confirmed. 16 years in the city and I've had one battle after another in becoming a home owner and raising two children in Manhattan. There are offsets to the PITA obstacle stuff and I love my lifestyle; it's worth it me, but I totally appreciate the sentiment. I'm getting ready to order an MS and the insane insurance rates and how to charge are just the latest challenges.

I'm blessed with a phenomenal parking plan. I have no desire to engender garage envy from fellow Manhattanites so I'll skip the details but suffice to say it's a killer deal for our building residents. But unfortunately we don't have a HPWC (yet...in negotiations with the garage owner.)

So for now it's slow L2 charging (I'll be fighting several LEAF and Smart owners over the two units) or pay $0.49 kWH for L3 on the CHAdeMO. Maybe I'll pick up some public charging while grocery shopping; 1-2 hours max per week. If I leave the city, I'll run smack into a SC on my way to the in-laws, the east end, VT or points south.

But how to get through the week? Completely unknown at this point. Thankfully I won't need to use the car daily.

How much driving are you doing on a daily basis?
Does the garage have L1 charging available?

Here is Manhattan info that I collected:

Charging and Parking in NYC

** Quik Park 1133 Garage LLC 1133 6th Ave New York, New York 10036 on Tesla destination but valet?

** Quik Park Truffles LLC 312 W 34th St New York, New York 10001 on Tesla destination but valet?

** Roosevelt Hospital Garage 515 W 59th St, New York City, NY, 10019 with J1772 charger and self-park?

** Edison ParkFast at 50 West 44th Street - between 6th Avenue and 5th Avenue. "They are very TESLA friendly and knowledgeable. They will charge your car - based on when you want it. I even texted them with an earlier than planned departure and they put it right on the charger. I give them a tip vs. an extra charge for the charging. "

** 230 West 55th St. with HPWCs but valet

unknown chargers but self-parking lots (at least once upon a time):

103 W 62nd St, Lincoln Center
Circle Line, Pier 83/12th Ave @ W 43rd St, Clinton
401 W 42nd St, Clinton
Circle Line , Pier 81/12th Ave @ W 41st, Clinton
218 W 31st St, Chelsea
220 E 26th St, Kips Bay
2500 FDR bet 25th/26th, Kips Bay
New York Skyports Inc, E 23rd St & East River, Kips Bay
Chelsea Piers at W18th-W21st, Chelsea
420 E 20th St, Stuyvestant