Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help with cruise control etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm finding my model y very confusing (only had it 2 weeks but I'm a technical-minded person and work in IT).

No self driving or navigate on autopilot on my car.

Traffic aware cruise control:

On one journey only, I was using auto steer and tacc adjusted my speed up and down according to prevailing speed limits. I've not managed to get it to do that before or since. I've tried various combinations to try and work out the magic sauce, but don't know if there is actually a way to do this reliably. I know I can do it manually, but that's not the point really is it? The car detects the prevailing speed limit but does not adjust my set point.

Then I bought navigate on autopilot:

Same problem, it doesn't adjust my set speed, but now we can add refusal to change lanes to the mix. So, sometimes it works fine. Other times, it suggests a lane change, I say go on then and turn on the indicator and it just sits there with the indicator on and doesn't change lanes. It flashes blue at the top right of the screen. This is plain dangerous as other drivers adjust what they're doing accordingly eg speed up to overtake you as you've just indicated that you're pulling in but you don't. I've pi**ed off more fellow motorists in the last 48 hours than in my last 40 years driving!

Any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong, or is there car nowhere near as clever as I thought?

Reactions: Toblerone
For auto lane changes I have found that pushing the indicator stalk part-way down (i.e. same as the 3-flashes option when driving normally) followed by applying minor turning force to the steering wheel is enough to make it change lanes.

The speed limits, I find it only changes to the speed limit on single carriageways, it’s never done it on dual carriageways or motorways. At best it will update the speed limit sign but not the TACC speed.

On single carriageway it can be temperamental but it will also never go above the speed when you turn it on, ie it will go 60->50->60 but not 50->60->50

For lane changing type stuff. it’s worth a read of the manual (which you can find on the net), but with EAP automated lane changes will only happen if it thinks it’s safe when you ask it too. I gave up on it though it was so frustrating and when I changed my car I didn’t bother with EAP again.

Reactions: Toblerone
I'm finding my model y very confusing (only had it 2 weeks but I'm a technical-minded person and work in IT).

Any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong, or is there car nowhere near as clever as I thought?
I have a similar level of experience but will attempt an answer. Uncle George beat me to it, but as I’ve typed it anyway here it is.

I believe adjust speed limits works on A-roads but not motorways.
Someone posted that if you have your set speed a few mph above the limit on motorways, it will auto adjust (?down) if there is a gantry sign.
I’m just trying explain why it worked one time for you, but generally its not as clever as you/we thought.

For auto lane change, I found this difficult.
I believe you don’t need to put in any steering input (otherwise EAP cancels). But the steering wheel does need to feel resistance which acts as the confirmation.

The Blue flashing is saying it can’t feel that resistance. Add to that it will only change when safe, eg it wouldn’t change for me yesterday on a dual-carriageway with a relatively sharp bend.

Reactions: GeorgeSymonds
Same problem, it doesn't adjust my set speed, but now we can add refusal to change lanes to the mix. So, sometimes it works fine. Other times, it suggests a lane change, I say go on then and turn on the indicator and it just sits there with the indicator on and doesn't change lanes. It flashes blue at the top right of the screen. This is plain dangerous as other drivers adjust what they're doing accordingly eg speed up to overtake you as you've just indicated that you're pulling in but you don't. I've pi**ed off more fellow motorists in the last 48 hours than in my last 40 years driving!
It takes a little bit of getting used to, but when you do Lane Change is a joy to use. As above, blue flashing is because it's not detected you applying pressure to the wheel to show you are there, the lane change procedure is prescriptively regulated in the UK and requires this confirmation. I tend to almost subconsciously give the wheel a little tug after pushing the indicator. At first it feels slow (again the timing is prescriptively defined) but you get used to it, and recognize the size of gaps you need. It does mandate driving like the highway code, only indicating when you are about to make a movement rather than using the indicator to ask other drivers to make a gap.
With practice you learn that you can actually start the process just before the target lane is clear as it will be in a couple of seconds.

On one journey only, I was using auto steer and tacc adjusted my speed up and down according to prevailing speed limits. I've not managed to get it to do that before or since. I've tried various combinations to try and work out the magic sauce, but don't know if there is actually a way to do this reliably. I know I can do it manually, but that's not the point really is it? The car detects the prevailing speed limit but does not adjust my set point.
There are many things that need to be correct before the speed will automatically change. Firstly, under AutoPilot you have to have it set to engage at the speed limit, not the current speed. Then it should reduce as the car detects new limits, but it won't increase higher than the original speed. I think there is also some difference between TACC and AutoPilot, but I always use the later.

It's a faff, and I generally just hold down the right stalk for a few seconds to set the AutoPilot speed to the limit myself through roadworks.

For auto lane changes I have found that pushing the indicator stalk part-way down (i.e. same as the 3-flashes option when driving normally) followed by applying minor turning force to the steering wheel is enough to make it change lanes.
As long as you don't release the stalk until the car has completed the maneuver - otherwise it will lurch back into the original lane if the indicator stops.

As long as you don't release the stalk until the car has completed the maneuver - otherwise it will lurch back into the original lane if the indicator stops.
Yes, it did that to me, very unnerving. So I thought fully engaging the indicator would be safer, but doing that seems to make it fail to do the turn more often than not. Perhaps holding the indicator meant I was applying a little more force to the steering?

I have a similar level of experience but will attempt an answer. Uncle George beat me to it, but as I’ve typed it anyway here it is.

I believe adjust speed limits works on A-roads but not motorways.
Someone posted that if you have your set speed a few mph above the limit on motorways, it will auto adjust (?down) if there is a gantry sign.
I’m just trying explain why it worked one time for you, but generally its not as clever as you/we thought.
Yes, it was on an a road where it worked for me the one time.

Rhetorical question:. Why on earth would it work on an a road and not on a dual carriageway? Jeez

Just to add to the mix, I have a positive experience of this. I use TACC a lot, including to make sure I don’t speed - there is a long straight road that is 40mph and could easily take 60! It works well in traffic too - better in chill mode.
Automatic lane changes are great but do take getting used to. I am usually ready for the suggestion and just touch and release the indicator (3 flashes position) and let it do its thing. It will flash the road lines red if there is a car coming up from behind and then full red line if not safe. Always check anyway but it is interesting that it keeps the change lane suggestion in these scenarios even though it won’t execute even if you authorise.
Lanes changes set to standard and autopilot set to ‘use speed limit’. I generally find it will reduce max speed to signs but not increase - increase needs the 2 second hold down of right lever.
This all seems to work best on motorways and dual carriageways.
There are definitely inconsistencies so it is work in progress.

My 2c, the speed limit detection isn't something I find works well for me. It has a nasty habit of seeing a sign for a 40 limit on a slip road, and not applying the common sense required for "I'm on a motorway still, the sign is on a slip road and clearly applies to the slip road, not the motorway".
With automatic control, if misdetects the speed limit then suddenly the car is breaking relatively hard to bring the speed down to 40 on a motorway. No, thank you very much.

My preference is just to dial in the reduction in speed via the thumb wheel, (Eg 70 to 50 for overhead gantry speed limits on a motorway, first I'll dial in 60 then 50). I can also long press down the right stick half way to "apply settings"

As far as EAP lane changes are concerned, I'd found it works well. But sometimes it wants me to gently turn the wheel in the direction needed for the lane changes, and other times it does not. I now turn the wheel out of habit. Gently, not too hard, or it will just disconnect AP.
If you see the diagram on the screen, you'll find the lane you're moving into goes red if EAP thinks it's unsafe to change lane.
I always do full indicator, that's what feels natural to me.

Regards TACC - I was using AP on Friday and I'm sure at one point it adjusted the speed up to the speed limit without me having to hold down on the stalk (e.g. travelling in a 30 on AP, go past 40 limit signs, the car doesn't adjust to 40 unless I hold down the stalk for ~2 seconds or press the roundel icon on the screen). Perhaps I pushed down on the accelerator and it triggered the same set point that way?

Would agree with @GRiLLA that auto lane change can be sublime once you get used to the way you have to interact with the car. I did a trip to Wales from Bristol area and it handles the whole motorway part well enough. The only minor criticism I'd have is that it did the actual lane changes slower than I would, but probably the "right" speed from a driving instructor point of view.

My M3LR has an annoying glitch that I can't fathom. I use the same dual carriageway regularly, 50 mph limit in long-term roadworks. The road is normally 70 limit. With TACC engaged at 50, at the same point on about half my journeys, the car decides we should be doing 70! There are no signs for 70 visible, and this never happens anywhere else. I don't use AP, or have EAP or FSD.

TACC target speed changes if you set it one mile below or above the set target speed limit ( essentially it changes if you use the scroll wheel in any direction once you put the TACC on). But the only downside here is (other than manually moving scroll wheel) for the next TACC target speed to change you have to again use scroll wheel to change atleast a mile.
For eg., if you are on motorway and you set TACC with target speed at 72. Now use scroll to move to 70. Now you enter slip road and the speed limit changes to 40 and you will see the TACC target speed change to 42. Now use scroll wheel and move to 40. Now you see the 30 speed limit and TACC changes to 32. So essentially you can make the TACC target speed change automatically.

I am sure you can question why make it complicated? The AI logic is the preset target speed (remember you do it in the automatic navigation) cannot change based on camera readings. But if you use scroll wheel to change in either direction then the car assumes this is not the preset condition and changes according to road signs.
It is hard to know what you were expecting from a Tesla unless you explicitly say what clever thing you expected and did not get it.

Reactions: RCMY
My M3LR has an annoying glitch that I can't fathom. I use the same dual carriageway regularly, 50 mph limit in long-term roadworks. The road is normally 70 limit. With TACC engaged at 50, at the same point on about half my journeys, the car decides we should be doing 70! There are no signs for 70 visible, and this never happens anywhere else. I don't use AP, or have EAP or FSD

Is it another manifestation of that that Fleet Speed thing that pisses me off daily when I’m merging motorways? I only use TACC set to engage speed, not limits, but it’s regular as clockwork, same places every time.

recently "upgraded" to navigate on autopilot (NOA) and set it in my profile to start automatically on setting a route. All seemed fine.

the Mrs didn't want to use for a time-critical trip to the airport (she wanted time to play with it first), so we set it to not start automatically for her profile. having done that, I could see no way of enabling it ad-hoc. I expected the icon to be there greyed out but it wasn't even there

the Mrs came back from her journey and said that lane keep assist was no longer available to her on double tap of the right stalk. although I've just tested it myself and it worked for me.

any thoughts on the above?

cheers

the Mrs came back from her journey and said that lane keep assist was no longer available to her on double tap of the right stalk. although I've just tested it myself and it worked for me.

NoA and LKA/AutoSteer are not directly related, so a change to NoA settings should not affect LKA/AutoSteer.

Are you sure that autosteer and NoA (where you accept beta terms etc) are active in both profiles - not just the on screen 'per journey' toggle on nav area or the bit where you can set it to auto start on each journey.

I have a nagging IIRC that NoA activation was a car based acceptance, so if you have NoA then I believe that it should be on for all profiles. But that was V10 UI and things may be quite different now. But worth checking all options as it won't be the first time that an option setting has changed all by itself.

NoA and LKA/AutoSteer are not directly related, so a change to NoA settings should not affect LKA/AutoSteer.

Are you sure that autosteer and NoA (where you accept beta terms etc) are active in both profiles - not just the on screen 'per journey' toggle on nav area or the bit where you can set it to auto start on each journey.

I have a nagging IIRC that NoA activation was a car based acceptance, so if you have NoA then I believe that it should be on for all profiles. But that was V10 UI and things may be quite different now. But worth checking all options as it won't be the first time that an option setting has changed all by itself.
yes, autosteer on in both profiles. NoA active on both but not set as the default for new journeys for her.

yes, autosteer on in both profiles. NoA active on both but not set as the default for new journeys for her.

Apologies, but sounds like you are both new users - could it be that there is some confusion as to autosteer being enabled and NoA being enabled?

Autosteer will not enable under some scenarios, but these are rare (normally only poor road markings or weather) and will be the availability of the little steering wheel icon - if autosteer is not available, then there will be no steering wheel icon, if active then the icon will be blue.

For NoA, there are only a few circumstances where NoA (and auto lane change) is available, typically motorways and some dual carriageway A-roads. When active, NoA will show the single blue line in middle of current lane, otherwise, if just on autosteer, then it's the double blue lines at lane edges.

If not on autosteer, then its just grey lines for lane edges.

Apologies if this is already known, but what you describe on first post sounds odd unless its a misunderstanding about what controls/functions are active at what point. Double tap down will not always put car into autosteer, and if its that action that is triggering the belief that autosteer is on, then its not always the case - either error in performing the double tap, or the car not being in the state that autosteer can be enabled.

Or it could be a fault with the car, in which case a reboot may be a good first thing to do.