Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help with detailed run through of insurance at pick up (BC)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

I'm picking up my car up on June 14th. This is my first time buying a brand new car as my last one was a old beater hand me down so I never had to deal with this stuff so I just want to confirm with you guys.

My insurance doesn't renew until July. I've read people getting quotes from BCAA for optionals beforehand? I admit I'm really clueless on this part. Do I just go in with my existing insurance papers and get the basic insurance from the ICBC agent and then get the optionals from BCAA later? How does this whole process go?

I'm trading in the old beater car so I'm guessing I can keep my existing plates and just get the plate holders from Tesla when I pick up from West 4th? Do I pay for the new insurance on the spot?

P.S. Do they want me to park my trade in car in the basement parking?

Thanks in advance.

was in the same boat as I never bought a new car before. I just called my insurance and asked them to cancel on my old vehicle the day I brought it in for the trade in. And I called CAA in QC and gave them the VIN and ask them to start the insurance the same day. They sent me a proof of insurance of the Tesla I bought, that I showed on pick up and that was ir. Enjoy your new car !:)

• Disagree
  • Informative
Reactions: samk579 and 525SNAP
was in the same boat as I never bought a new car before. I just called my insurance and asked them to cancel on my old vehicle the day I brought it in for the trade in. And I called CAA in QC and gave them the VIN and ask them to start the insurance the same day. They sent me a proof of insurance of the Tesla I bought, that I showed on pick up and that was ir. Enjoy your new car !:)

Tell me if I'm wrong but I thought the ICBC agent on site would just transfer/cancel the existing insurance over? Or should I still call in?

So for calling CAA/BCAA that's just for optionals? I'm just a bit confused on the ICBC basic insurance and then optionals from other brokers.

He might but I didn't ask since I planned it beforehand. So i don't know. I never dealt with a ICBC agent nor I knew there were such an agent on site.
I insured the car with CAA so that was for the full insurance, I don't remember the actual company which CAA is contracting.

• Disagree
Reactions: samk579
If your existing insurance and plates are for a passenger car and the name on the insurance isn’t changing, you can bring your paper and plates in to get transferred. This will effectively cancel your existing policy.

BCAA, walk in or call to get a detailed quote, get a copy of it and bring that with you. Once you have your ICBC basic, call bcaa and provide them registration details and you are good to go.

• Informative
Reactions: 525SNAP
In BC all vehicles must purchase the basic coverage from ICBC. The agent at Tesla delivery can provide that insurance.

Optional insurance can be bought for ICBC or from a third party. I believe the third party sellers at this time are BCAA, Belair, and Family.

If you buy the optional from ICBC, the agent at the Tesla delivery can sell that.

If you choose a third party seller, you will deal with them directly.

The optional insurance offerings and prices vary. For example, BCAA offers replacement vehicle coverage with a 90% option and replacement vehicle coverage with a 50% option and a higher premium. When I spoke with Belair they said their replacement coverage is an 80% test.

(In a 50% test they will replace the car if it sustains damage over 50% of the car’s value. At an 80% test, the damage must be 80% of the car’s value.)

I’m not sure what the replacement test is for ICBC.

Depending on the documented (and I think BC) driving record of any drivers, third parties might not offer coverage.

For example, my wife had an at-fault accident three years ago. Belair would initially not offer optional collision on our other car that is registered with deductible less than $1000. When I told them that she has her own vehicle with insurance on that vehicle, they agreed to a lower deductible.

• Informative
Reactions: 525SNAP
If your existing insurance and plates are for a passenger car and the name on the insurance isn’t changing, you can bring your paper and plates in to get transferred. This will effectively cancel your existing policy.

BCAA, walk in or call to get a detailed quote, get a copy of it and bring that with you. Once you have your ICBC basic, call bcaa and provide them registration details and you are good to go.

In BC all vehicles must purchase the basic coverage from ICBC. The agent at Tesla delivery can provide that insurance.

Optional insurance can be bought for ICBC or from a third party. I believe the third party sellers at this time are BCAA, Belair, and Family.

If you buy the optional from ICBC, the agent at the Tesla delivery can sell that.

If you choose a third party seller, you will deal with them directly.

The optional insurance offerings and prices vary. For example, BCAA offers replacement vehicle coverage with a 90% option and replacement vehicle coverage with a 50% option and a higher premium. When I spoke with Belair they said their replacement coverage is an 80% test.

(In a 50% test they will replace the car if it sustains damage over 50% of the car’s value. At an 80% test, the damage must be 80% of the car’s value.)

I’m not sure what the replacement test is for ICBC.

Depending on the documented (and I think BC) driving record of any drivers, third parties might not offer coverage.

For example, my wife had an at-fault accident three years ago. Belair would initially not offer optional collision on our other car that is registered with deductible less than $1000. When I told them that she has her own vehicle with insurance on that vehicle, they agreed to a lower deductible.

Thank you guys for these information. Very helpful. I know what to do now!