TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Help with EV Trip Planner

Discussion in 'Model S' started by brucet999, Mar 23, 2016.

1. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

Several posters in threads about drawbacks of Tesla's navigation have suggested using EV Trip planner instead.

I have tried to plan a trip from Fremont to Huntington Beach via US 101, but can't figure out how to keep EVTP from sending me through I-5 instead when I click to route through superchargers. Dragging the route on the map doesn't work; it pins the route to the Harris Ranch SC and won't let go.

Thanks

2. msnow

msnow Active Member

Doesn't sound right. You should be able to go through the San Luis Obispo SpC to route on 101. Is there a problem at that charging location?

3. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

Picking up a new car from the factory? Are you "in a hurry"? You can always just ignore the navigation and proceed to the next SC on the 101... That drive is not that difficult, add 40 miles on top of the range to your next destination SC and drive as fast as you want.

4. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Well-Known Member

#4 Andyw2100, Mar 23, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
    You can add multiple locations in EV Trip Planner.

So one work-around would be to route yourself directly to the Supercharger you want to go to, and then route yourself from there to your next stop, etc.

To add an additional stop to a route you just click on the small plus sign. If you were going to take this approach, you would not route through Superchargers, but rather select "Route Direct."

Edit: I just entered your start and end points, and played with EV Trip Planner a bit, and it is even easier than I suggested above. You can do as I suggested, by just entering your start and end points, and selecting "Route Direct." Make sure to show Tesla Superchargers on the map, but not the other chargers. Then you can click on any Supercharger, and select "Charge Here" and EV Trip Planner will automatically add it to your route, and show you how many rated miles you would consume on the way there, based on your other parameters. (I didn't know about this because in my neck of the woods I don't really have a lot of Superchargers to choose from! :) )

Edit 2: Here's a screen capture:

EV Trip Planner Fremont to Huntington Beach.jpg

Edit 3: You can also click on "Steps" to get the details on each portion of the trip, and perhaps most importantly, charging details.

EV Trip Planner Steps.jpg

• Like x 1
  5. Wknapp0924

Wknapp0924 Member

I did that drive back to San Diego a few months ago. After leaving Fremont drive towards the coast and use the Tesla navigation home. It was an awesome drive and absolutely stunning. Had a little range anxiety coming out of Big Bear but that was the only spot.

6. kort677

kort677 Active Member

I think that people need to give the car's trip planner another look, it works pretty darned well. It does have nuances and requires a little brain work on the driver's part but I recently returned from a 4k mile road trip and the planner while not flawless never failed either.

7. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

8. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

Thanks for the "charge here" work-around. That works quite well.

I tried your first suggestion before I posted, but when you enter a supercharger as an additional destination, the program doesn't know to have you charge there so you have no distance data on the "Steps" page.

9. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

Perhaps you did not notice my car info in the signature line. I am actually doing a factory tour with my nephews (one of which has Model 3 reservation # "lower than 197,000", BTW) and I wanted to find out time and distance home via US 101 vs the boring and ugly I-5 route.

10. flyeyes

flyeyes Member

How are you getting the car's trip planner to work?

I put about 1000 miles on my car over the weekend, and tried the onboard nav at least once every leg. Couldn't get it to work at all. Every single time instead of going to the next supercharger, it routed me through a different supercharger that that was out of the way and beyond the car's range. This annoyed my wife who asked why the car was warning us we couldn't make it

The only thing that kinda sorta worked was planning incremental destinations, and retrying that until i got close enough that the car didn't try to take me in another direction.

I used my iPhone for navigation (and discovered a kinda cool feature, that an apple watch will tap your wrist when a turn is coming up)

In town, the car's Nav works pretty well, although sometimes the route isn't ideal. Traveling any distance, though, it's worse than useless.

I'm not sure why this is such a big problem for Tesla. Basic navigation has been pretty much a solved problem even in low-priced cars or $75 hand held for a while now.