TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Help with EV Trip Planner

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by brucet999, May 16, 2016.

1. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

HELP!

I asked this before and got an answer, but try as I might, I can't get this lame search function to find any posts about ev trip planner. I also can't find a way to search my previous posts.

Planning a trip from Huntington Beach to Fremont, via highway 101. EV trip planner defaults to I-5 and I cannot drag the route on the map to 101. If I enter intermediate stops at known superchargers along 101and use "route direct" I can get it to use that route, but it won't show me charging at any of those superchargers. If I delete the intermediate points, once the route shows 101, and then click "route through superchargers", the app puts me back on I-5.

Someone before told me how to add points and then drop them in order to get charging stops and times into the route, but I can't remember how.

Anyone know how?

2. snellenr

snellenr Member

I've done this by doing "route through Superchargers" first and then selecting intermediate chargers (SC or others) on the desired route and clicking the "Charge here" button on the pop-up menu. You might have to add additional chargers to "force" the route/schedule that you know you want to take. The two list tabs will be updated with the new charging information.

Route by Supercharget will reset your route if you click it, removing any "charge here" stations that you've added.

3. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

You are talking about adding intermediate chargers on a route. I am talking about the fact that EVTP re-routes from the desired route to another highway 100 miles east as soon as I click "route through superchargers".

Maybe I can delete the points on the wrong route and use "charge here" to manually select SCs on the desired route.

4. Boatguy

Boatguy Member

You can pick your own route if you prefer. Click on a supercharger, select charge here, and it will be added to the route. Delete the chargers you don't want and then click "Route Direct" and it will route through the superchargers you've selected.

• Like x 1
  5. StaticDischarge

6. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

close. Seaside/Monterey adds 20 miles to the trip and is not needed to reach Gilroy.

7. brec

brec Member

8. Boatguy

Boatguy Member

FWIW, EVTripPlanner uses 300 w/mi to calculate rated miles consumed. The Consumption display on my S90D consistently uses 290 w/mi to calculate projected miles versus rated miles.

The net of this is that I will use about 3.5% more rated miles than EVTripPlanner estimates which makes it effectively an S85D for EVTripPlanner purposes.

9. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Member

No, I don't think that's true. It does not use just one number for that. That is why it has you select from among several different models and configurations: S60, S85, 19" wheels, 21" wheels, etc. It uses a different consumption factor for each of those.

10. brec

brec Member

[I believe Wh/mi was intended.] Further to what Rocky_H pointed out: EVTripPlanner users all your inputs plus aspects of the route -- speeds and elevation changes -- to estimate energy consumption in rated miles or kWh. E.g., try a trip from Carson City, NV to Glenbrook, NV. Then try the return trip. I chose this example because it has a net elevation change of roughly 100 feet per mile.

• Informative x 1
  11. Brass Guy

Brass Guy Member

I see how you do it. Enter departure and destination, click "Route Thru Superchargers".
    Delete all the superchargers you don't want to charge at, then add any you want.

When you delete superchargers from the trip, it does not recalculate.
    It does recalculate when you click "Charge Here".

So if you have one extra you realize you don't need, delete it and one other, then add back the one you still need; to force a recalculation.

12. brec

brec Member

Hmm, unable to edit my reply of 2.5 hours ago? ... I may have misunderstood what Boatguy was saying, and maybe misunderstood Rocky_H too. (I actually don't display or think in terms of rated miles.)

13. Boatguy

Boatguy Member

Rocky & Brec - all true for the calculation of the Wh that EVTP expects you to consume during a trip. But then divide the projected Wh by the RM and you'll find it very consistently 300 Wh/RM, irrespective of any settings. This is a shortcoming because I'm pretty sure that different models have different Wh/RM.

My 90D consumption display works out consistently to 290 Wh/RM. But a P90D has about 8% less rated range and the same size battery, so I suspect (don't have one handy) that its Wh/RM is more like 313 (290*1.08). It's easy enough to figure out. Look at your consumption screen, set it to 30 mi average and do the math.

30 mi avg Wh/mi / (rated range / projected range) = assumed Wh / RM.

Let me know what you see, it would be good to verify this.

14. Boatguy

Boatguy Member

After you've deleted the chargers you don't want, and added the ones you do want, click Route Direct to recalculate.

15. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Member

No, that's not true at all. Did you even bother to check the 60kwh version? I took a route and calculated it across 8 different model combinations. On the 60 kwh versions with 19 inch wheels, it was 29.4kwh and 105 rated miles for a conversion factor of 280 wh/rated mile. For the 60 kwh with 21 inch wheels, it was 30.7 kwh and 105 rated miles for a conversion factor of 292 wh/rated mile.

I did check several others, S70, S85, P85D for both wheel sizes, and they did come out very close, with values of 299, 300, and 301 across those 6 versions. Most of the versions do use a value very close to 300, but the 60kwh is noticeably less. I think the 70 should probably be pretty close to that, so the 300 and 301 values I saw are probably not right.

16. Boatguy

Boatguy Member

No, I didn't check every model and wheel size.

I'm a little confused by your post. I think you must have a 70 and you're concluding that EVTP is not using the right Wh/RM?

In any event, what would be really useful is if we could determine the Tesla Wh/RM for each model by having owners of each do the math per this equation: 30 mi avg Wh/mi / (rated range / projected range) = assumed Wh / RM.

Then we could send those to Ben and he could update EVTP.

Could you check this for your car?

17. Brass Guy

Brass Guy Member

OP stated it didn't show charge times when you hit "Route Direct," so I didn't try that. It looks like it does though, so never mind.

18. Boatguy

Boatguy Member

Rocky - Would you humor me and tell me the values for three numbers from your car when it's convenient?

Instrument Panel: Rated Miles
    Consumption Display on 30 mi average: Wh/mi and Projected Range as displayed on either side of the Consumption graph?

Thanks!

19. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Member

I don't think I really want to work on contributing to this because I don't think it would be helpful. I do not have a 70. I have an S85, which seems to be one of the most common types and is REALLY well dialed in for their estimates. Sorry.

20. Boatguy

Boatguy Member

That's probably also good for them to know. Whatever they are using is working well for the S85.