Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help with existing high-power outlet: what's needed here?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Trnsl8r

S85 2012-2018, X90 since 2016, 3 since 2018
Aug 20, 2011
San Jose, CA
Hi all,
Have a friend that runs a winery and would love to make an EV charging station. Setting up a brand new one is too expensive, but he wouldn't mind using his existing outlets. Can anyone here advise on what possibilities he has? There are two types:

Skärmavbild 2013-07-01 kl. 14.41.57.png
Skärmavbild 2013-07-01 kl. 14.42.44.png

Skärmavbild 2013-07-01 kl. 14.45.32.png

My advice is to keep looking for outlets - he has commercial 3 phase power - none of those outlets could be used as is for a charge station or plug, but I suppose you could build an adapter to plug into those receptacles and provide a 208V, 30A receptacle. But those Mennekes plugs aren't cheap. It would probably be easier and maybe even cheaper to run a separate line from a nearby breaker box and provide a receptacle. Is he looking for a J1772 charger, or just something common like a NEMA 14-50 50A receptacle that a Tesla and people with mobile chargers can plug into?

Maybe someone with commercial electricity experience can pipe up here...

As Cosmacelf says, you will need some type of a custom adapter to use these outlets from the Mennekes receptacle that you have.

The top receptacle is likely more appropriate as it will provide a L-L voltage that is within spec. My guess is that a L-L (line-to-line) connection would work. However, you are likely going to be limited in terms of charging current (40A is going to be too high for that receptacle).

The bottom receptacle is not really workable for generic charging use. It is 480VAC 3ph L-L. Depending upon the 3-phase configuration, it may be workable for Model S (e.g., if it's wye and you can use the 277V L-N voltage), but it won't be workable for other cars and some EVSE equipment because the voltage is too high. There are also implications based on the transformer bank used, etc. I would not use this connection.

Like Cosmacelf suggests, placing a simple RV panel outdoors is likely the best option.

My advice is to keep looking for outlets - he has commercial 3 phase power - none of those outlets could be used as is for a charge station or plug, but I suppose you could build an adapter to plug into those receptacles and provide a 208V, 30A receptacle. But those Mennekes plugs aren't cheap. It would probably be easier and maybe even cheaper to run a separate line from a nearby breaker box and provide a receptacle. Is he looking for a J1772 charger, or just something common like a NEMA 14-50 50A receptacle that a Tesla and people with mobile chargers can plug into?

Maybe someone with commercial electricity experience can pipe up here...

(Bolding mine.)

Either I guess. He was just interested in being able to provide a charging opportunity for guests to his winery. He's doing the dry-farming, organic thing so to provide for EVs would be up his alley, but just wasn't up for spending four-figures on the endeavor. So I said I would reach out here and see what I find out.