Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help with Hood Adjustment after installing installing Hansshow Power Frunk V4.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Yonki

Supporting Member
Mar 31, 2015
Pacific Grove, CA
Just installed the 4.2 frunk kit in my 2018 Model 3. Everything's working, but when the frunk is closed the driver's side of the frunk is pulled down significantly (3.5mm) lower than the top of the quarter panel. I've tried adjusting the mounts to compensate for it, but it hasn't helped. Even when I move the lock way up (so the closed hood is much higher than the body), that driver's side is still pulled low. It's definitely the strut contracting too far.

Some of the ever-changing, ever-confusing, never-current Hansshow documentation shows a controller that has strength, height, and speed adjustment. Unfortunately the new waterproof 4.2 controller doesn't have the button shown in those instructions.

I'll contact Hansshow but figured I'd try here first. And of course when/if I figure it out I'll post the solution here. Cheers.

I also noticed that both struts, but particularly the one on the problematic side, make clunking noises about halfway through the lowering of the hood (also makes a more quiet noise about 3/4 of the way up when opening). Is this sound normal? Maybe my strut is defective...

I also noticed that both struts, but particularly the one on the problematic side, make clunking noises about halfway through the lowering of the hood (also makes a more quiet noise about 3/4 of the way up when opening). Is this sound normal? Maybe my strut is defective...
Swapped struts - clunking noise moved to the other side (so one strut does have a hopefully minor problem) but alignment issue stayed on the same side of car.

Reinstalled frunk and hood fit much better. Lesson learned: You can't adjust hood alignment without frunk insert installed.

Closing the case on this one.