TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Help with interior.

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Firewired, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Firewired

Firewired Member

I live in San Antonio and don't have a nearby showroom to see interiors. I am currently in a 2014 Model S with black interior with matte obeche, which I have always thought looked clean and elegant. I am currently considering at a 2016 vehicle which isn't local and has black interior with figured ash trim. Pictures I have seen of the figured ash look similar to some BMWs I have owned, I am not sure I am a fan. How light or red is figured ash in real life. What do you all think of black with figured ash compared to obeche matte versus carbon fiber? I know that taste is subjective, but appreciate as much input as I can get.

Thank you.

2. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

I was not really impressed with it. In the Model S that I saw it in, it was more on the brown side and very plain looking. I guess I was expecting a bit more physical variation in the surface color. I ended up just taking the standard black ash trim. If you are not trading your '14 you could always swap the panels on to the '16.

3. Mambocombo

Mambocombo New Member

I just bought a model s with black seats and figured ash. Looks very good. The wood is brown with black marbling. Nice look.

4. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

My car came with carbon fibre. Signature white seats and black headliner. It did nothing for the car. I don't know why people like the carbon so much. At the time I did not like any of the options, so I made my own with a native Australian timber veneer and Tesla supplied substrate. I still have the original carbon in the centre armrest only - I still don't think it does anything for the car. My wood trim on the other hand.... YESSSSSS.

5. Buddy

Buddy Member

Pic please??

6. Mark Z

Mark Z Active Member

#6 Mark Z, Apr 11, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    Get photos of the all three panels of the Figured Ash you are considering. Being a natural material, every vehicle looks different. Sometimes the design has plain wood grain and other panels have rounded circular patterns. Make sure you are pleased with the wood grain of the vehicle by viewing the full width of the dash. Figured Ash is a matte finish and will not mirror the image of objects as you drive.

The Tesla Design Studio can help. They show three shades of the Figured Ash when you select it. Notice the dash, the color sample you clicked and most important, the driver cup holder. All three are different.

Comparing color can be tricky on a computer screen with different brightness settings. I have a oak Stickley piece that is the darker reddish #32 Onondaga finish that matches my Figured Ash closely. Here is a link to a "general reference" of Stickley wood finishes, however while my wood matches, this color chart is way off on my screen. It is a darker brown color that matched the #18 or #931 colors when printed! If you see the Stickley furniture in person, that is a better way to judge the color match. The only way to be sure, is to see the actual vehicle.

Stickley Mission Oak & Cherry Collection

(For more comparisons, search for images of the "2011 Stickley Wedding Mirror" that were ALL manufactured in the #32 Onondaga finish. You will find many shades of the color on your computer.) http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/ca/71/25/ca71253d32c226b4ab3a69ea9fd50abb.jpg

For those custom ordering and want a charcoal color with a gray horizontal pattern matte finish that is not too dark, the carbon fiber is a good choice. The dark ash has a shiny piano black like finish and reflects objects easily.

7. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

Modifications check my original post.

8. RunDeep

RunDeep Member

• Informative x 1
  9. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

We have Figured Ash with tan interior. Be glad to let you look at it if we can work out timing. Also, the SA Service Center and Gallery should be opening VERY shortly. Certainly by the end of April, 2017. (I'd never make it as CEO of an electric car company -- that date is too specific)