Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help with know what number my model s is!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If it's a Signature, then your VIN will contain the letter 'S' just before the number (i.e. ...S01088). I believe the Signature series was for the first 1000 (or so) reservation holders, which is not the same thing as the first 1000 (or so) cars off the line. If memory serves, there was a Founders' Series first, plus non-Signature cars for demo/loaner purposes. Your VIN is not, and never was, an indication of what order your car was built at the factory. Only Tesla knows that for sure.

So, it doesn't matter that your VIN is S01088, or S44088, it's still a Signature. :)

If it's a Signature, then your VIN will contain the letter 'S' just before the number (i.e. ...S01088). I believe the Signature series was for the first 1000 (or so) reservation holders, which is not the same thing as the first 1000 (or so) cars off the line. If memory serves, there was a Founders' Series first, plus non-Signature cars for demo/loaner purposes. Your VIN is not, and never was, an indication of what order your car was built at the factory. Only Tesla knows that for sure.

So, it doesn't matter that your VIN is S01088, or S44088, it's still a Signature. :)
Awesome that is good info :) thanks

Your VIN is not, and never was, an indication of what order your car was built at the factory. Only Tesla knows that for sure.

That is a bit of an overstatement. It is a rough indication of when your car was built. The VINS were typically sequential however there were a fair number of out of order builds. So a Signature 1088 VIN was probably roughly the 1100th car built plus or minus a couple hundred.

Some folks (particularly on the X) held off on configuring their signature series for a long time so some of them were pretty late builds, but that was the exception, not the rule.