Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help with Model Y Performance 22 Used decision (Steal deal). First time Tesla buyer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,
Finally I had an opportunity to buy a car and it's going to be Tesla.
I have booked mYLR 23 - 21inch wheels and got to know that there's no parking assist. So, I have cancelled the order.
Later I got an offer from my friend's friend.
Model Y 22 performance with 6500 miles for $55k with FSD.
- I got to know that it doesn't have Ryzen - Deal > Ryzen so I got convinced that I'm fine.
- Few friends are telling me that I'll be disappointed with the ride quality. It's bumpy bla bla. My current car is Nissan Maxima ( bad suspension for sure ).
Is mYP quality that bad?
Did I do anything wrong cancelling latest my 23 LR just because of no USS? - For me it's a good choice to cancel since me and my wife are not at all comfy without sensors.
But this used deal also has FSD.
Can someone guide this lost soul. Little bit stressed on this part due to excitement and anxiety.

I'd take the MYP 55K w/ FSD is pretty good I think. Check local pricing to be sure ofc.

Suspension wise, the big issue is ppl's expectations. If you come in thinking it's a waterbed ride like a Caddy or Lexus, you'll be sorely disappointed. If instead you are used to sports cars that can generated close to 1G on a skidpad, you'll be ok with the level of comfort. It's is pretty great on a smooth surface which the initial damping settings were tuned for. Ironically, my wife loves her 21 MYP with its stiff suspension and all. She's used to driving trucks so I guess it wasn't much of a stretch for her.

I'd take the MYP 55K w/ FSD is pretty good I think. Check local pricing to be sure ofc.

Suspension wise, the big issue is ppl's expectations. If you come in thinking it's a waterbed ride like a Caddy or Lexus, you'll be sorely disappointed. If instead you are used to sports cars that can generated close to 1G on a skidpad, you'll be ok with the level of comfort. It's is pretty great on a smooth surface which the initial damping settings were tuned for. Ironically, my wife loves her 21 MYP with its stiff suspension and all. She's used to driving trucks so I guess it wasn't much of a stretch for her.
What about the Ryzen part? Will I miss any future updates especially because of no Ryzen?

What about the Ryzen part? Will I miss any future updates especially because of no Ryzen?
Ryzen is definitely better, faster no doubt but... Is a LR with Ryzen better than a MYP with Intel. No for me. Is a LR Ryzen better than a 55K MYP w/ FSD from a friend with a known history? Nope again. Then again that's me, so you'll have to decide and live with it. Also... track mode!

Reactions: jjrandorin
Ryzen is definitely better, faster no doubt but... Is a LR with Ryzen better than a MYP with Intel. No for me. Is a LR Ryzen better than a 55K MYP w/ FSD from a friend with a known history? Nope again. Then again that's me, so you'll have to decide and live with it. Also... track mode!
Trust me. I'm getting more info from internet from real people over my friends who are trashing me on buying an old car. I did some kind of mistake similar to this in past. It was a bad choice but my only thing is -> Am I doing the same thing? This deal is no way near to 23 LR without FSD for sure. Maybe I'm in search of some soothness. lol..
I just saw zoom app is only available on Ryzen (I don't care about zoom) but what about other future apps?
I think there's no retrofit for intel atom thingy to replace with Ryzen.

Trust me. I'm getting more info from internet from real people over my friends who are trashing me on buying an old car. I did some kind of mistake similar to this in past. It was a bad choice but my only thing is -> Am I doing the same thing? This deal is no way near to 23 LR without FSD for sure. Maybe I'm in search of some soothness. lol..
I just saw zoom app is only available on Ryzen (I don't care about zoom) but what about other future apps?
3/Y Ryzens are limited to 8gb ram, so they ain't gonna do much with that limit... unlike the revised S/X which has 16gb (and a discrete gpu). Yea, the Ryzen is faster and if given the choice you'd obviously pick Ryzen. The thing to remember is that these cars are maxed out. The fastest a LR can ever be and that would be with a +$2K optional Acceleration Boost is be half a second slower to everything vs a MYP. That will never change, so if you like performance you need to buy it from the start. Also, I'm not one of those that sits in the car and plays games so... my priorities are not the same as those who would demand Ryzen.

And btw you're friends are dumb, a 22 MYP with 6500 miles is old? OLD? For reals?? And a new MYP with FSD is 84K, are your friend on freaking drugs? 84-55=29K saved. Seriously, a lil compromise for that much saved off a new one?

3/Y Ryzens are limited to 8gb ram, so they ain't gonna do much with that limit... unlike the revised S/X which has 16gb (and a discrete gpu). Yea, the Ryzen is faster and if given the choice you'd obviously pick Ryzen. The thing to remember is that these cars are maxed out. The fastest a LR can ever be and that would be with a +$2K optional Acceleration Boost is be half a second slower to everything vs a MYP. That will never change, so if you like performance you need to buy it from the start. Also, I'm not one of those that sits in the car and plays games so... my priorities are not the same as those who would demand Ryzen.

And btw you're friends are dumb, a 22 MYP with 6500 miles is old? OLD? For reals?? And a new MYP with FSD is 84K, are your friend on freaking drugs? 84-55=29K saved. Seriously, a lil compromise for that much saved off a new one?
I really appreciate your reply. Looks like I need to focus on next step which is to double check everything. I don't think I can edit the post message. I just got an update that price is bumped to $57.5k which is totally fine from the above math. Looks like FSD weighs alot in this.

Reactions: thesmokingman
Sounds like you should buy this car and get new friends…

some thoughts

* you can take the wheels tires off the performance Y and put 19" OEM wheels on it (if it doesn't have 19" wheels already) to improve the ride. Doing so might also increase range.

* You won't be able to easily/cheaply change the interior color or exterior color.

* you could wait and see how the pricing changes for the Model Y in 2023. There is much kerfuffle about the 5 seat Y not getting the $7,500 credit and maybe Tesla creates a config you would like that is under $55,000. If so, you then have to look at that price - your income tax liability (if you owe enough you could lower the price of the Model Y). There is some chance that this config won't have room in the price for color or autopilot, or that it won't happen at all.

Almost certainly there will be a point in the future when new updates/features are Ryzen-only. We’ve already seen this once with the S/X transition from Tegra to Intel.

Only you can decide if missing out on some future feature is potentially a deal breaker. Wouldn’t be for me.

Reactions: WyoDude
Sounds like a good deal. Drive it and find someone local who knows Tesla to do a thorough pre purchase inspection (friend or no friend). Also, be sure he actually optioned FSD and doesn't just have a monthly subscription to it. If FSD was optioned and paid in full it will be on the window sticker of the car. He is probably offering it to you for what he would get on trade...probably a little more. Trade in on that car today is probably down in the 40s unfortunately.

trade offers are up to 25% below wholesale right now :eek:

some thoughts

* you can take the wheels tires off the performance Y and put 19" OEM wheels on it (if it doesn't have 19" wheels already) to improve the ride. Doing so might also increase range.

* You won't be able to easily/cheaply change the interior color or exterior color.

* you could wait and see how the pricing changes for the Model Y in 2023. There is much kerfuffle about the 5 seat Y not getting the $7,500 credit and maybe Tesla creates a config you would like that is under $55,000. If so, you then have to look at that price - your income tax liability (if you owe enough you could lower the price of the Model Y). There is some chance that this config won't have room in the price for color or autopilot, or that it won't happen at all.
Sounds like a good deal. Drive it and find someone local who knows Tesla to do a thorough pre purchase inspection (friend or no friend). Also, be sure he actually optioned FSD and doesn't just have a monthly subscription to it. If FSD was optioned and paid in full it will be on the window sticker of the car. He is probably offering it to you for what he would get on trade...probably a little more. Trade in on that car today is probably down in the 40s unfortunately.

trade offers are up to 25% below wholesale right now :eek:
You mean to say that I’m paying extra now?
Do you mind providing me used car resources where I can find the same one or something close for cheap?

some thoughts

I don’t think I’ll be qualified for EV credits due to household income thingy.
Yeah I like the interior color but the exterior color is kind of neutral to me but my wife hates it and trying to compromise her with the deal.

You mean to say that I’m paying extra now?
Do you mind providing me used car resources where I can find the same one or something close for cheap?
I am not saying that. I am saying your friend may be trying to give you a deal and also getting a little more than he would get on trade which is totally understandable. If KBB says its worth 55k on trade a real trade offer will likely be much much lower. Its a good deal for a private party sale if the car is in good condition, no accidents, no issues, and does indeed have fully paid FSD.

I am not saying that. I am saying your friend may be trying to give you a deal and also getting a little more than he would get on trade which is totally understandable. If KBB says its worth 55k on trade a real trade offer will likely be much much lower. Its a good deal for a private party sale if the car is in good condition, no accidents, no issues, and does indeed have fully paid FSD.
I got a range from KBB - $56k to $60k.
I can’t edit the post but the price got increased to $57.5k. For sure it has FSD (not a subscription)

But trust me in the other Websites same car is being sold for much higher price.