Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help with Model Y Performance 22 Used decision (Steal deal). First time Tesla buyer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But trust me in the other Websites same car is being sold for much higher price.
Yes, but are they being sold for that? They are asking those prices but many of the cars are not moving or selling. Your friend sounds smart. He is asking a little more than what he would get on trade so that he can get a quick sale.

If the car checks out like I said above it still seems reasonable for a private sale with FSD option.

Yes, but are they being sold for that? They are asking those prices but many of the cars are not moving or selling. Your friend sounds smart. He is asking a little more than what he would get on trade so that he can get a quick sale.

If the car checks out like I said above it still seems reasonable for a private sale with FSD option.
Ohhh! Now I got your perspective
Google is your friend
I know few. They are showing up in the range of $67’s

Exactly he raised price on me. He is my friend’s friend. But I understand that in few websites same config is being sold for a much higher price. But that’s the last message I got regarding price increase. This is no scam -> car is in good condition. I will check it out myself this week.

No deal is worth that to me. I mean, I think the car was a decent price before, but if the price was 55 and all of a sudden its now 57.5 thats a hard (HARD) pass for me, cause I dont do that kind of crap. I would rather pay someone else more than deal with that BS from "a friend of a friend".

No deal is worth that to me. I mean, I think the car was a decent price before, but if the price was 55 and all of a sudden its now 57.5 thats a hard (HARD) pass for me, cause I dont do that kind of crap. I would rather pay someone else more than deal with that BS from "a friend of a friend".
I totally agree with you. If it's a matter of self respect yes. But in terms of saving money I can't increase my budget due to other commitments. Maybe last chance is to drop this deal and wait for one more.

I totally agree with you. If it's a matter of self respect yes. But in terms of saving money I can't increase my budget due to other commitments. Maybe last chance is to drop this deal and wait for one more.

The most "taken" I have ever been in a financial situation was when I was about 23 years old. Sparing the details, my beater car broke down, a "friend of my wifes brother" was a mechanic, and we had the car towed to his sho. . That person took me for every penny I had, and some of the repairs ended up not even being necessary (and the car never ran right after that, either).

I found out later that this "friend of my wifes brother" had a deal with my wifes brother to share the profit they made from fixing my car with them as a referral fee. I have basically never really forgiven my wifes brother, even though he apologized multiple times over the years. I am 55 now and still dont really associate with him, that bridge is long long burned.

I obviously have some passion around this, but I would rather pass on the deal altogether, with a 2.5k price increase "just because".

Reactions: cyberslayer
My opinion, bail. price increase is a weird sign. But is there a 4k IRS rebate for buying used or don’t apply here?
It's a friend of a friend. Get the car checked out stick to 55k in a falling market. If you get a good PPI it's hard to get taken advantage of.

The other stories got me thinking though. Maybe the friend of a friend isn't really serious about selling. Maybe he is just seeing what he might be able to get.

4k used EV credit is only for vehicles 25k or less. In another month or two may be quite a few M3 SR that qualify.

Exactly he raised price on me. He is my friend’s friend. But I understand that in few websites same config is being sold for a much higher price. But that’s the last message I got regarding price increase. This is no scam -> car is in good condition. I will check it out myself this week.
You keep saying other websites show the car BEING SOLD for a much higher price.
I caution you that the prices you see in used car ads are ASKING PRICES, not selling prices, and are almost all negotiable.
Price increase of $2.5k for really no reason in a falling market? I would question the seller as to why he is suddenly
asking for more $$ besides just being greedy.

4k or 30% of purchase price (whichever is less) used EV credit is only for vehicles 25k or less, sold by a dealer only, and only once in the vehicle’s lifetime, and only if your AGI is less than $75k individual / $150k joint and also enough that you actually have $4k of tax liability because it’s not refundable.
FTFY

Quite a few more asterisks to the used credit.

Been looking into this for my daughter.

FTFY

Quite a few more asterisks to the used credit.

Been looking into this for my daughter.
Yes, it has lower income limits. Anything more than $13,300 would qualify for the maximum $4,000. Here is the official IRS page for this credit: Used Clean Vehicle Credit | Internal Revenue Service

I have been doing the same for my daughter. Just turned 16...where did the time go?

Reactions: ucmndd
going back to ryzen vs intel. I had a 2018 Model 3 with intel and just got a 2023 Model Y Performance with Ryzen...... the real world difference to me is the hulu/netflix and other theater apps starting up MUCH faster.

those theater apps are good for keeping (impatient) toddlers entertained while waiting in the car, or while sitting in the car in the winter time while supercharging.

here's a link that talks more about it.

i think the price increase is a dirty move. while the used car IRS rebate is only valid when purchased from a DEALER, the price of the used tesla makes it a moot point.

prices on used teslas are falling, and unfortunately, i got shafted on my trade in of my tesla. another forum member explained it as this: since they're not in high demand, they're anticipating the prices falling more so they're offering less than normal to protect themselves from the impending further price drop. Perhaps waiting a bit longer could get you an even better price from a legit dealer?

good luck on your decision! these high value purchases are never fun to make, esp with so many variables.....

The most "taken" I have ever been in a financial situation was when I was about 23 years old. Sparing the details, my beater car broke down, a "friend of my wifes brother" was a mechanic, and we had the car towed to his sho. . That person took me for every penny I had, and some of the repairs ended up not even being necessary (and the car never ran right after that, either).

I found out later that this "friend of my wifes brother" had a deal with my wifes brother to share the profit they made from fixing my car with them as a referral fee. I have basically never really forgiven my wifes brother, even though he apologized multiple times over the years. I am 55 now and still dont really associate with him, that bridge is long long burned.

I obviously have some passion around this, but I would rather pass on the deal altogether, with a 2.5k price increase "just because
Woah.
You keep saying other websites show the car BEING SOLD for a much higher price.
I caution you that the prices you see in used car ads are ASKING PRICES, not selling prices, and are almost all negotiable.
Price increase of $2.5k for really no reason in a falling market? I would question the seller as to why he is suddenly
asking for more $$ besides just being greedy.

going back to ryzen vs intel. I had a 2018 Model 3 with intel and just got a 2023 Model Y Performance with Ryzen...... the real world difference to me is the hulu/netflix and other theater apps starting up MUCH faster.

those theater apps are good for keeping (impatient) toddlers entertained while waiting in the car, or while sitting in the car in the winter time while supercharging.

here's a link that talks more about it.

i think the price increase is a dirty move. while the used car IRS rebate is only valid when purchased from a DEALER, the price of the used tesla makes it a moot point.

prices on used teslas are falling, and unfortunately, i got shafted on my trade in of my tesla. another forum member explained it as this: since they're not in high demand, they're anticipating the prices falling more so they're offering less than normal to protect themselves from the impending further price drop. Perhaps waiting a bit longer could get you an even better price from a legit dealer?

good luck on your decision! these high value purchases are never fun to make, esp with so many variables.....
Nice information. Your info regarding ryzen vs intel is convincing. Yea price increase is a dirty move. I got to know that the seller had the kbb check and tried to play me by showing the private value column where it shows a lot over there. Maybe I just fell for the FSD.

I really appreciate your reply. Looks like I need to focus on next step which is to double check everything. I don't think I can edit the post message. I just got an update that price is bumped to $57.5k which is totally fine from the above math. Looks like FSD weighs alot in this.
Keep in mind, FSD generally speaking has ZERO value to commercial buyers. Only Tesla will give some value back and private sales. So you could call his bluff, his cars value is only going to go down not up.

Keep in mind, FSD generally speaking has ZERO value to commercial buyers. Only Tesla will give some value back and private sales. So you could call his bluff, his cars value is only going to go down not up.
Agree prices are only going down at the moment. FSD has no value to dealers or trades because Tesla generally removes the feature when it's purchased or traded to a dealer. FSD does have value in a private sale because it can transfer. The seller will probably argue FSD is $200 a month or $15,000 to fully purchase.

All depends on how important FSD is to you. At 57.5 he is probably being offered 10,000 or more less on trade. Wholesale values are awful right now.

Reactions: thesmokingman