Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help with Nema 14-50 Install (with pictures)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know these questions have been asked over and over on here but I'm running into a very specific issue that I haven't found an answer for yet.

Let's get right to it... my breaker is popping when I go to plug the charger into the outlet. Why? I'd like to figure that out. My neutral and ground bars are connected. You'll see in the picture that I wired the ground to the left side and the neutral to the right side but this doesn't make a difference. I've tried it both ways. I thought the 50amp breaker might be bad but I swapped it out and same issue happens.

Here's exactly what happens... I wire it all up just like you see in the picture with the two power wires going into the breaker, the neutral and ground to their buss bars. When I flip on the breaker, everything is good. I test the outlet and I'm receiving 110volts out of each side of the plug. But then it all goes awry when I go to plug in the gen 1 charger. The breaker pops.

I verified I have a tight fitting at each wire making good contact. I've also checked continuity between power and neutral/ground wires. Everything is checking out. I've also tried my girlfriend's gen 1 charger and it pops the breaker too.

20210504_084903.jpg
20210504_084850.jpg

From what you posted it seems fine. With the UMC unplugged I would fully switch the breaker to off with some authority and then back on making sure it's full off and then full on. It would help if you posted a picture inside of the receptacle box too. I would also test another UMC or test your UMC in a known-working outlet. These would be the next steps of narrowing down the problem in the chain.

Reactions: Rocky_H and miimura
The connections in your panel look fine. What I do not see is how the wires are connected onto your outlet. And since this pops immediately when you plug in, I am suspecting that you have something hooked up wrong there, and it's a short circuit when something gets into those slots of the outlet.

Reactions: Ostrichsak
you could unhook the outlet and cap the wires and see if still popping, if so the wire is bad and might be a short where the individual wires were cut for the sheathing of the cable touching bare metal near the breaker (I've done this by accident when stripping romex for an standard outlet). If it it doesn't trip there then next step is to put the outlet back and check or defective outlet. I'm assuming that's the outlet below the box?

EDIT: if you zoom in on the pic is that bare metal from a conductor we're seeing where the copper ground is leaving the sheathing.