TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Help with picking interior trim type, real photos?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by grisnjam, Aug 29, 2012.

1. grisnjam

grisnjam P6316

So I am P6316 and figure at the current rate I will be asked to configure fairly soon. The only thing I am not to sure about is the interior trim I want. Here is what I plan on getting:

60kWh
    Silver with body colored roof
    19 wheels
    Grey Leather
    Tech Package
    Sound Studio Package
    Air Suspension
    Parcel Shelf

I am leaning towards Lacewood or Piano Black. Here is what the design studio shows me:

Piano Black:
    Grey with Piano Black.png
    Lacewood:
    Grey with Lacewood.png
    Glossy Obeche:
    Grey with Glossy Obeche.png
    Matte Obeche:
    Grey with Matte Obeche.png

Thoughts? Also does anyone have some real life pictures of the various trims?

Thanks,

2. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

3. grisnjam

grisnjam P6316

Perfect, I scanned the "interror" subfourm with no luck, I guess I should have looked at the main one too.

Thanks,

4. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

As I've said elsewhere, I prefer the lacewood because all of the other options look too "plasticky" for my taste (particularly the piano black and glossy obeche). The lacewood is unique and attractive in person, to my eye.

5. Kipernicus

Kipernicus Model S Res#P1440

One of the store advocates showed me that the matte obeche brings out the grey colors of the wood more, while gloss brings out the browns.

6. grisnjam

grisnjam P6316

#6 grisnjam, Aug 29, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
    Interesting. I do have small kids and so was leaning against the Matte option as a result. I pretty much like them all on the dash but having it cover the opportunity console has me wanting to really thinking it though; as shown here:

Console3_Shelf-cupholders.jpg

7. DrMikki

DrMikki P4914

It'd be better if they could go horizontal with the grain... It does look a bit odd but we are still going with gray leather and matte obeche.

8. onlinespending

I think the Obeche looks dated and unattractive. Like faux wood paneling that was prominent in the 70's. I like the simplicity of the piano black but wish they offered a matte version of it. I'll withhold judgement on the Lacewood until I see it in person.

9. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

The Motor Trend review that just came out a few days ago has a few pics of the glossy obeche--there were limited pictures of that finish elsewhere, as I recall.

I ended up getting Piano black with black interior, as my wife said no to any wood-like finish...although I could've gone with matte obeche.

Of course my favorite was the carbon fiber...but a bit too much of a stretch for me.

10. contaygious

contaygious Active Member

If I couldn't get cf I'd go lacewood I think. I liked the banana leaf so when it disappeared it made my choice to cf easy!

11. hvb

hvb Member

I too am getting the piano black and feel the same way about wood looking dated in a car.

12. jkirkebo

jkirkebo Model S P85+ VIN 14420 EU

I agree 100%. The matte CF was one important nugde towards the performance-version for me, together with the carbon grey wheels.

13. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

I suspect that carbon fiber will look dated in a few years -- like the Pompideux Centre in Paris, with all its industrial materials on display. Of course, there's a good argument that wood already is dated!

14. n00b

n00b Member

What do TMC members think of the following combination: Sig Red paint, White leather, Carbon Fiber trim? I haven't found any photos showcasing this particular setup.

Also, would the dark gray wheels match Sig Red paint? In fact, are there any colors that don't look good together with the dark wheels?

(I know this may be all subjective, but I appreciate your opinions)

15. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I went back and forth on this. I initially chose not to get the performance wheels because I thought it clashed with all of the chrome on the Model S. I still haven't seen it in person but pictures are showing up with this combo and look pretty good. The white leather looks really nice but some people are concerned about it holding up over time/getting dirty easily. I think you've picked a nice setup with the CF trim.

16. ModelS1079

ModelS1079 Member

Agree - with tan leather (my config) the warmth and colors the gloss brings will work nicely I think. I do like the lacewood too. They clearly changed the pattern in the lacewood along the way - the newer I like more. That said, I do like all the trim choices.

17. MikeK

MikeK R#129, TSLA shareholder

I think the Sig Red + White is gorgeous, although I'm not a fan of the piping on the performance seats, except for the red piping. The CF is really nice and I would be happy to have it. If it were my car, I would get the silver 21" wheels, or the 19" wheels. I'm just not a big fan of the Carbon Grey wheels, although the Sig Red is one of the colors I think they look good on (the other is the Dolphin Grey).

18. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Agree.

If I got a (strange?) e-mail from Tesla saying they are offering the White Leather with Red Piping and that I had the opportunity for a no-delay and no-price-change switch from Black Leather with Red Piping, I'd probably do it.

19. ddruz

ddruz Member

It is definitely my subjective opinion, but since you asked, silver does not look good together with the dark wheels when seen in person. Sig red looks good with everything.

20. jkirkebo

jkirkebo Model S P85+ VIN 14420 EU

I agree, silver+carbon grey wheels was not an attractive package, silver car should have the silver wheels. I am on the fence about white + dark wheels too, I think the dark wheels go better with the darker car colors. The best color combo for dark wheels is IMHO the blue, with the black car at second place and grey & green at third & fourth place.