Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help with Power Frunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was hoping I might get some ideas on this. 22MX, and I had the power frunk installed by a local guy who does this for all models. He was going to put on a hanshow version, but had problems with them so switched to using the smartesla version, which was installed on mine. Worked great for about two months, then, coincident with the cold snap here in az, it started to malfunction. When it 'popped' the frunk, it would not open, and I would get error beeps. it seemed as if the latch was still latched, even though the pop of opening was heard, and the frunk opened about an inch. you could not pull it up or open.

Made an appointment and went back to him after taking a video of the behavior. he contacted the supplier and was told the latch needed to be re-adjusted. this was done last week, and it worked flawlessly. we sat there for a half an hour opening and closing the frunk with no issues. Now after another week on the road, it is doing the same thing, maybe a little worse.

I reviewed the forums and have seen one other complaint about this happening, but the description does not sound exactly the same.

I have taken a new video, which I will share here, and have also sent it to the installer, but I am getting really frustrated with this.

Any ideas????

Thanks

Steve

I was hoping I might get some ideas on this. 22MX, and I had the power frunk installed by a local guy who does this for all models. He was going to put on a hanshow version, but had problems with them so switched to using the smartesla version, which was installed on mine. Worked great for about two months, then, coincident with the cold snap here in az, it started to malfunction. When it 'popped' the frunk, it would not open, and I would get error beeps. it seemed as if the latch was still latched, even though the pop of opening was heard, and the frunk opened about an inch. you could not pull it up or open.

Made an appointment and went back to him after taking a video of the behavior. he contacted the supplier and was told the latch needed to be re-adjusted. this was done last week, and it worked flawlessly. we sat there for a half an hour opening and closing the frunk with no issues. Now after another week on the road, it is doing the same thing, maybe a little worse.

I reviewed the forums and have seen one other complaint about this happening, but the description does not sound exactly the same.

I have taken a new video, which I will share here, and have also sent it to the installer, but I am getting really frustrated with this.

Any ideas????

Thanks

Steve

Who helped you? I recently purchased the Hansshow and am struggling to find the right tools to get the job done.

I have no experience with the Hansshow, but what are you having trouble with? The toollist is pretty straight forward.
I'm having trouble detaching the struts at the top. When I watch the videos, they all seem to have a bit more room to dislodge at the top. When I use a long screwdriver, the barrel keeps me from getting the right angle on it. I bought a prying tool, but it's not sharp enough to get in there. I ordered another one that has a small curve in it. Should arrive today. hopefully that will do the trick.

I'm pretty confident I can do the rest after this step. We will see.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks

I'm having trouble detaching the struts at the top. When I watch the videos, they all seem to have a bit more room to dislodge at the top. When I use a long screwdriver, the barrel keeps me from getting the right angle on it. I bought a prying tool, but it's not sharp enough to get in there. I ordered another one that has a small curve in it. Should arrive today. hopefully that will do the trick.

I'm pretty confident I can do the rest after this step. We will see.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks

That should be pretty simple, this is a video I put together for another car but the struts are the same.

Can also use a pick tool and just pop the whole metal clip off , then wiggle the hood and strut till it pops off. Once off pop the metal clip back on off the car on the work bench. That way you don’t have to coordinate the tool and pulling back the metal clip and pulling the strut all at the same time. Mine accidentally popped off when I was doing mine and it was much easier after that happened

Can also use a pick tool and just pop the whole metal clip off , then wiggle the hood and strut till it pops off. Once off pop the metal clip back on off the car on the work bench. That way you don’t have to coordinate the tool and pulling back the metal clip and pulling the strut all at the same time. Mine accidentally popped off when I was doing mine and it was much easier after that happened

Since the strut is too completely replacing the original you can just pop it off. Not a big deal

Reactions: CuriousM3
I have no experience with the Hansshow, but what are you having trouble with? The toollist is pretty straight forward.
Got everything installed and connected, but it's not working correctly. When I press the button or open it with the app (with the hood wide open), it make 2 double clicks and then nothing. The app registers it as opening, but then says it's closed in about 5 seconds.

Any thoughts?

Got everything installed and connected, but it's not working correctly. When I press the button or open it with the app (with the hood wide open), it make 2 double clicks and then nothing. The app registers it as opening, but then says it's closed in about 5 seconds.

Any thoughts?

Are the clicks coming from the latching system? Or from the electronic struts?

That clicking is the unlatching action, meaning the "latch" is already at the open position that is why the app/screen shows it already open.

Need to test two things - before "initializing" the control module.
Test if the system will unlatch.
Test if the system detects the hood is closed/latched.

I know yours is Hanshow but you should be able to follow Step #9 (Testing the system) on EVOffer install guide.