Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help with Power Frunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That clicking is the unlatching action, meaning the "latch" is already at the open position that is why the app/screen shows it already open.

Need to test two things - before "initializing" the control module.
Test if the system will unlatch.
Test if the system detects the hood is closed/latched.

I know yours is Hanshow but you should be able to follow Step #9 (Testing the system) on EVOffer install guide.

Thanks. The app actually shows it as closed, except for immediately after I either press the button or open it in the app. It then shows as closed again in a few seconds.

I will try this shortly.

I tried the Hansshow initialization, but it was unresponsive. It's supposed to start beeping after you've pressed the reset button, but it didn't.

Here's a more detailed look at the setup. More detail

What was the issue and fix?
I took apart the latch, thinking it was the issue. I found the cable had gotten wrapped around the outside somehow. I straightened it out, re-installed, and it worked fine.
1671813607266.png

• Informative
Reactions: RoBoRaT
I just installed my a few days ago. I had the same issue after installation where the frunk wouldnt close all the way. after a few tries I narrow it down to the rubber seal. When I put it back in I tucked it in wrong. So the rubber seal needs to be install first on the plastic tray before the inside piece goes in.

Meaning everything comes out of the control box. So if the box is powered on and everything is connected, it's not a power issue.
Putting everything back together. Just one wire I can't account for.

Where does this attach?
I took apart the latch, thinking it was the issue. I found the cable had gotten wrapped around the outside somehow. I straightened it out, re-installed, and it worked fine.
View attachment 888296
What was the issue and fix?
I'm having one more issue. The hood is over-closing on the driver's side. I have moved the latch up, down, left, right, left up, right down, vice-versa--every way I can think of, but it's still going on.

Anyone run into this? Any suggestions on adjusting it?

Adjust the driver side up or down buy twisting the rubber stopper to help with alignment, if it is aligned already , then not much more you can do. The model X front end has a lot of shims and spacer used to align so the fit an vary
Thanks. I messed around with it, but it didn't fix the problem.

I was able to adjust the latch and improve the problem, but it's not 100% fixed. Still about 20% of the problem left--maybe 3mm off on the driver's side.

Can you share photos of the hood opened/closed to have a better picture of the misalignment?

Is the hood deformed now showing as lower on one side 🤔.
How about the mounting (lower/upper) of the struts, are they even or with the right hardware?
The lighting is terrible, so I'm not sure you can see it.

With the frunk in, the hood bulges just a little on the driver's side near the wheel.

With the frunk removed, it over-closes on the driver's side by a couple of millimeters.

Attachments

• IMG_0177.jpeg
    IMG_0177.jpeg
    416.5 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0178.jpeg
    IMG_0178.jpeg
    282.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0179.jpeg
    IMG_0179.jpeg
    388.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0180.jpeg
    IMG_0180.jpeg
    264.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0181.jpeg
    IMG_0181.jpeg
    190.7 KB · Views: 45
The lighting is terrible, so I'm not sure you can see it.

With the frunk in, the hood bulges just a little on the driver's side near the wheel.

With the frunk removed, it over-closes on the driver's side by a couple of millimeters.
I see the gap, looks like the hood is bent.

Can't make it out if yours is a 3 or Y.
This is an X thread, BTW - but is all good tho.

I just installed (EVOffer Mark V Variant B) on a 2022 Model 3 last month, and I had to cut the frunk cover because it's blocking the strut as it move up/down. Is the Hanshow strut not obstructed by the cover?

Or, there is something lifting the frunk tub on the driver side, like if you placed the Control Unit under the frunk tube on the driver side....

Also, did you have to replace hardware to mount the struts - hopefully it's the correct hardware for your Model.

See attached, LH Driver Side on 2022 Model 3, and note the trimmed trim bottom of strut and the upper mount hardware provided by EVOffer.
20221230_151538.jpg

Last edited:
I see the gap, looks like the hood is bent.

Can't make it out if yours is a 3 or Y.
This is an X thread, BTW - but is all good tho.

I just installed (EVOffer Mark V Variant B) on a 2022 Model 3 last month, and I had to cut the frunk cover because it's blocking the strut as it move up/down. Is the Hanshow strut not obstructed by the cover?

Or, there is something lifting the frunk tub on the driver side, like if you placed the Control Unit under the frunk tube on the driver side....

Also, did you have to replace hardware to mount the struts - hopefully it's the correct hardware for your Model.

See attached, LH Driver Side on 2022 Model 3, and note the trimmed trim bottom of strut and the upper mount hardware provided by EVOffer.View attachment 890644

It’s a Model Y. I did buy the right struts from Hansshow. The struts are installed correctly.

I’m with you that there’s something pushing up from beneath.

Basically, the hood is just a little low before the tub and hood (2 pieces on the Y) are installed, just a little high after they’re installed. The controller is tucked out of the way, I continue to think if I get the latch completely right, everything will look good. I’m thinking I have to take the latch off again and make sure I’ve got it aligned correctly.

Thanks again for the help. I’ll let you know what I find.

Reactions: RoBoRaT