Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help with prepping for first car please

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First time buying a car and I'm soo excited it's a Tesla. Model 3 SR+ MSM exterior w/ white interior. Est Delivery Date Nov 29 - Dec 13, Southern California.

I want to be as educated as possible about my car. Can you all please recommend me what to buy for the car and what to read/watch so I know the in's and out's of the car? Or if there is an existing thread(s) on these topics please direct me to them.
I want to know which accessories are highly recommended/necessary such as a volt reader for the 12v battery, car mats, tire repair kit, etc. And I want to know all about efficiency, charging, range, common problems, etc. Links to websites would be much appreciated!

It's a bit overwhelming and confusing to go through this site for all this info, but I want to be prepared as possible. Thank you everyone in advance :).

Greetings and congratulations! I'm in almost the same boat, having ordered just two weeks ago (M3, AWD, Blue w/White). You might want to start with the videos on the Tesla app. They're short and digestible. Then, if you want, dive into the complete M3 Owner's Manual (also available online).

In terms of accessories, I've loaded up prior to delivery, but that's just the way I roll. Give yourself some time with the car and you'll determine what you want/need once you get a feel. There's really no rush.

One big thing I would recommend: Have your at-home charging plans implemented prior to delivery. I took delivery of my "gas station" (wall charger) yesterday, and having it installed today. Once that is done, I think I'm all set.

I plan on having the car for many years, so I'm giving myself permission to accessorize over time as the urge strikes me.

Congrats again! The wait is awful......

Kevin

Congrats! Read everything you can on this forum. Also, take the time to read the online owner's manual to familiarize yourself with the features and operations of your new car.

Model 3 Support Videos | Tesla

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_3_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf

Also poke around on www.plugshare.com and familiarize yourself with public charging stations in your area.

If you're planning to go on road trips, check out A Better Routeplanner to get detailed information on energy consumption, where to charge and how much it'll cost. You can also compare the cost to charge your new Model 3 to other vehicles like the Chevy Bolt, Audi E-Tron and more.

Reactions: itsRP
Last edited:
Greetings and congratulations! I'm in almost the same boat, having ordered just two weeks ago (M3, AWD, Blue w/White). You might want to start with the videos on the Tesla app. They're short and digestible. Then, if you want, dive into the complete M3 Owner's Manual (also available online).

In terms of accessories, I've loaded up prior to delivery, but that's just the way I roll. Give yourself some time with the car and you'll determine what you want/need once you get a feel. There's really no rush.

One big thing I would recommend: Have your at-home charging plans implemented prior to delivery. I took delivery of my "gas station" (wall charger) yesterday, and having it installed today. Once that is done, I think I'm all set.

I plan on having the car for many years, so I'm giving myself permission to accessorize over time as the urge strikes me.

Congrats again! The wait is awful......

Kevin

Thank you Kevin and congrats to you too! Something to look forward to after all the craziness this year has brought for everyone. I watched those videos before I placed my order! The simplicity and ease of features of the car made it so tempting to buy ASAP. After I test drove it I knew I had to have it hehe. I do have charging plans in mind and plan on calling an electrician soon. Can't wait to see everyone's posts with the new Model 3s :).

I agree with everything in Big Earl’s excellent post except the part about reading everything you can on this forum. Things you read on this forum can frighten you unnecessarily, as it is full of strongly placed opinions. I believe reading this forum is a good idea, but take things with a grain of salt until you have your new car.

• Love
Reactions: itsRP and Big Earl
First time buying a car and I'm soo excited it's a Tesla. Model 3 SR+ MSM exterior w/ white interior. Est Delivery Date Nov 29 - Dec 13, Southern California.

I want to be as educated as possible about my car. Can you all please recommend me what to buy for the car and what to read/watch so I know the in's and out's of the car? Or if there is an existing thread(s) on these topics please direct me to them.
I want to know which accessories are highly recommended/necessary such as a volt reader for the 12v battery, car mats, tire repair kit, etc. And I want to know all about efficiency, charging, range, common problems, etc. Links to websites would be much appreciated!

It's a bit overwhelming and confusing to go through this site for all this info, but I want to be prepared as possible. Thank you everyone in advance :).

I would read the manual more than once.

Reactions: itsRP
Congrats, itsRP! It's a really fun car, and I really feel the whole "waiting for delivery" excitement.

It's a good idea to have a checklist in hand when you go to pick up your car. Delivery-day problems seem to be pretty rare, but they do happen, and it's best to identify them right off the bat. Here's a thread from this forum. I used that checklist when I picked up my model 3, too.

Oh, and I'll chime in to say I agree that floormats (I got the ones from Tesla, they're good in wet Seattle), a tire repair kit, and 12V compressor are necessities.

I don't know if you've seen this, but if you have the standard 18" wheels you can pull off the aero hubcaps and fit little lug nut caps (Tesla sells them), and it gives your wheels a really nice, sporty look. Supposedly it reduces your range a little, but I haven't really noticed it.

Congrats, itsRP! It's a really fun car, and I really feel the whole "waiting for delivery" excitement.

It's a good idea to have a checklist in hand when you go to pick up your car. Delivery-day problems seem to be pretty rare, but they do happen, and it's best to identify them right off the bat. Here's a thread from this forum. I used that checklist when I picked up my model 3, too.

Oh, and I'll chime in to say I agree that floormats (I got the ones from Tesla, they're good in wet Seattle), a tire repair kit, and 12V compressor are necessities.

I don't know if you've seen this, but if you have the standard 18" wheels you can pull off the aero hubcaps and fit little lug nut caps (Tesla sells them), and it gives your wheels a really nice, sporty look. Supposedly it reduces your range a little, but I haven't really noticed it.
Thank you for the link to the thread! I will bring a checklist with me on delivery day, hopefully my excitement doesn't blind me from noticing any issues :eek:. Which repair kit do you have? And I think the new Aero hubcaps look good online, but maybe I'll change my mind once I see them in person. I'll keep the caps in mind!

Thank you for the link to the thread! I will bring a checklist with me on delivery day, hopefully my excitement doesn't blind me from noticing any issues :eek:. Which repair kit do you have? And I think the new Aero hubcaps look good online, but maybe I'll change my mind once I see them in person. I'll keep the caps in mind!

I ended up getting this repair kit based on someone else's recommendation on these forums. It seems pretty nice, though I haven't had to use it yet. I bought this compressor, too. They both live in the sub-trunk space as cheap peace of mind.

Reactions: DwightKSchrute