Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HELP with Roadster error...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would check the fan inside the PEM, see if it spins up?

A PEM reset seems to have cleared it and the Roadster is operating again as normal. Do you think it really is one of the phases getting too hot? Phase B seems like should definitely be located in the middle of the 3 phases, which is pretty much right where the fan is. We are going to give it some time and see if it comes back before popping the top off of the PEM and checking that fan but great idea!

Here's a link to an older thread. B is battery.

Vitals: What do those temperature bars mean?

In this case the error says Phase B, not simply "B"

I can only think it is Phase B of the 3 phases (A, B, C) of the PEM, possible the motor.

What would cause a single phase of a 3ph system to over-heat? Failed component, clogged cooling?

Does it sound like I'm on the right track or does anyone have reason to believe phase B has nothing to do with PEM?

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe I'm wrong, but this is what I was afraid of...

As you sold your Roadster, who's Roadster is this one?

What is it that you were afraid of? A phase B over-temp warning?

Make me think of a movie where the protagonist is concerned of the "critical error: Drive B" and he relates it to all his fears of the species that is the bee!!! (It's a Tom Arnold movie)

Buzz-buzz-buzz...

What is it that you were afraid of? A phase B over-temp warning?

Make me think of a movie where the protagonist is concerned of the "critical error: Drive B" and he relates it to all his fears of the species that is the bee!!! (It's a Tom Arnold movie)

Buzz-buzz-buzz...

I have to agree with TOBASH and you also didn't answer his question. I was curious too as who's this Roadster you're working on and thought this was a little odd. Its one thing if you had expert knowledge from a Tesla engineer who can technically back you up from multiple / hundreds of Roadsters that possibly had the same issue, but what your doing is going for a grab bag approach on the forum which you have to understand is not "guaranteed" and also could possibly damage a part if misdirected or carried out incorrectly.

If this is someone elses care who're paying for the work, I hope they clearly understand this and the risks associated with it.

I'm always down for others trying to help others in an honest, moral, and ethical way. But I'm not really sure if the owner of the car understands you don't have any experience with this.

If you had your salvaged car, dug into issues that are similar or could back you up to debug other Roadster problems that are similar in nature, I could justify that. But the way you're addressing the issue it appears you don't understand what's going on in there nor how to properly diagnose it.

But if the original owner clearly understands all of this, that's fine, and could possibly the case.

Last edited:
Can someone quote normal temperature ranges for City / Highway driving for Motor, PEM and B (whatever that is).

Here's a link to an older thread. B is battery.

Vitals: What do those temperature bars mean?

In this case the error says Phase B, not simply "B"

I can only think it is Phase B of the 3 phases (A, B, C) of the PEM, possible the motor.

It looks (to me) that djp was answering ibcs's question about "B (whatever that is)". In his context (the temp meters on the VDS), P=PEM, M=Motor, and B=Battery.

I don't think he was referring to your (OP) question/comment about the "Phase B".

I have to agree with TOBASH and you also didn't answer his question. I was curious too as who's this Roadster you're working on and thought this was a little odd. Its one thing if you had expert knowledge from a Tesla engineer who can technically back you up from multiple / hundreds of Roadsters that possibly had the same issue, but what your doing is going for a grab bag approach on the forum which you have to understand is not "guaranteed" and also could possibly damage a part if misdirected or carried out incorrectly.

If this is someone elses care who're paying for the work, I hope they clearly understand this and the risks associated with it.

I'm always down for others trying to help others in an honest, moral, and ethical way. But I'm not really sure if the owner of the car understands you don't have any experience with this.

If you had your salvaged car, dug into issues that are similar or could back you up to debug other Roadster problems that are similar in nature, I could justify that. But the way you're addressing the issue it appears you don't understand what's going on in there nor how to properly diagnose it.

But if the original owner clearly understands all of this, that's fine, and could possibly the case.

I appreciate your concerns, its amazing how quickly some people will rush to conclusions though. I, honestly, don't think that I owe you or TOBASH an explanation as to who's roadster this is and based on the impression I'm getting from y'all it certainly isn't in my best interest giving you any more information than necessary, it's clear you have a very negative outlook on me. I'm sure there are people out there who you would prefer to limit disclosure to based on experiences (albeit LIMITED) you've had with them.

I'm on the forum from the "collective of tesla owners", I would hope the information they provide is accurate and I think it is, what this means is that I can use this forum as a resource to gather information, I feel that is one of its intentions. If someone asked a question I knew the answer to and/or had an experience with, I'd share it objectively.

It seems that your mission may include some "policing" of the intentions and practices of others whom you don't agree with or perhaps simply threaten the way you believe things should be done. I'll assume you believe any issue with these cars should ultimately be solved and repaired by Tesla, perhaps you are "invested" in them and riding out the stock gains as a happy Tesla fanboy perhaps not, I don't know, but the world is a big place and there is room for different approaches and opinions.

Anyways, while I do appreciate you being a "concerned citizen" I also appreciate my privacy and autonomy, therefore I am choosing not to answer the "charged" (great EV-pun!!!) question yourself and TOBASH are concerned with.

PEM temp is 61C.

PEM intake ducting and heat-sink was cleaned last month.

When you had the error did it shut the car down or still driveable?

61C is exactly what I had then. You should also get limited power now.. You should clean the PEM better, as it still overheats.

Update: I had hundreds of Phase B errors prior to cleaning, some Phase A errors and a single Phase C error. I haven't seen them again after cleaning (> 10000 kms ago).

Even after pushing the car hard, I can't get the PEM temp over 40C, even on hot days.

attachment.php?attachmentid=88030&d=1437383009.jpg

Last edited:
I appreciate your concerns, its amazing how quickly some people will rush to conclusions though. I, honestly, don't think that I owe you or TOBASH an explanation as to who's roadster this is and based on the impression I'm getting from y'all it certainly isn't in my best interest giving you any more information than necessary, it's clear you have a very negative outlook on me. I'm sure there are people out there who you would prefer to limit disclosure to based on experiences (albeit LIMITED) you've had with them.

I'm on the forum from the "collective of tesla owners", I would hope the information they provide is accurate and I think it is, what this means is that I can use this forum as a resource to gather information, I feel that is one of its intentions. If someone asked a question I knew the answer to and/or had an experience with, I'd share it objectively.

It seems that your mission may include some "policing" of the intentions and practices of others whom you don't agree with or perhaps simply threaten the way you believe things should be done. I'll assume you believe any issue with these cars should ultimately be solved and repaired by Tesla, perhaps you are "invested" in them and riding out the stock gains as a happy Tesla fanboy perhaps not, I don't know, but the world is a big place and there is room for different approaches and opinions.

Anyways, while I do appreciate you being a "concerned citizen" I also appreciate my privacy and autonomy, therefore I am choosing not to answer the "charged" (great EV-pun!!!) question yourself and TOBASH are concerned with.
As a forum member, I'm happy to help any owner with any question or problem they may be having with their car. I'm less enthusiastic about helping someone who has complained about and sold their own car, yet seems to be charging someone else for their own expertise. Especially when their expertise seems to be coming here to ask questions.

61C is exactly what I had then. You should also get limited power now.. You should clean the PEM better, as it still overheats.

Update: I had hundreds of Phase B errors prior to cleaning, some Phase A errors and a single Phase C error. I haven't seen them again after cleaning (> 10000 kms ago).

Even after pushing the car hard, I can't get the PEM temp over 40C, even on hot days.

attachment.php?attachmentid=88030&d=1437383009.jpg

Awesome information, we will have to take a better look at how we can clean the PEM better and see if that fixes this! Thank you very much!

- - - Updated - - -

As a forum member, I'm happy to help any owner with any question or problem they may be having with their car. I'm less enthusiastic about helping someone who has complained about and sold their own car, yet seems to be charging someone else for their own expertise. Especially when their expertise seems to be coming here to ask questions.

Well, out of courtesy to your enthusiasm I'll just say this: I did not pose this question to the forum in an effort to use the information to provide service on any sort of "paid" arrangement, I'm literally just getting information for a friend. I hope I pass the "judgement" test...

There is no economic gain currently associated with me and this question...

Well, out of courtesy to your enthusiasm I'll just say this: I did not pose this question to the forum in an effort to use the information to provide service on any sort of "paid" arrangement, I'm literally just getting information for a friend. I hope I pass the "judgement" test...

There is no economic gain currently associated with me and this question...

Well, now hang on here. Your interests, and this thread, don't exist in a vacuum.

You've made it clear in this thread here that you (and your company) are trying to monetize 3rd party Roadster servicing (which I'm all for).

But, you're trying to gain Roadster service knowledge...which you will then use to charge customers...because of your expertise.

You're not "some Roadster owner" who's looking for help from the forum to troubleshoot a problem, and I think that's where some people are taking issue.

Remember, individual posts on TMC are of the opinion of the person posting. That is where the wealth of knowledge comes from. I am not trying to police nor threaten anyone as you have on your own drawn your own conclusion. My opinion is on-par with others, which I hope you can see, in the above responses and hence why I posted.

I agree with Habious, and for those points which we agree on, leaves me personally with an odd feeling just by the way you laid things out in time on this forum. You made some good points in some of your posts, but as others point out, it appears your all over the place in terms of your views and support of Tesla as well as openly helping others or just trying to make a financial gain by using someone elses vehicle as a test mule. And that's what people are wary of.

Its one thing to gain knowledge by using TMC as well as a knowledge sharing resource and then experiment on your a test mule, hopefully your own personal Roadster. And after learning over time, experiencing first hand a series of problems, issues, and cautionary steps with the Roadster, to move on once you have a firm background on the the problems and electrical make-up of the Roadster, to only then offer your service to others and charge them for it if you wish to do so (hopefully with protections in place for you & the customer). I personally have been approached many times by Roadster owners to work on their car, also suggested to open a shop to explicitly work on Roadsters. Even though I have good connections with Tesla engineers who would help me if needed, I will not do this. Reason being is that there is still far too much to understand about this car that I need to get a firm grip of and most of all I am not risking someone's hard earned invested money in a car they love all for myself who I consider to be a back yard mechanic (with a high tech background) to charge someone for non-expert service where I possibly can fry a $10k PEM, a $30k+ ESS and worse yet, possibly create an fire hazard that may endanger the occupants and hurt PR for the EV community. There are too many risks involved and for that, I'm happy to offer my advice as "advice", NOT "expert" knowledge which I believe you find people's advice to be on this forum. *And you have to get that straight.* Would you consider diagnosing an administering person who's very sick based upon knowledge you grabbed off an Internet forum, and charge them for it? Of course its a different scenario, but the point is that advice on the Internet is not "expert" advice. Some may come from experts, some may not, that's why you can't take "all" information from a forum as expert advice. Also to do this right and if you're charging people you should have insurance to cover any loss in case of an issue on your part if you indeed are charging for your service. If not, its far better to have Tesla work on your Roadster. Then you're covered in many ways and that is no doubt the better long-term deal for anyone looking to have work done on their Roadster.

I'm sure most of us here on TMC welcome a 3rd party who has expert knowledge offering their service to work on the Roadster as well as offer accessories. But looking at how many posts you've made on TMC, you haven't been on here all that long, and those of us who have been here longer have seen this type of thing come and go. Many people have lost money, had their expectations not met, and its turned out to be a loss for everyone.

So with our opinions and observations many members don't want to see a repeat of history nor see any other member get taken, hence why good forum members want to express their own opinion to clearly identify hidden risks that others may not see. And people need to identify this is not "policing" nor a "threat". Its looking out for the good of others who may not know. That's a different thing. Why? Because I would like others to do the same for me, so I understand all risks associated with my decisions before I commit to anything where financial or personal loss may occur.

Last edited: