Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help with Slacker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my password from tesla service today and changed the settings on my account. Nice to not have to worry about explicit content anymore. And my standard car now sounds like a premium audio car!!! Haha

I also noticed that it showed a gift subscription expiring in may 2017. I wonder if this is when we may get Spotify?

Reactions: msnow
I just got my credentials, and they asked me NOT to change them so they could still access troubleshooting if I needed it.
They told me same thing today. However what he said was don't change the password or user ID. Changing the settings was ok. Then Slacker said Tesla does not support the higher bit rate sound improvement. You can change it in the settings on slacker but what will come to the Tesla is the low bit rate (aka less quality) sound. So only real benefit is to turn off news and inappropriate content.

• Informative
Reactions: wesley888 and msnow
I've got a problem. I got my email/password from Tesla today and I *was* able to use that to log in to Slacker on my computer. But when I try to do the same from the car's screen, it just keeps spinning and never accepts the email/password. Assuming I punched in the correct email/password (I've triple-checked), anyone know what I need to do? Anyone have this problem?

Thanks,
Rob

Reactions: krazineurons
I've got a problem. I got my email/password from Tesla today and I *was* able to use that to log in to Slacker on my computer. But when I try to do the same from the car's screen, it just keeps spinning and never accepts the email/password. Assuming I punched in the correct email/password (I've triple-checked), anyone know what I need to do? Anyone have this problem?

Thanks,
Rob
That's the way it works now (since 8.0). You can test that it is syncing by adding a new favorite station or turning on the news banner from you computer and the changes should show up on the car.

I want to update this thread with some new info I've gotten out of Slacker about this issue. As of the 8.0 firmware, the "high bitrate stream" option moved to the Slacker login screen. BUT (and this is a major BUT), they have completely removed the stream quality option from all cars with the base audio system. Yes, Really. That's why some of us can't find it and others can.

I asked Slacker to pull log data from a period when I was listening in my car. I wanted to understand why my ears start bleeding every time I try to play Slacker in there. It was playing... AACv2 40kbps. Really. Ear-bleedingly bad. Like I-can't-get-through-an-entire-song bad.

Also, despite what some of us have been told, the web player's quality setting is in no way linked to the quality setting of the car. This is true of every playback app Slacker has. The stream format is actually a query parameter. The Android App, iPhone App and web app all set them independently and store the selected value in a place that is app-local. It can't possibly be shared between devices.

I encourage everyone who is upset by this info to email [email protected] to let them know. I've been trading emails with [email protected] for the past couple days about this and they've forwarded along the info, but more people complaining about this will probably help get them to undo the crippling of our audio stream. You might also email [email protected] and tell them about how bad the audio in your Tesla sounds. Eventually the message will get across.

In the mean time, anyone with the base audio package can use a phone app via bluetooth to play audio that doesn't make your ears bleed. That is until they decide to cripple our Bluetooth A2DP profile on us...

I want to update this thread with some new info I've gotten out of Slacker about this issue. As of the 8.0 firmware, the "high bitrate stream" option moved to the Slacker login screen. BUT (and this is a major BUT), they have completely removed the stream quality option from all cars with the base audio system. Yes, Really. That's why some of us can't find it and others can.

I asked Slacker to pull log data from a period when I was listening in my car. I wanted to understand why my ears start bleeding every time I try to play Slacker in there. It was playing... AACv2 40kbps. Really. Ear-bleedingly bad. Like I-can't-get-through-an-entire-song bad.

Also, despite what some of us have been told, the web player's quality setting is in no way linked to the quality setting of the car. This is true of every playback app Slacker has. The stream format is actually a query parameter. The Android App, iPhone App and web app all set them independently and store the selected value in a place that is app-local. It can't possibly be shared between devices.

I encourage everyone who is upset by this info to email [email protected] to let them know. I've been trading emails with [email protected] for the past couple days about this and they've forwarded along the info, but more people complaining about this will probably help get them to undo the crippling of our audio stream. You might also email [email protected] and tell them about how bad the audio in your Tesla sounds. Eventually the message will get across.

In the mean time, anyone with the base audio package can use a phone app via bluetooth to play audio that doesn't make your ears bleed. That is until they decide to cripple our Bluetooth A2DP profile on us...
We have been aware of this news since last October. Mine doesn't sound as bad as yours does though.

As of the 8.0 firmware that settings app was eliminated. When you go to the streaming tab in the media player there's a log out button at the bottom. Press it to log out and you will be offered the screen to enter your own account info. If you have the premium audio system you will also have an option for whether to enable the high quality audio stream too.

I do have the personal login area / button, but I was hoping that I could just hit logout and then see the option for High Quality Streaming. I do have Premium Audio but do not see that option anywhere.