Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help with solar upgrade decision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi. We own a house in the SF Bay Area that we rent out today, but had a 7 KW solar install done back in the 2005 timeframe with 36 panels that face almost due south with no trees in the way, perfect for a string inverter. A few years ago the Fronius inverter failed, and parts to replace it were unavailable. Replacing the inverter with a modern inverter required all new wiring to the panels and for the new inverter install to be code compliant, so we left the system offline until the time came for a roof replacement.

That time is coming near, and so we need to make a decision about what to do with solar. From what I understand, NEM 1.0 grandfathering expires in 20 yrs after install, so 2025, which is just around the corner. Is that correct?

I think we have 3 choices:

1) Install a system that is the same size as the system before, but requires many fewer panels and pretty cheap. Keep the NEM 1.0 until 2025, and then moves to NEM 2.0, is that correct? Or would it move to NEM 3.0 if the system were replaced with a same sized system today? Tesla installs only would do 4.8 KW correct?

2) Install a much bigger system, but that would now attach with NEM 3.0, which has pretty questionable economics.

3) Remove the panels, replace the roof, and no solar.

We could try and go with a solar roof instead of a typical roof, but it would seem that decision is based on the arbitrage of the price of replacing the roof and solar vs solar alone.

The utilities are paid by the renters, so the investment trade off is making the house more valuable, and could support additional rent increases if the utilities are reduced. We have a request to add an EV charger, so could take advantage of EV rates in the payback calculations.

Did I get my assumptions right? A cursory calculation argues for no solar given the circumstances, or maybe a small inexpensive system if NEM 2.0 were still in force in 2025.

Did I miss something?

Thanks everyone!

I don't think you can keep NEM1 if you replace that system. Any addition above 10% bumps you to NEM3 unless you get approval prior to April 14

I thought if you replaced the system with the same or less wattage, that no change in the NEM agreement was required. Are you saying that if the system breaks and is repaired with something else that it's like installing a new system?

I thought if you replaced the system with the same or less wattage, that no change in the NEM agreement was required. Are you saying that if the system breaks and is repaired with something else that it's like installing a new system?
Correct. You can fix broken equipment, as long as the system doesn't increase by the lesser of 10% or 1kW. If you put back less, then you are okay.

Reactions: CrazyRabbit
AC size of the inverter, since that's the limiting factor.
Technically, it is the CEC-AC rating of the system that matters for size calculation for "repair". CEC-AC is calculated by the total PTC DC rating of the panels times the inverter efficiency.
I asked for this specificity from PG&E because I wanted to re-panel my old micro-inverters with larger wattage panels and just forego the peak output. It doesn't work out with panels that are available today because the wattage is too high. The inverters can handle the larger wattage panels but I would have to take out some micros to have the CEC-AC total remain within the 1.0kW addition limit.