Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help with understanding charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am an owner of a Model Y for 3 months and have some questions about charging.

Today I went to a supercharger (I am based in Europe so they are CCS) and it would not charge my car, I was getting various errors like 'Communication Error' 'No electricity' and some others I have forgotten. I tried 4 different superchargers at the site but got the same issue on every one of them, other Tesla's came and went while I was there and had no Issue so it wasn't the chargers. I still had 29% charge so decided to drive to a non Tesla charger and the CCS plug on this charger also gave me the same errors as the supercharger. Luckily this charger also had the ability to use Type 2 so I got the supplied cable from my car and connected this and my car was able to charge at 11kw - 16Amp. I charged for a couple of hours and then continued on my trip, I then stopped at another Super charger as I still needed a charge to get home and this time it worked and I charged at usual Super charger speeds.
So firstly what would cause this issue with my charging on a CCS charger as it seemed to just fix itself.
Secondly when I was using the Type 2 charger it was rated at 22kw but I was only getting 11kw / 16Amps, is this because I am limited to a maximum of 11kw because of my car, at home on my Tesla 3rd gen wall charger I get 9kw at 23Amps (limited by electricity supply at my house). I don't understand why the Type 2 I used today is 11kw/16Amp but at home its 9kw/23Amp.
Any help on helping me understand this would be much appreciated

Supercharging bypasses the Tesla vehicle's on-board charging circuits. If you continue to experience an amperage limit when charging at Level 2 you should open service request with Tesla.

In the US the vehicle identification number is registered to the owner's Tesla account. There needs to be a valid credit card or debit card associated with the Tesla account to be able to use the Supercharger network. Not sure how the Supercharger network performs similar functions in Europe. (When you attempted to use the CCS charger how did you authorize payment?) When you stopped later at a different Supercharger and charged without issue perhaps the payment system was again online.

That other Tesla vehicles were able to charge may be due to their form of payment or if the Tesla vehicle is eligible for lifetime Supercharging. (This used to be the case for some Model S, Model X and Performance Model 3 vehicles in the US. Not sure if the free lifetime Supercharging was common in Europe.)

On the superchargers the only thing I can think of is no billing info. If the car charged later on it seems like the car is able to supercharge just fine. CCS connectors can be finicky too and if you try to connect them and it’s not perfectly seated with no pressure on the connector (e.g can barely reach) they will error out. Not a lot of experience with Tesla CCS chargers but having owned other EV I have had issues with CCS. You need to make sure the cable reaches without having to pull or stretch it otherwise it will error out.

On the charging speed with L2 that may have been a limit on the charger you were using. Many destination chargers and other lvel 2 chargers share a circuit between multiple chargers. So if you had a 60 amp circuit and three chargers each would be limited to 16 amps. If they are setup efficiently you should get the full 48 if none of the others are in use but some are hard limited.

Secondly when I was using the Type 2 charger it was rated at 22kw but I was only getting 11kw / 16Amps, is this because I am limited to a maximum of 11kw because of my car,
Yes, that is a limit of the onboard charger inside your car. Tesla hasn't sold cars with 22 kW chargers for several years now.
I don't understand why the Type 2 I used today is 11kw/16Amp but at home its 9kw/23Amp.
Your home one only supplies 9 kW then.