Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help with Winter Driving Tips for a New Model Y Owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mikevbf

Feb 11, 2012
vermont
My cousin just picked up her first Tesla, a MY long range today. To someone who is totally new to electric cars and Tesla's in cold winter conditions what would you add beyond what is already on the Tesla support page? For example, is there anything specific to having a heat pump which is not in this guide?

Winter Driving Tips

I would add the fact that there are significant benefits to being able to charge on 240v and that this should be a high priority to make available at home, if possible, especially in a cold climate. I think this detail is often not considered by new EV owners and many rely on what comes with the car before realizing the advantages.

The heat pump scavenges heat from the battery/motors, so it’s very beneficial to be able to precondition before departure in cold weather, which is best done on 240v power. Doing so can make a night and day difference in a matter of only 15 min.

Last edited:
You should watch the latest videos on YouTube that demonstrate what is going in terms of heat recovery and how the battery is used as thermal storage to further increase the heat pumps efficiency. As long as the battery temps stay above a certain threshold, the heat pump will scavenge heat from it.

edit: this was a reply to a message that appears to have been deleted. FYI :rolleyes:

My cousin just picked up her first Tesla, a MY long range today. To someone who is totally new to electric cars and Tesla's in cold winter conditions what would you add beyond what is already on the Tesla support page? For example, is there anything specific to having a heat pump which is not in this guide?

Winter Driving Tips
The most important consideration is the tires. The all-season tires that come with the Model Y 19" wheels (Continental) and 20" (Goodyear) do not provide adequate traction on untreated roads, when driving on snow and ice. If she lives in VT your cousin should purchase a set of winter tires.

Last edited:
Winter in Québec....Model Y needs a rear window wiper and a much stronger defrost mode on that window, needs heating wipers since no heat from motor to keep ice from accumulating on them and better battery technology for the cold. I lose half my distance in the winter i.e. to drive 100k in distance I use 200k of battery distance from -7C and down. Mud flaps are a must I had those installed from Bolduc in Québec city

The most important consideration is the tires. The all-season tires that come with the Model Y 19" wheels (Continental) and 20" (Goodyear) do not provide adequate traction on untreated roads, when driving on snow and ice. If she lives in VT your cousin should purchase a set of winter tires.

^^^This^^^ — Winter tires are key in an environment like VT.

Reactions: 2101Guy
i second a 240v connection at home. 110 is fine in warm weather and when you are basically doing an average of no more than about 30 miles a day driving. 110 in warm temps gets you about 4-5 miles for every hour of charge.

Ive been using 240v 14-50 using my mobile charger for 13 months now. Gets about 21 or so miles for each hour of charge, which is beyond more than what I need. I rarely take road trips and when I do, its to a close friends (overnight trip)who is less than a full charge away and is a Tesla owner with a mobile connector at his home. Other road trips are in directions where multiple SC stations are along the way, and even near my destinations. Ive literally never removed my mobile charger from my wall since I bought the car.

Its all about your needs

Last edited: