Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help- Y keeps failing- what to do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking for an ideas what to do with that thing (some calling it a car).

I used to love Tesla, so decided to get the Y PUP, and not that I couldn’t wait, but wanted to support Tesla when the factory shuts down last March, so my car is from the first 1,500 Y’s.

I have about 8k miles at this point, and replaced about half of the car yet:
Roof was replaced
Headlight was replaced
Control module was replaced
Yesterday the car stopped working, control module has to be replaced again
Lots of small things that didn’t bother me as much.

At this point, I am not sure if Tesla is still in a concept stage or what. I don’t think there is another car in the market with so many issues ( and I had a Ranger rover before).

Any suggestions guys?

• Funny
Reactions: InternetDude
These posts asking "what to do?" really confuse me, because what is an internet forum supposed to suggest? Your options are the same ones you would have with any other car...

1. Keep taking it to get fixed
2. Sell it
3. If there are enough repairs or days in service for lemon law in your state, you can pursue that.

Thats it, those are the choices. Your description does not sound like "1/2 the car" but I also guess that you are just ranting, with that. You dont say why the roof or headlight needed to be replaced. They could be warranty issues, or damage from debris. A roof, a headlight, and a control module is no where near as many repairs as your average range rover, or BMW 550, or alpha romero, etc.

Sure, you are upset. Your options are as I said above. Keep getting it repaired, sell it, or, if you hit your states lemon law repair threshholds, pursue that.

Depends how you like your Model Y.
I was in the same boat when I bought 2 gen Honda Ridgeline and became an early adopter.
Dealer was fixing the same issue for the first 2 months I was driving it. I was in a shop pretty much every week.
Eventually I submitted a claim to Honda siting MD law:

"Maryland’s “lemon law," CL §14-1501 through 14-1503, identifies three situations when the manufacturer must replace or repurchase the vehicle:
  • The same problem has been repaired 4 or more times during the vehicle’s warranty period (24 months or 18,000 miles); or,
  • The vehicle could not be used for 30 days or more during its warranty period (24 months or 18,000 miles) because of a problem; or,
  • A problem with the braking or steering system has been repaired at least once during the warranty period (24 months or 18,000 miles) but the vehicle still does not meet Maryland’s safety inspection laws."
Surprisingly Honda responded, they didn't want to buy my truck or replace it with new one, but they offered me 120k warranty with 0 deductibles.
Except for that initial headache I had only couple more minor issues owning the car till the day I bought MY. And those issues were covered by regular warranty.

I would say stick with it. Tesla should be able to fix it.

Surprisingly Honda responded, they didn't want to buy my truck or replace it with new one, but they offered me 120k warranty with 0 deductibles.
That's Honda's response for everything. I had two Acura TLs, that had a flawed transmission design, that they were even sued over... Their response was to have a 120k mile warranty... Which doesn't really do much, if you have to have your transmission replaced 3 times before the car even reaches 100k miles. And this was on both TLs, from two different generations. Honda eventually ditched the 5 speed automatic because of its flawed design that liked to roast clutch packs... Decided to give them one last shot with our MDX, which used a newer/different transmission design... Transmission has been flawless... The engine on the other hand, needed replacing, becuase yet another design flaw, that they again were sued over, and their response was again, another 120k mile warranty. So with our new Y, as long I don't have to replace the battery pack or drive unit several times within the first 100k miles, I'll consider it an improvement over my Acuras, lol.

Reactions: zpaul
That's Honda's response for everything. I had two Acura TLs, that had a flawed transmission design, that they were even sued over... Their response was to have a 120k mile warranty... Which doesn't really do much, if you have to have your transmission replaced 3 times before the car even reaches 100k miles. And this was on both TLs, from two different generations. Honda eventually ditched the 5 speed automatic because of its flawed design that liked to roast clutch packs... Decided to give them one last shot with our MDX, which used a newer/different transmission design... Transmission has been flawless... The engine on the other hand, needed replacing, becuase yet another design flaw, that they again were sued over, and their response was again, another 120k mile warranty. So with our new Y, as long I don't have to replace the battery pack or drive unit several times within the first 100k miles, I'll consider it an improvement over my Acuras, lol.
I know exactly what you are talking about. My wife had MDX with transmission problems, but dealer couldn't replicate the it :confused:
Another classic response.
Was looking at new TL as an option, but research guaranteed a headache for sure. Very happy ended up with MY :)

I know exactly what you are talking about. My wife had MDX with transmission problems, but dealer couldn't replicate the it :confused:
Another classic response.
Was looking at new TL as an option, but research guaranteed a headache for sure. Very happy ended up with MY :)
When our first TL had it's first bout of transmission problems, the SA told my wife they never heard of such issues, and that they think she may have abused the transmission.... I took the car into the service department... When I stepped out of the car, the SA told me it was a known issue of this transmission, and they would replace the transmission under warranty...

Reactions: zpaul
WOW, all my Honda's and TL's were bulletproof, surprised to hear of so many issues. Just gave my 15 year old Honda Fit (bought it sight unseen when they just came out) to my son. 98K, perfect paint, replaced a fuel pump at around 70K and lower control arms (cracked rubber bushings) and an antilock brake module in the last 6 months. But I digress......

WOW, all my Honda's and TL's were bulletproof, surprised to hear of so many issues. Just gave my 15 year old Honda Fit (bought it sight unseen when they just came out) to my son. 98K, perfect paint, replaced a fuel pump at around 70K and lower control arms (cracked rubber bushings) and an antilock brake module in the last 6 months. But I digress......
The transmission issue was specific for the 5AT with the J32 V6 engine.. Specifically with the 3rd gear clutch pack. The design caused the clutch pack to drag during a 3-2 downshift. Had something to do with the design of one of the oil passages, that caused the fluid pressure to be too low or something, which caused the 3rd gear clutch pack to drag when 2nd gear is engaged. Which over time, causes a catastrophic failure of the transmission. No amount of babying it would do anything. I did a 1x3 fluid change every oil change, and I even changed the 2nd and 3rd gear pressure switches every 20k miles, like everyone else on the TL boards, but it didn't help. My first TL nuked it first transmission with only 27k miles on the clock. My 2nd TL nuked it's transmission at 35k miles.. (I drive about 30k miles per year). I have 2 coworkers with TLs as well, and they both needed 2 transmissions each on their TLs. Honda issued a recall to try to rectify the issue, but it was an auxialliary oil jet on the 2nd gear clutch pack, so it didn't really help, since it was the 3rd gear clutch pack that always failed. (Both my TLs already had the recall performed before the first failure)

The engine issue, was specific to the J37 V6 in the TL Type-S and the MDX, where it would burn oil like a monster. Like literally it would burn a quart every 1,000 miles.. Again, Honda was sued, and it was determined it was a flaw in the design of the longblock or something like that. Honda offered a 120k mile warranty, but if you plan on keeping your car, it won't help, because all they will do is replace the long block... It will fix the oil burning issue, but it will come back after 30k miles or so... When I originally brought the MDX in, they tried telling me that burning 1qt every 1k miles was normal. It wasn't until after the class action lawsuit, that they agreed to replace the longblock.

maybe not with that extensive service history
Right. I doubt if Tesla would buy it without a legal action. So, I took the car from service, got home, and the car didn’t lock itself. Next thing you know the car hard reset itself, I mean hard reset- all of the information, and settings are gone. I took a video of the car showing me that my location is at Tesla’s HQ, and I promise you I don’t live there. It’sa bad joke- I took it to my local service, and Tesla confirmed- don’t worry the hard reset is a bug that we know about. As I said Tesla is a bad joke. I’m gonna take it to the right people in Tesla, and they will have to make a decision whether they need a really bad PR right now, or to address it.

I took a video of the car showing me that my location is at Tesla’s HQ, and I promise you I don’t live there. It’sa bad joke- I took it to my local service, and Tesla confirmed- don’t worry the hard reset is a bug that we know about. As I said Tesla is a bad joke. I’m gonna take it to the right people in Tesla, and they will have to make a decision whether they need a really bad PR right now, or to address it.
You need to get out of garage and drive it around and it will find you location.
Feel sorry for your experience.
The only issues I had in 3400 miles:
- adjusted bumps on rear hatch, since I felt a bit of ear pressure occasionally, BTW switching to 19 from 21 also helped to mitigate that effect
- lost FM radio, scheduled appointment with Tesla and technician called me 2 days before appointment and helped me to to the reset

That was it. And I am enjoying MY a lot!
BTW I read forum and all the issues that people having and even got my check list for delivery, but the day of delivery decided not to use it.
Panels aligning is probably 90% acceptable, but so it was on my Ridgeline. Honda was unable to realign driver's door, so I was staring at it daily for 5 years.

You need to get out of garage and drive it around and it will find you location.
Feel sorry for your experience.
The only issues I had in 3400 miles:
- adjusted bumps on rear hatch, since I felt a bit of ear pressure occasionally, BTW switching to 19 from 21 also helped to mitigate that effect
- lost FM radio, scheduled appointment with Tesla and technician called me 2 days before appointment and helped me to to the reset

That was it. And I am enjoying MY a lot!
BTW I read forum and all the issues that people having and even got my check list for delivery, but the day of delivery decided not to use it.
Panels aligning is probably 90% acceptable, but so it was on my Ridgeline. Honda was unable to realign driver's door, so I was staring at it daily for 5 years.
If I could only drive!

Attachments

• 88C215C5-7644-4D28-8FA4-FC54493F6802.jpeg
    88C215C5-7644-4D28-8FA4-FC54493F6802.jpeg
    350.5 KB · Views: 52
  • 8E78E4B4-8A43-4555-B248-02E6DB03D517.jpeg
    8E78E4B4-8A43-4555-B248-02E6DB03D517.jpeg
    786.9 KB · Views: 42