Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Helped A Friend Order A Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A friend of mine was in need of a new car, and had been doing a lot of research on plug in/electric cars.

His list included - Prius Prime, Chevy Volt, Chevy Bolt, Model 3, Honda Clarity, and cheap used cars.

Honda Clarity was first eliminated, too expensive compared to others. He called it a Plug in Accord that's overpriced.
Then Prius Prime was gone after a test drive, he couldn't bear the thought of me flying pass him in a model 3 while he slows accelerates - turtle style.
Then Bolt was eliminated, while he liked the Bolt's drive and regen, it looked funny and smaller (length and width) compared to model 3. The difference between Bolt and model 3 was only $2000, wasn't a hard sell.
The toughest one was the volt. I truly believe that if Volt was not discontinued and he could get it at the quoted price, he might have went for it. His last car lasted more than 10 years, he wanted his new car to last for as long as possible. The Volt getting discontinued didn't sit well with him on car repairs down the road. A fully loaded volt was quoted around 28k including all fees except tax and it qualified for virtually all state and federal tax credit similar to model 3. the dollar amount was close to 8k.
Model 3, I let him used my car for a test drive and the rest is history. I did explain the positives and negatives of owning a Tesla. Positives - no gas, free charging at work, low maintenance, great handling/ride, great looking car, cooks virtually all non-electric cars from stop.
negatives - new and more expensive tires in 15k~30k miles, certainly a lot sooner compared to his previous car. rough ride,

It took him 2 weeks to decide, and now his delivery is scheduled for this coming Monday. He bought SR, everything standard, 35,400.

I believe we shouldn't try to convince people Tesla is a better car, let people experience it first and compare with other cars on the road. Everyone's situation is different, let them evaluate all options, all we can do is simply share our experience and the facts.

Good thing you helped him because he would have been miserable in all those other car compared to the Model 3. :) An M3 at 35K even SR is light years ahead of everything else at this point. Maybe in 3-5 years from now that will change but for anyone in the market for an EV right now this should be an easy decision.

Good thing you helped him because he would have been miserable in all those other car compared to the Model 3. :) An M3 at 35K even SR is light years ahead of everything else at this point. Maybe in 3-5 years from now that will change but for anyone in the market for an EV right now this should be an easy decision.

Only miserable part about my Volt was going to fill up at the gas station every 2 months or so

Only miserable part about my Volt was going to fill up at the gas station every 2 months or so

Yeah, the Volt was actually a pretty good car but you can't really create the market shift to EVs when you have just one boring looking car in the lineup. Once Tesla gets the Y and the pickup truck in production then forget it. The EV tipping point is not that far away and if you are an automaker without an EV lineup in the works you are screwed. Everyone who drives or rides in a Tesla immediately starts thinking about how they can buy one right now.