Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Helpful info for those considering trading in Tesla Model 3 for a Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, everyone,

I have a 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, and I am going to upgrade to the Performance version.

Manufacture date 2/2018
Silver
6,500 miles
All options except Enhanced Autopilot and FSD.

I received an offer from Vroom for $47,000, and am waiting for givemethevin.com for a quote.

I spoke with Tesla regarding trading in the vehicle and matching outside offers, and I was surprised to learn that they will only match offers for NON-Tesla vehicles for trade-in. In other words, if you are trading in a Tesla to Tesla for a Tesla, no price match!

Very disappointing, as Tesla matched an outside offer for my BMW i8 that I previously traded in to them.

I will likely sell to the third party and buy new from Tesla, but unfortunately will not benefit from the sales tax savings for trading in a vehicle.

Just thought it would be helpful info for you all!

Just had a similar experience. I’m interested in trading my 2013 MS for a new one. My car has lower than average miles and is in very near flawless condition. Tesla’s trade offer was $5,200 below Kelly trade value. That’s only 86% of the Kelly listed value.

And just to add insult I was told that if I wanted to trade my Chevy Bolt instead they would give me full Kelly trade value for it! “So my Bolt holds its value better than a Tesla?” I asked. Tesla rep just looked down and mumbled something.

Hi, everyone,

I have a 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, and I am going to upgrade to the Performance version.

Manufacture date 2/2018
Silver
6,500 miles
All options except Enhanced Autopilot and FSD.

I received an offer from Vroom for $47,000, and am waiting for givemethevin.com for a quote.

I spoke with Tesla regarding trading in the vehicle and matching outside offers, and I was surprised to learn that they will only match offers for NON-Tesla vehicles for trade-in. In other words, if you are trading in a Tesla to Tesla for a Tesla, no price match!

Very disappointing, as Tesla matched an outside offer for my BMW i8 that I previously traded in to them.

I will likely sell to the third party and buy new from Tesla, but unfortunately will not benefit from the sales tax savings for trading in a vehicle.

Just thought it would be helpful info for you all!
What did Tesla offer you?

Ha, I have an answer for you guys! I just received an offer from Tesla for my 2018 M3 LR. I was offered $43,000 to trade up to a performance M3. Not worth it. But, I understand they have to resell it.

I will either wait a year to trade it in, or wait to trade up to a Y if they look like a good option.

Matt

Where did the $51k come from ? I paid that amount, but without upgrades that could have pushed the car up to ~ $60k.

OP said all options other than EAD. When you configure as he says his is built it comes in at around $52K. Back when he bought it the price would have been closer to $51K. Personally, if Vroom is offering $47K I'd take it. Money in the pocket today instead of a year from now.

Reactions: S'toon
OP said all options other than EAD. When you configure as he says his is built it comes in at around $52K. Back when he bought it the price would have been closer to $51K. Personally, if Vroom is offering $47K I'd take it. Money in the pocket today instead of a year from now.
If tchaimd had gotten a match from Tesla it'd be great (thought not quite as good as you suggest). They'd save $2820 in sales tax on the Performance trading that way (recouping from the original cost), which you don't get if you sell it separately to a 3rd party.