Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HEPA Air filter for everyone...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just to let Model X Owners know that although you did not take the HEPA Air filter option, it seems everyone can just add the filter in the box located at the back of the frunk...

Photo 17-11-2016 07 12 53.jpg
Photo 17-11-2016 07 13 22.jpg

Interesting. So it looks like the 12V battery jump point is there on the upper left. Did you see where the 12V battery itself was? Did you see anything about the secondary filter location, with the activated carbon filters? (guessing it's on the right side of the car/left side of the image behind the HEPA housing.)

Interesting. So it looks like the 12V battery jump point is there on the upper left. Did you see where the 12V battery itself was? )

Not the op, but I located the 12V battery in this post. From the OPs picture, you can see the primary fuse box in front of the driver. The 12V battery is just to the left of it, at the center of the vehicle, behind the HEPA filter box. 12V jump point is on the front of the fuse box with the ground being any exposed bolt.

Reactions: Saghost
Without the software for biodefense mode will the hepa still work?

Somewhat. As you can see, all cabin air runs through the filter, and you'd still get that. Don't forget that there are a pair of activated carbon filter layers in another location on Bioweapon cars that you'd need to locate and install as well.

All bioweapon mode does is crank the fan way up and switch to all outside air (and possibly close down the cabin exhaust outlets? Just speculation on my part,) to generate a slight positive pressure inside the cabin so it pushes air out through the seals rather than allowing it to drift in.

The mode is helpful as a quick button, but you could do a decent job of simulating it with manual selections - if you have all the filters in place.

Thanks for the advice! I didn't opt for premium and is only regretting not having the filters. Exhaust fumes on SoCal freeways are really bad. Lots of 15+ age cars on the road spewing the smog. I will try installing the hepa.

Thanks for the advice! I didn't opt for premium and is only regretting not having the filters. Exhaust fumes on SoCal freeways are really bad. Lots of 15+ age cars on the road spewing the smog. I will try installing the hepa.

Also didn't purchase PUP with the HEPA being my only concern. Did this work out for you?

Cool. No reason to look for more problems . I plan on at least waiting for the original stock filter to be replaced before potentially purchasing. My down the road concern is if the part is ordered but requires a SC install and then they say can't install the HEPA because it's non PUP. Hope you are enjoying we are very happy with our MX.

Wow, this is really cool, thanks for the info on this, I definitely want install a HEPA filter in the opening. Can you post some pictures or video on how you removed the frunk assembly to expose the filter opening?

Do you have to order the HEPA filter from Tesla?

Just because you can put a filter in there doesn't mean you can use it. (Does it pull air through that area without turning on the software biohazard filtering mode?)

I don't know what a non PUP car does, but outside air is normally pulled through the filters by HEPA equipped cars without turning on Bioweapon mode.

Just yesterday I was surprised by the smells at Asheville supercharger - I hadn't smelled anything at all until I got out of the car to discover a fairly strong fertilizer odor, and I was running in full auto at a fairly low temperature with a resulting slow fan speed.

I'm pretty sure the only thing selecting Bioweapon mode does is go to all outside air at high fan speeds to generate the positive pressure (still not sure if it does anything to the normal cabin exhaust vents at the rear of the car to help build pressure.)

I'm pretty sure the only thing selecting Bioweapon mode does is go to all outside air at high fan speeds to generate the positive pressure (still not sure if it does anything to the normal cabin exhaust vents at the rear of the car to help build pressure.)
I was thinking the same, but the instructions to the car indicate otherwise, stating that HEPA is enabled when BioHazard is pressed.

Just because you can put a filter in there doesn't mean you can use it. (Does it pull air through that area without turning on the software biohazard filtering mode?)

I haven't pulled out the front trunk to take a look to verify with OPs pictures. However, if the normal nonPUP filter is located in the same slot I would assume you could just replace with a HEPA filter which would function in the same way as the normal filter. Obviously not BH but potentially better than nonPUP stock.

Some additional assumptions are being able to purchase and install the HEPA on its own without a required SC install and that there is no difference in the filter dimensions, air flow rate, or effect on replacement sensors all of which I feel could potentially mess with the air system and/or software.

I have an MX60d non-pup, just delivered 3 weeks ago. As I don't have a HEPA filter, I do have to say the car's "auto" mode does a good job of keeping the air pretty clean smelling. I leave it in auto mode so I'm not sure if it just uses a lot of recirculation, which is what I had to do in our old cars. Not sure if anyone else feels the same way, but I don't feel like I get any smog or smoke smells wafting into my car. Or, maybe the new car smell is just masking it all...?