TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

HEPA Air filter for everyone...

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by Axmann Philippe, Dec 2, 2016.

1. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Supporting Member

Agreed. I can even drive past the paper mill in my X without choking.:)

2. Jrogville

Jrogville Member

For the mechanically challenged, I read in another thread that the SC can install the HEPA filter aftermarket for $200. Asking the poster for more info on who he talked to. Don't know if that's the filter cost, or installed. For that price, I'm interested.

3. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

That is the price for the filter by itself. (But Tesla might not even sell it to you if you don't have a PUP VIN.)

4. Bishop

Bishop Member

i never said anything about installing it ... that was the price of the filter itself.

5. MXWing

MXWing Well-Known Member

This is why we need a mule. I'm offering a PUP holder a case of beer to go into the SC and buy a filter.

Wonder if the SoCal Service Centers will question when the same individual buys 20 HEPA filters in a month. :D

6. Bishop

Bishop Member

im going to do it and i dont need a case of beer im just seeing if i can actually take part the frunk 1st

• Like x 1
  7. Solarman004

Solarman004 Member

@Bishop could you please chronicle the frunk disassembly with some photos? I'd like to see how it's done. It looks like the inner liner removal is also necessary to replace the 12 V battery. Thanks!

• Like x 1
  8. Spidy

Spidy Active Member

• Informative x 4
    • Like x 1
  9. namluu

namluu Member

10. Bishop

Bishop Member

wait what .. HELL YA i'd do that i got an appt monday

but this kind of proves the point if all there going is adding a filter and turning on bio defense.... the filters only 200 bucks..

11. namluu

namluu Member

Did you learn anything at your appointment?

12. Bishop

Bishop Member

Ohh i replied to the other thread .. actually yes i did .

between the time i set my appt and the time i showed up tesla release the bio defense upgrade. so that 200 dollar filter was no longer an option. however after having it installed its just glued in and then they switch the option on. all of which can be done outside of tesla.

• Like x 1
  13. Solarman004

Solarman004 Member

@Bishop , did you happen to observe the process for removing the frunk "tub" to get to the filter? If so, could you please provide a description?
    Thank you.

14. Bishop

Bishop Member

i didnt but after talking with him its sounds pretty simple remove plastic clips unbolt tub

15. namluu

namluu Member

Found the other thread, thanks!

16. jmonma

jmonma New Member

I stopped by a service center today, and innocently wandered into the repair area. I asked one of the guys about the HEPA filter, for all us non-PUP folks, and he said it is one of their most constrained parts, and that they would likely offer it for install once the part was more readily available.

This appears to be confirmation that Tesla isn't artificially preventing us from ordering the filter to boost PUP sales. He said to expect it to be available for individual purchase in the near future, pending availability. (First post to the forums, FYI!)

• Informative x 4
    • Like x 3
  17. MXWing

MXWing Well-Known Member

Thanks for the informative first post! I would like to be optimistic for the future on this but it seems hard to believe that they could be supply constrained on such a simple part?

18. jmonma

jmonma New Member

I'm hopeful because:
    A) my showroom/sales person didn't try to sell me _at all_ on PUP, he actually down-sold it
    B) he said he had noticed that HEPA came and went, and was also curious to inquire about it.
    C) the service guy seemed comfortable with the idea of installing the HEPA for me, and his only hesitation was the fact that the filter itself was in short supply. He emphasized that it was one of the most limited parts, and it didn't feel like a line he'd had to serve before (it's a new service center too).

Here's hoping! I don't even get my X for another couple weeks, but this sort of investigation bides the time well!

• Informative x 1
  19. BeardedBro

BeardedBro Member

Thanks for the info, and welcome to the fam!

20. Terthen

Terthen Member

Thanks for the post, that gives me hope! I've been tempted daily to tweet Elon to ask but figure he has better things to worry about. I'm still checking like every other day for itt o show up. Will post here if it does, and of course order immediately...