TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

HEPA Air filter for everyone...

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by Axmann Philippe, Dec 2, 2016.

1. MXWing

MXWing Well-Known Member

You mean order first and then post. :D

I think everyone deserves access to the hepa and I hope the cynic in me is wrong where I think it was taken off so PUP sales aren't blocked.

Add a HUD to the PUP that will ensure that option gets picked up. :)

2. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Very interesting... that puts paid to the idea we've all been repeating that they killed it because of the PUP Profits. :) Still can't see what's so rare about any part of the assembly....

Thanks for the info, and welcome!

3. Stasla

Stasla Member

Well I asked about this during my last service visit and brought along an aftermarket filter I picked up on eBay - in case the OEM was out of stock. They wouldn't touch the aftermarket filter with a 10-ft pole, but said will ask about the retrofit with an OEM part. Lo and behold, later I was told that "engineering" said it's a firm "no" at this time even though it was available in the past. Wish I pulled the trigger while it was briefly available on the site... before it went out of stock.

4. Terthen

Terthen Member

There is a thread on the Model S side where those owners are having better luck. I am going to call my SC and just ask for the OEM part with plan to install myself. Alternatively, I am going to buy a filter from FilterBuy and install it myself. They have a MERV13 filter which I guess isn't quite HEPA but seems quite good, and can make custom size for model x (will need to confirm but another owner said 12" x 40.25" x 1") for about $33 shipped. The other owner used double-sided tape to secure it. Anyone who got the retrofit know if there was some sort of housing the filter came in that can be installed as a whole piece, or do they just glue the filter in place?

5. jtg

jtg Member

Can anyone confirm the model X filter is 12" x 40.25" x 1" ?? Thanks.

6. mattack4000

mattack4000 Active Member

40 3/8 and 12 1/4 is what I got

7. MIT_S60

MIT_S60 Member

Don't ask the Service Department. You need to ask the Parts Department and order the part directly. It's a super simple install.

8. Stasla

Stasla Member

Yeah, I was trying to get the software updated to enable the Bioweapon setting. Got the 3rd party filter off eBay already - just didn't get around to installing it yet.

9. MXWing

MXWing Well-Known Member

I think the biodefense setting is just a shortcut to high fan settings?

10. jtg

jtg Member

Mattack4000, thank you!

11. DriverOne

DriverOne Supporting Member

I'd love to understand this better. My SC told me air only goes through the HEPA filter when Biomode is on. Since the high fan setting is far from silent, I'd be happy to know that with the HEPA installed, all incoming air goes through it.

12. mattack4000

Yes that's the only hole....

13. Terthen

Terthen Member

I think most people here think it does. Several members have reported improvement from smells and things like that from areas that typically smell terrible when they drive by after installation of the filter. My SC told me non-pup cars don't have the right ducts for this, but given how do many SCs install these for other customers this just can't be true. So I bought the filter and installed myself... I'll open things up in a couple more the to see how things look. There was another member who put in a 3rd party filter and it tore in a seam, so I'm guessing some air flow through the filter has to be th cause of that?

14. mattack4000

You need to push a lot of air through to create the air pressure to push the cabin air out fast and replace with fresh air, hence it is effective at high speed. At low speed it will still push air in, the old air just won’t come out as fast

15. mattack4000

I found a MERV13 filter that should fit for less than $15 each (need to buy six). Since I upgraded mine and I have the old casing in the garage, you guys are welcome to try it if you want to see if it will work. It beats paying $175 to Tesla

16. Roger515

Roger515 New Member

Where did you bought the filter? and do you have some pictures of the installed filter? thx

• Like x 1
  17. pkodali

pkodali Banned

Did we ever get confirmation about where the activated carbon is?