Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HEPA filter for Model 3!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I decided to do a little test with a handheld air quality / particle sensor and the Model 3's air filter system. (Sorta like this one done with the Model X and its "biodefense mode".)

With the PM2.5 sensor reading 150 ug/m^3 (unhealthy) this afternoon in the San Jose area (due to smoke from the Camp fire (Paradise, CA)), I found that the Model 3's air filter would bring things down to the 20's in the cabin in just a few minutes when recycle was turned on.

Later, I stopped and made a video to record it falling from 135 to 5 ug/m^3 in less than 10 minutes. It climbed back up to the 80's pretty quickly though when I turned off recycle air and let it bring in fresh air.

Much thanks, seat of the pants feeling was that it was helping.

but if it climbed back to the 80s, then not sure how great that is (but going from 135 to 80 is of course helpful and don't have another comparison).

I believe he said it climbed back to the 80s after he turned off recycle and brought in "fresh" air. Doesn't seem that bad if you can keep it on recycle most of the time and just let some new air in occasionally.

Last edited:
This is really helpful, thanks! Really appreciate you did this, and hope air clears soon for you all up north.

I try to remember to run it in recirc and I'll definitely do that more now. I think it resets modes back to auto when you turn off and turn the car back on, wish it didn't do that...

Elon said earlier on Twitter the 3s filter is second best only to the S/X... but if it climbed back to the 80s, then not sure how great that is (but going from 135 to 80 is of course helpful and don't have another comparison).

In our old honda I did replace the air filter with a 3rd party hepa filter and it seemed to help but as someone else mentioned above dropped the air flow significantly. I think with the data from your test above, frequently using recirculation seems like it may be good enough.
Is there any one to have recirculation on without having the AC on?

Don't think a HEPA does smoke an oder very well , is there a secondary or charcoal filter as well. HEPA is good for pollen and other small particles.
HEPA filters can reduce PM2.5 particulates. Even slightly lower-grade filters do. E.g. the EPA recommends using MERV 13 or higher furnace filters to help reduce the indoor particulate concentration. It would be good to know what rating the Model 3 filters have.

With a Model S loaner without bioweapon mode, I was able to reduce the PM 2.5 level from 200 to about 50 by putting recycle on and full blast on AC. My guess the Tesla filter has a MERV 13 rating which filters about 75-80% of the particles.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: csshih and Dmagyar
I think HEPA should have been included in the Premium Interior to start with, like in Model X and Model S.

For $5,000 price without HEPA, I do have to say the premium interior package feels a bit overpriced.

There are times you really want it, like when there is wildfires or when the car in front of you makes huge ICE combustion smell.

I think HEPA should have been included in the Premium Interior to start with, like in Model X and Model S.

For $5,000 price without HEPA, I do have to say the premium interior package feels a bit overpriced.

There are times you really want it, like when there is wildfires or when the car in front of you makes huge ICE combustion smell.

Few things are premium in that package. Not the seat construction, no the interior materials. The stereo, yes but it already should be decent. I agree with you that it should be in there. My Toyota truck with a lower trim level even included a wireless phone charger built in which the Model 3 should have standard.

Last edited: