TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

HEPA filter in Tesla Model 3?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Lox24, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Lox24

Lox24 Member

I'm considering ordering a HEPA filter to upgrade the stock on in my new Model 3:

Has anyone done it? I've also got an Air Quality Monitor coming to do some testing.

2. OzVic

OzVic Member

3. webbah

webbah Member

I installed the one from Abstract Ocean and can tell a difference driving in city traffic with diesel cars in front of me. It’s made from a 3M Hepa filter but is nowhere near the thickness or size of the Model S or X biodefense HEPA filters. Best we can do though!

HEPA Cabin Air Filters for Model 3 (sold as a pair)

“Made as a perfect replacement for the factory filters (p/n 1107681-00-A), these add 3M HEPA filter media and activated carbon to keep the air inside your Model 3 beautifully clean.”

4. Petros

Petros Member

Thanks @Lox24 for bringing this up. My understanding is that it’s HEPA that does the best job of filtering particulates.
    Another thing to go into that thread about stuff that’s missing from the Model 3.

Damn well need HEPA in fire season.

5. Sparty93

Sparty93 Member

Also keep in mind the S/X have a positive cabin pressure system in addition the the huge HEPA filter. The positive pressure system is what really sets the S/X apart from anything else which of course the 3 can never achieve with a filter replacement. The size of the filter on the S/X is directly related to this as 100% of the new air must be pulled in through the filter. Without this system, that size filter would make no sense.

Still an upgraded filter would be better, but just like any other car.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  6. Flatbat

Flatbat Member

7. Lox24

Lox24 Member

Just using the stock filters on the Model 3, this is what the air quality looks like outside and inside today (400+ AQI, Melbourne):

Screen Shot 2020-01-14 at 1.58.55 pm.jpg

PM2.5 of 21 inside and PM2.5 of 222 outside. My house is about 150.

Overall, very impressive.

I have a HEPA filter on the way and I'll install it and compare. Suspect it will get a lot of use.

Attached Files:

• Informative x 1
  8. djayz

djayz Member

@Lox24 thanks for that, great evidence. Can you please confirm that is with recirculating air TURNED OFF?

9. Lox24

Lox24 Member

It was after a 15-minute drive with air recirculation turned on at 8 intensity.

10. Highlander1694

@Lox24, can you please give us an update on those readings with the HEPA filter?