Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HEPA Filter Replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have searched this forum for relevant information but came up short. I have a 2017 model S with Biodefence mode and 29000 miles on the odometer. Last year I upgraded both computers at Tesla Service and asked them to replace the HEPA filter. They replaced the cabin filter but not the HEPA filter. They said it is good for over 4 years and does not need replacement. I should have insisted as the manual says 3-years. They obviously did not want to rip the frunk apart.

I am now planning on doing it myself as Tesla posts instructions and there are several YouTube videos. However, I am having trouble locating a new HEPA filter. Tesla only sells the upgrade kit and not a filter. Searching Amazon provides cabin filters. I would appreciate any information that would help locate a good filter.

It's like the only part the service center usually has in stock all the time.

I did mine after exactly 4 years and I'd say that's the right timing. It was dirty but not too bad, and that's after a few fire seasons here in California.

Kind of a pain to replace since you have to remove the tub but not too hard for DIY if you take it easy.

I have searched this forum for relevant information but came up short. I have a 2017 model S with Biodefence mode and 29000 miles on the odometer. Last year I upgraded both computers at Tesla Service and asked them to replace the HEPA filter. They replaced the cabin filter but not the HEPA filter. They said it is good for over 4 years and does not need replacement. I should have insisted as the manual says 3-years. They obviously did not want to rip the frunk apart.

I am now planning on doing it myself as Tesla posts instructions and there are several YouTube videos. However, I am having trouble locating a new HEPA filter. Tesla only sells the upgrade kit and not a filter. Searching Amazon provides cabin filters. I would appreciate any information that would help locate a good filter.
I did post a service request asking for the price of the filter and how much for the install. They said the filter would cost $220 and $35 for the install by mobile service. I thought that the labor charge was a bargain compared to the hassle of ripping the frunk apart. It is scheduled for next Tuesday, 4/13/21.

I will update this post after the procedure.

According to Tesla's EPC the part number for Model S is in fact as @ucmndd mentioned 1059333-00-E:

1617917632798.png

Reactions: DerbyDave
I had the mobile service show up promptly at 8 am this morning and it took him all of 10 minutes to remove the old filter and install the new one. Just shows that if you know what you are doing it is a breeze. I could have gone longer as I live in a rural area of Florida with clean air. Four years and 39000 miles did not make the filter very dirty. However, glad I had it changes.

Apparently air goes through the HEPA filter and then the cabin filter so I would guess the cabin filter rarely need to be changed. Notice that they replace the entire fixture as he said the filter is glued into the frame.

filter.jpg

Concerning sustainability it’s an absolute terrible decision by Tesla to throw away the whole frame. Almost a symbolic decision in its value.
Again the filter itself can be had for around 40 bucks and a silicone gun or Elmers for much less. It’s super easy to remove the old pad and glue the new one in.

Reactions: grayguy and ohmman
FYI, I replaced my HEPA filter today for a second time at 5.5 years and 140,000 miles. This time I elected to go with a replacement from PureFlow Air:

At $65 it’s less than 1/3 the price of the full assembly from Tesla and much less wasteful. Installation following their YouTube video was a breeze.

No connection with the company, just a good experience. I also ordered their cabin filter and replaced it at the same time. About the same level of difficulty and time commitment for both.